Shock kit install..Coleman 296RKS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2019, 11:54 PM   #1

Louisiana
Question Shock kit install..Coleman 296RKS

I am installing the Lippert 281281 shock kit on my Coleman. All went exactly as planned per the instructions....ALMOST. As I got to the upper bracket and shock fit I find I have plenty of room between the frame and shock. I have outboard contact with the shock and tire. My pre-install measurements seemed good, but obviously I missed on this one. I seem to have more than plenty of room to use 1/4 inch wheel spacers to set the tires out far enough. There is more than plenty of threads on the lugs to go out as well. My experience building cars tells me as long as there is clearance and torque is maintained on the wheel this should be fine. Has anyone done this mod and did you have this issue.

lcart00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Oregon
I have never installed this kit but I looked into it once. You would think with a Lippert frame and a Lippert shock kit it would fit without having to do any modification. Is it possible that the new shock U bolt plates are reversed or in the wrong position?
I don't think I would run wheel spacers. There is alot of flex in trailer wheels.

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #3

Louisiana
All mounted according to instructions to the outside of the frame. I may re-measure to the inside of the frame. Have gotten no useful response from either manufacturer. Good thing is it is still in service till I get an answer or it cools off some.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #4

Oregon
The vidieo I watched showed the upper bracket on the outside of the frame.
I was also wondering if your axle is perfectly centred? If your off a half inch could make the difference.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

Louisiana
Same one I saw. I thought about the frame/axle location as well and all measures ok. I did crawl under and look at inside the frame and it is clear for that. I did see one kit that mounted to the inside. I am calling Lippert and see if it is any big difference as long as shock angle is maintained.