Trailair Hitch Updgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #1

California
Smile Trailair Hitch Updgrade

This is simply the BEST, absolute easiest way to get better ride quality from your heavy fifth wheel toy hauler trailer. If you've got a single shock on your Trailair pinbox, do this upgrade and discover for yourself how much better the ride turns out to be.

So, the results of the additional shock absorbers added to my Trailair hitchbox are in. After hauling the trailer for 8 hours with the new system, I'm hear to tell you to DO IT. The ride quality is much better. My wife immediately commented on the new feeling, in a good way. And if the wife likes it, buddy, it's a great thing, right?

The posting on the website is here: Trailair Hitch Upgrade | You've landed on MyVoltageRV.com

Anyway, it's a great mod. Not really a mod, but more of an addition. Bump and shake, buck and heave, and all that up and down motion are dampened significantly. I'm running at 18,000 plus pounds, which is 10,000 more than my truck, so there's still going to be some transfer of energy, but man, this really makes it SO MUCH BETTER it's worth yelling about.

Some things really do make a difference, a dramatic difference, even. This is one of them. Order up your shocks and get to it!

If you have questions, fire away. I'll answer whatever you throw at me. Ask here, or post on my site, whatever you want.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

California
Below is a picture of the lower mounts for the shocks. I had to add 4 washers as shown to get even spacing, since upper bracket is wider and thicker than lower mounting bracket.

Below is the upper mount. No washers needed.

And here is a photo of the whole system in place.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

Arizona
Tom,

So as I recall, you ordered you shocks from the telephone number on the hitch? And the bolt was just a standard grade 9" bolt. I am all for giving it a try. I have not had a huge complaint about how my trailer rides but an improvement is and improvement.

Thanks
Arlan
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Tom,

So as I recall, you ordered you shocks from the telephone number on the hitch? And the bolt was just a standard grade 9" bolt. I am all for giving it a try. I have not had a huge complaint about how my trailer rides but an improvement is and improvement.

Thanks
Arlan
Yes, Arlan, that is correct. Just called up the people from the phone number on the hitch. A standard grade 9" bolt is all that's needed. If your trailer is on the lighter side, you may not notice as much help from this, as your system may be good enough. But it's worth a try if the cost isn't going to hurt you. It was a $130 expense for me.

You can see the shock on Lippert's websitefrom this link. Order online or by phone.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
Yes, Arlan, that is correct. Just called up the people from the phone number on the hitch. A standard grade 9" bolt is all that's needed. If your trailer is on the lighter side, you may not notice as much help from this, as your system may be good enough. But it's worth a try if the cost isn't going to hurt you. It was a $130 expense for me.

You can see the shock on Lippert's websitefrom this link. Order online or by phone.
I went to there website and started the order. Seems they want $165 from me. There is 10% sales tax so I am assuming they are in my home state of Arizona. But what I am not going for is the $28.43 standard 3 day UPS shipping charge. I guess I buy to much stuff Amazon Prime.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #6

Arizona
If not purchasing the LIppert one, please let me know what other shock would fit (if anyone figures it out). Would be nice to go to the autoparts store and get one off the shelf!
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmedhurst View Post
If not purchasing the LIppert one, please let me know what other shock would fit (if anyone figures it out). Would be nice to go to the autoparts store and get one off the shelf!
If you find something, let us know. The shock would have to be heavy duty. Probably something out there, but have no idea if the cost would be anywhere near what the shocks cost from Lippert.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #8

California
Quote:
I went to there website and started the order. Seems they want $165 from me. There is 10% sales tax so I am assuming they are in my home state of Arizona. But what I am not going for is the $28.43 standard 3 day UPS shipping charge. I guess I buy to much stuff Amazon Prime.
Arlan, they are not in Arizona. Lippert is located in Indiana. The price you're paying for shipping is accurate. I think the weight of the package was 10 pounds. The way I see it, money is going to be spent. Might as well spend it and enjoy the product and the work of your hands.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #9

Arizona
I guess, if I had ny choice and I knew the correct dimensions, putting 3 Rancho shocks would look pretty cool!
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmedhurst View Post
I guess, if I had ny choice and I knew the correct dimensions, putting 3 Rancho shocks would look pretty cool!
The dimensions are on the link VoltageGuy provided. They are 8.325x11.625 the shock has a 2 1/2 inch body and the collars take 1/2 bolt and are 2 1/2 inch long on top with bottom collar being slightly shorter but 2 1/2 both top and bottom would be best. No washers.

I tried a local Napa store. They could not come up with one that short.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #11

Mississippi
Do you still run the same air pressure in air bag? With golf cart in back i ran 90 psi to get to proper markings on shock….That being said hit some whoop ti dos on interstate today coming home and that one shock was going through it's full range of motion with a little bucking back to truck. You think this mod would help on this?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Do you still run the same air pressure in air bag? With golf cart in back i ran 90 psi to get to proper markings on shock….That being said hit some whoop ti dos on interstate today coming home and that one shock was going through it's full range of motion with a little bucking back to truck. You think this mod would help on this?
Hi David. I just fill the air to the mark on the shock. I haven't actually checked the pressure in some time, but the bag levels out at the mark, so the pressure is good.

Adding the extra shocks basically reduces (dampens) the motion. You won't see full range of motion with three shocks, since the extra resistance to motion cuts it way down. Bucking has almost become a thing of the past. "Almost" becuase if you hit a big enough dip, physics insists you're going to feel that, since your trailer is twice the weight of your truck (assuming you aren't towing with a Peterbuilt).

Adding the extra shocks turns out to be the biggest no brainer in the history of the world. You can't go wrong. The worst thing to happen is you spend some extra money. If someone tries this, and doesn't like it, guess what? Just remove the two shocks. You're back to the single.

Let us all know if you do this, and how you like it. To answer your question in a word, "YES." It would certainly help. Can't guarantee you'll never feel a buck again, but I can guarantee the overall driving experience will feel better. If you're tuned in to those small nuances of the motion of your truck, trailer, and the road, you might just find this is quite the refreshing addition to create an improved ride.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #13

California
Quote:
The dimensions are on the link VoltageGuy provided. They are 8.325x11.625 the shock has a 2 1/2 inch body and the collars take 1/2 bolt and are 2 1/2 inch long on top with bottom collar being slightly shorter but 2 1/2 both top and bottom would be best. No washers.

I tried a local Napa store. They could not come up with one that short.
Arlan is correct. If you have more time than money, you can probably find a heavy duty shock that fits the bill. Well, maybe I should say if you have good researching skills and can use the Internet and a telephone some other brand of shock could work.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #14

Mississippi
Thanks VoltageGuy, I have been reading about the new 2015 F-450 but then I had read the article about the 2014 (mid year) 3500 Ram offering the Hotchkiss suspension like the big rigs……okay got off subject but will look into the multi-shock option, after the door window upgrade…
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Are you still happy with this setup?
2013 1800 Goldwing
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #16

Colorado
I added the 2 shocks to mine and the wife said that it's so smooth she sometimes forgets we're towing a 42' trailer!
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:38 AM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I added the 2 shocks to mine and the wife said that it's so smooth she sometimes forgets we're towing a 42' trailer!
Thanks for the update
You may have saved my marriage!
2013 1800 Goldwing
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #18

California
ordered the shocks! going to add this mod on Friday!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:56 AM   #19

Arizona
I found the shock at Monroe: Monroe Gas Magnum - Cab Suspension #66106. Lippert's price is competitive but I can save $20 on shipping by going through my auto parts store.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #20

Oklahoma
I added the two shocks and traveled a little over 3000 miles on some pretty rough roads and absolutely no bucking or jerking!!!!
The wife started out saying it was a waste of money, after the trip she said it was smoothest ride almost like the 5th wasn't even back there.
I have to admit inside the trailer was a rougher ride or i was just driving faster

2013 1800 Goldwing