Stupid mistake - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Texas
Stupid mistake

What I like about this forum is learning from other RVers successes & failures. So I'm not too proud to post my stupid mistakes... just finished posting one to a thread about the AC dripping water.

I had two stupid mistakes this weekend... the other you would think I should know better after tearing the roof on my last toy-hauler on a tree branch.

No dogs allowed at our campground this weekend, so I had to pull through the neighborhood to drop them off at my daughters in Austin. I thought I was real careful to avoid any overhanging branches and when I climbed on the roof to check the AC I didn't notice any tears.

I turned on the satellite antenna to a loud grinding sound and cut the power. Climbed up to take a look and before I was so busy looking at the roof fabric for tears I didn't notice the satellite dome had a huge dent in the side, my guess would be from hitting a tree branch.

That stupid mistake was a freebie... I got lucky and was able to remove the dome and pop out the dent so the antenna could aim.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
What I like about this forum is learning from other RVers successes & failures. So I'm not too proud to post my stupid mistakes... just finished posting one to a thread about the AC dripping water.

I had two stupid mistakes this weekend... the other you would think I should know better after tearing the roof on my last toy-hauler on a tree branch.

No dogs allowed at our campground this weekend, so I had to pull through the neighborhood to drop them off at my daughters in Austin. I thought I was real careful to avoid any overhanging branches and when I climbed on the roof to check the AC I didn't notice any tears.

I turned on the satellite antenna to a loud grinding sound and cut the power. Climbed up to take a look and before I was so busy looking at the roof fabric for tears I didn't notice the satellite dome had a huge dent in the side, my guess would be from hitting a tree branch.

That stupid mistake was a freebie... I got lucky and was able to remove the dome and pop out the dent so the antenna could aim.
Man, you know we spend a lot of time looking for overhead things, in front of us things and under us things so we don't rip, tear, dent or scratch the RV.

It's a wonder we even get down the road. I tore 42 foot of roof rubber the second pull on the only overhanging Mesquite tree in Arizona that happened to be where I wanted to park.

If that cherry ain't broke yet it soon will be

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #3

Colorado
The day we took delivery of our 240BHSL I clipped a cement gas pump post pulling out from fueling up! The day we bought it!!! Luckily just "removed" the right rear red corner light. Easy fix and very minimal damage. Could have been a disaster!
Have had no issues for 2 years then a few weeks ago I was backing up a 5X8 box trailer to put it in next to my camper. Thought I had plenty of room but ended up catching the side of the camper with the trailer. Luckily I was creeping it into place and again, minimal damage but it left a mark.
Glad I'm not the only one who screws up once in a while
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #4

Florida
When we got back from our trip to up state NY yesterday, I got camper in its usual parking spot, shore power hooked up, leveled. Time to bring out the slides! Wife was inside with remote, I was outside watching clearances, bedroom slide worked great, main slide great, then the galley slide. It came out about 6" and the aft end came to a sudden stop while the fore end kept on moving. I yelled (like a little girl!) for her to stop. After a few seconds of discusion, we pulled the slide in all the way and try bring it out again. Retracted normal and flush. Bring it out again and same thing happened (yes, the little girl yell too). Retract again. I start thinking the motor must be bad, so I decide to attempt the manual over ride. Cleaned 10 days of camping supplies out of basement storage and prepare to crawl on my back in basement, but first I had better tell DW how I need her help with the over ride.
I walk into kitchen and was looking at the fore edge of slide, normal. Walk around the bar to look at aft end and noticed the pantry door was missing! Well, not really missing, but wide open, wedged between slide and wall.
The slide was hooking the door knob and grinding to a halt.
Retracted slide, closed pantry, extended slide without further issue.
DW claims she didnt see it because her photo-grey glasses were being slow to change back clear.
I see a new mod coming from this!

At least Dutchmen put a strong door knob on the pantry door.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

Michigan
I have had same issue with pantry door not staying closed - I had to shim the lower hinge to bring the catch back into alignment with the door jamb.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

Texas
You might be tempted to tie a retractable dog leash to the garage entry door grab handle so puppy can wander around without harm...

DON'T!!!

When you let you dog off the leash at the front door and the leash snaps back you'll have additional ventilation through the busted garage window.

This I know.

Mike & Helen
Old 08-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
You might be tempted to tie a retractable dog leash to the garage entry door grab handle so puppy can wander around without harm...

DON'T!!!

When you let you dog off the leash at the front door and the leash snaps back you'll have additional ventilation through the busted garage window.

This I know.
I feel bad for laughing, but I did. Makes me feel a little better about losing my ac and radio this weekend.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
you'll have additional ventilation through the busted garage window.

This I know.
Good News: I found the website to order a replacement frameless window direct from the manufacture.
Bad News: You cannot order it by size you must have a part number.
Good News: There is a label with the part number on the window.
Bad News: The label is on top of the frame so the window has to be removed.
Good News / Bad News: They do not sell a replacement pane only, you have to buy the whole window, so it should be fairly easy to install.

I don’t know how bad the news will be about the price… yet!!!

Mike & Helen
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #9

Florida
Any chance you can tell me where you ordered a replacement window? Our story is not as funny as yours, the mower threw a rock. But Camping World had the RV for 6 weeks and still no window in sight.
Jashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Texas
Still have a piece of plexi glass taped up... haven't taken out the window to get the part number. According to the Rep at the website listed below the label with the part number is on the top inside of the window frame which has to be removed to view. They would not order by size, only with the part number. I started to unscrew the inside frame to pop it out and look at this label, but then realized I was going to have to removed the window shade / valance to get at the screws in the top of the frame, so I stopped. Also, this would definitely be a two man job, one inside and the other on a ladder outside. I'm just going to tip it out to view the label and then re install to wait on the replacement window to ship. Wish me luck... DW has been doggin' me to get this done ASAP!!!

LINKS: http://www.kinrowindows.net/index.html
Page Title

Mike & Helen
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #11

Wyoming
Windows for all Voltage models... 2014 parts listed at the link below. For other years, just change the year in the drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Trekwood RV Parts - Search Results
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #12

Texas
THX ATCguy... If I had this Teakwood link back when I broke my window I'd probably already have a new one installed.

The measurements of my broken window from edge to edge of the outside glass are almost 45 X 41 with the bottom vents around 22 X 20 each. There are two on the Teakwood site listed as 44 X 40... one is $980 and the other $450. This makes me unsure about the measurements and uncertain about the different FSVD part #'s (Fixed, Slider, Vent, Double???)

I'm gonna pull the window to get this part # so I order the right one.

With my luck I can already tell you it'll be the thousand dollar one...
WOW that was a stupid mistake!!!

Mike & Helen
Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #13

California
Quote:
THX ATCguy... If I had this Teakwood link back when I broke my window I'd probably already have a new one installed.

The measurements of my broken window from edge to edge of the outside glass are almost 45 X 41 with the bottom vents around 22 X 20 each. There are two on the Teakwood site listed as 44 X 40... one is $980 and the other $450. This makes me unsure about the measurements and uncertain about the different FSVD part #'s (Fixed, Slider, Vent, Double???)

I would think you insurance should pay - your deductible under collision.
That's how I got my over $4,000 tire blowing damaged repaired on my Teton.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #14

Florida
Thanks for the Help....I managed to find a Dinali Dealer a couple of hours away who indicates it's a simple thing to order, which I hope is true! Afterall, it's taken 6 weeks at the local RV place and they finally gave up. They gave me all their paperwork.....and it seems their tape measure must have been made in China.....their measurements were much different than what I just measured! Wish me luck...
Pullrite SuperGlide with Morryde Pinbox
Jashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I would think your insurance should pay -
Yes it should... a broken window would be covered under comprehensive, but I raised my deductible to $500 and I need to cool it on the insurance claims. I pay the small ones outta pocket, since '08 I've had several blowouts and a torn roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley View Post
Wish me luck...
I wouldn't wish my luck off on anybody!!!

Mike & Helen
Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 AM   #16

Texas
Quote:

You definitely want to pull the number. Engineering documentation is worse than their quality. The one warranty claim I had was a leaking window in rear bath. My dealer sent me two windows that were not close to right. Finally they had me pull window and get number and viola, perfect fit. I now have two windows that I'm thinking about installing in horse trailer. Yea, cost to ship them back was more than they paid for them.

2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote