Suspension and disk brake upgrades - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

British Columbia
Suspension and disk brake upgrades

Since we have no intention in donating any more of our hard earned retirement savings to the RV manufacturers and this is going to be our last camper we decided to upgrade the running gear.

The best upgrades I have done. If like us, you do alot of towing on the old US or State highway systems and gravel backroads you should consider the suspension upgrade. Our backroads adventures in Alaska this year did in the OEM suspension.

This is what happens to the cheap factory shackles and plastic bushings. The factory shackel on the right the upgrade on the left.

The Morryde wet bolt upgrade kit comes complete with wet bolts, bronze bushings and heavy duty shackles that are just about 2 1/2 times thicker than the OEM.

I pulled the trigger on a disk brake upgrade as well. I got tired of having to adjust the electric
dumb (pun intended) brakes every 2500-3000 miles. The disk brakes on the trailer are a nice complement to the upgraded brakes on our truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2546  

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

Nevada
HDdecker, Not what I want to see, coming back from Alaska, since I want to go up that way next year......

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
HDdecker, Not what I want to see, coming back from Alaska, since I want to go up that way next year......
I would highly recommend the upgrade before you go. There were alot of frost heaves that were worse than they looked and some that come up out of no where.

Also alot of highway reconstruction, The worst chunk or road we travelled was Hwy 1 on our way to Valdez from Anchorage, alot of construction and some pretty big holes.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I would highly recommend the upgrade before you go. There were alot of frost heaves that were worse than they looked and some that come up out of no where.

Also alot of highway reconstruction, The worst chunk or road we travelled was Hwy 1 on our way to Valdez from Anchorage, alot of construction and some pretty big holes.
Oh ya, forgot, it's in a 3 way tie for first place in our journeys with Arizona and New Mexico.

What a wonderful contrast in human survival.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Nevada
Hddecker, Thanks for the info, Arizona is one of our places for the winter, to get away from the snow, (if we get any snow)...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote