Roof question for desert dwellers. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

British Columbia
Roof question for desert dwellers.

Have any of you desert dwellers used this stuff on your roof? CoolCoatâ„¢ | Dicor Products | Official Website

I have used a paint/coating that has the ceramic micro-beads in it. The paint wears like iron and certainly makes a big difference in heat gain/loss in the house.

Dicro tells me that it should last 3-5 years when applied according to directions.

As usual, because it's an RV product it's ridiculously priced. The roof on our camper is about 1/10th (if that), the size of the area of house and priced about three times the price I paid for the paint.

I don't mind paying the price if it works.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

California
I like their add roof was a scorching 107. 107 degree roof out here in the desert would be in April or May. Yes I have used it and it works. Not cheap but holds up well when our roofs get 107, make that more like 127/137 degrees,
It wouldn't be a desert if roof only got to 107.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Let me do some digging around. There has to be another source of this stuff besides from Dicor. Quick check of several industrial/coating product lines that I am familiar with does not come up with anything with "microcells" or their equivalent.

I use a variety of roof coatings, however I have never seen microspheres listed as an ingredient. We us a lot of Trucco, but I don't know if it has the performance that you area looking for. I used Trucco on an Airstream on the center top panel and it made a noticeable difference in the interior temps.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks, Mike and Aaron.

I know the ceramic micro-bead paint performs, since we painted the walls we are using less wood and the furnace is'nt firing at night as much. I wasn't sure how the rubber compound would perform as a carrier.

Aaron, you jogged my memory. The paint that we used can be used on asphalt shingles, cement and clay roof tiles. I'll stop at the paint store when we go to town tomorrow and get the product brochure. It's been 12 years since we did the walls, so I don't remember all of the surfaces that it is compatable with.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Colorado
Used Cool Coat on my house that had a flat roof when I lived in Tucson. It is a quality product and I felt worth the money. We bought it from a local paint store. I don't know but I would doubt Dicor bought the company, or has exclusive rights, since there is such a large market for houses. If anyone sells it it has to be less than Dicor's price would be.

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Here is a link it is KoolCoat Dicor is owned by Carlisle/Syntec we put down a fair bit of their products, primarily their single ply membranes, probably around a million square feet a year.

Aaron
Old 04-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Here is a link it is KoolCoat Dicor is owned by Carlisle/Syntec we put down a fair bit of their products, primarily their single ply membranes, probably around a million square feet a year.

Aaron
Thank you, Aaron.

They have some interesting products, I'm sure I can find what I am looking for, now I just need to track down a supplier. If all else fails, I can get it shipped to Oroville WA and go for a drive to pick it up.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
Used Cool Coat on my house that had a flat roof when I lived in Tucson. It is a quality product and I felt worth the money. We bought it from a local paint store. I don't know but I would doubt Dicor bought the company, or has exclusive rights, since there is such a large market for houses. If anyone sells it it has to be less than Dicor's price would be.

Dale
Thank you, Dale.

I was sold on ceramic coatings when I first saw headers coated with ceramic. When I saw the paint with the creamic beads, I had to try it. That was 12 years ago and there is not a mark on the walls. Once the paint has hardened it's like trying to cut steel, I had to move a light switch and trying to cut through the paint to get to the sheetrock took half a dozen cuts with a new blade.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:45 AM   #9

Michigan
Bought this screen mesh three sections air conditioners not covered works awesome

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mx37000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

British Columbia
Aaron,

What can you tell me about Inland Coatings products. The building supply company that I deal with stocks the Inland stuff. They can special order Carlisle Syntech products, but the shipping kills you.

Inlands cool roof product is solvent based vs the Carlisle water based product. Inland doesn't need a primer/adhesion enhancer like the Carlisle does.

I spoke to the tech guys at Inland and they tell me that when applied as directed there is no adverse reaction the the EPDM membrane.

I have a souce for the ceramic beads, so I can add them to the Inland product. The Inland product is has the advantage of not having to be completed in one day, which would take some the time pressure off.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx37000 View Post
Bought this screen mesh three sections air conditioners not covered works awesome

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thank you, for the tip.

I have one of them screens on my awning, amazing how much it helps to lower the temperature. But I'm looking to get another ten years out of my roof, so it's the coatings that I'm researching.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Aaron,

What can you tell me about Inland Coatings products. The building supply company that I deal with stocks the Inland stuff. They can special order Carlisle Syntech products, but the shipping kills you.

Inlands cool roof product is solvent based vs the Carlisle water based product. Inland doesn't need a primer/adhesion enhancer like the Carlisle does.

I spoke to the tech guys at Inland and they tell me that when applied as directed there is no adverse reaction the the EPDM membrane.

I have a souce for the ceramic beads, so I can add them to the Inland product. The Inland product is has the advantage of not having to be completed in one day, which would take some the time pressure off.
Jim,
Not familiar with that brand. We have done color coatings on EPDM in the past, I will have to see if I can find out what they were. Me and Jimmy found our lost shaker of salt and are camping this weekend.

Aaron
Old 05-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Jim,
Not familiar with that brand. We have done color coatings on EPDM in the past, I will have to see if I can find out what they were. Me and Jimmy found our lost shaker of salt and are camping this weekend.

Aaron
Enjoy your weekend. I gave up looking for that lost shaker of salt and my limes went bad. They just get in the way of the Tequilia anyhow!

The tech guy gave me a tip on the application, he says to use the grey @ .75 gal per square for the base, then do the top coat @ 1.25 gal per square. Makes it easier to see if your getting it all covered.

I got a couple samples of their seam sealer, coating, mesh and a credit card sized wet film thickness gauge. If I can sneek away from the honey do list long enough to take the garnish off the bathroom fan and get a peice of material to play with.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Aaron,

Arron,

I'm working on my list of stuff to do on the camper and still haven't got to the roof yet.

I've decided I'll go with the Inland Coatings stuff and add bulk ceramic beads. I like their system of the brushable seam sealer. It appears to me to be the best of both worlds, The brushable with the fiber mat embeded, it gives one the impression of Eternabond beneath a smooth rollon finish.

I can't say I'm crazy about using my 3200 PSI pressure washer on the roof. But I have a neighbor that has a little electlic in the 1000 PSI job and I do think it's his turn.