Roof Membrane Replacement - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #21

British Columbia
Roof Membrane Replacement

I completed installation of all the devices on the roof, including both AC’s & Sat Dish. What’s remaining at this point was the application of the “self-leveling caulking” along all seams & fasteners.
I decided to do some maintenance on both AC’s before I reinstalled them. This included, chemically cleaning both evaporators & both condensers. On the 15K rear unit you can see evaporator plenum outer insulation [white sheet foam] which deteriorated & was picked up in the condenser airstream & collected in a few areas of the condenser, along with cottonwood fluff, & lots of dirt ! I reinsulated the evaporator outer plenum. Both units cleaned up well, I also replaced foam gasketing used to separate conditioned air from unconditioned air, I also reglued several foam gaskets which the glue had dried out, resulting in air bypass. I would expect now that the operating temps/pressures will be back closer to factory operating specifications. I purchased the foam seal mounting kits from Camco & found that they have made some improvements, in particular the foam blocks which maintain clearance & carry the bulk of the weight between the compressor mounting & the roof as I mentioned this issue in my first one or two posts.
I replaced all plastics [vents, covers, & skylight] with new, & changed out the bathroom skeleton fan with the better & quieter “Fantastic Fan” assembly.
I have since now completed the caulking, & dismantled the scaffolding, the Fall rains have arrived like gang busters ! I am working inside the trailer now. The bathroom is almost completed, the kitchen will be next. I have opened up all the basement area to allow me to do a number of changes electrical/plumbing etc., down there, plus I want to have future access to my main mechanicals, during trips to keep an eye on things ! I should also mention that when I removed the furnace & hot water tank to service them, I found signs of mineral laden water, which had been dripping on the top of the furnace at the fan motor/electrical end. You cannot see this, unless you remove the furnace. I traced this upward & found the “black water flush” vacuum breaker had been installed by the factory, behind the shower stall wall. I relocated it’s position now under the bathroom sink where I can monitor any future leakage. I have been able to maintain just over 4’ of vertical head to keep the suction on the vacuum break, to prevent potable water contamination. The foam gaskets used to seal the furnace to the floor ductwork were dried out & I suspect a lot of air bypassing was going on during operation. The factory seems to rely a lot on aluminum tape for duct sealing etc. I will reinstall the furnace using a high temperature RTV gasket maker, some aluminum sheet metal, & screws.
Anyway, the roof chapter hopefully is now complete, thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210070.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5892   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210069.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	5893   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210073.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	5894   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220080.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	5895  

Fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #22

Nevada
Fulltilt, I give it to you my friend, I have worked on repairing damage to RV from Accidents and have added things to the roof, antenna,s etc. but after looking at what you were able to complete, that is a tough job and for your age, i'm 67 also your the man, I have replaced a whole side of a Truck Camper, but your job looks harder....Great Job and can't wait to hear about your repairs inside.

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #23

British Columbia
Thank you RVNevada, my job was no more difficult than what you have done, when you get our age, the body starts telling us that the mind still thinks we're 25 !!!! but we'd better hurry up just in case !!!!!!!!! I will continue to take pictures as I go inside
Old 09-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #24

Illinois
Great job. I am proud of you and don6even know you. I also might say you are pretty handy. Congrats
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:09 AM   #25

California
@Fulltilt, very impressive to say the least. It’s also nearly criminal what these manufacturers do and get away with in the way they build these things. Only a few more minutes during assembly would result in infinitely better quality at almost no greater costs for the manufacturers.

None of the manufacturing defects will likely show up in the nearly universal one year warranty period but they certainly will down the road so I guess they don’t care.

The way these manufacturers go out of business regularly is not a surprise.

So frustrating.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:48 PM   #26

British Columbia
Thank you Local150...maybe we will be participating in a future post again one day !
Old 09-27-2019, 12:00 AM   #27

British Columbia
I know dsol, RVing can be frustrating at times, it is the nature of the beast...I read recently several members equated that a travel trailer rolling down the road could be equivalent to experiencing a 6.0 earthquake inside the unit ? I think they would be right ! Thank you for your encouragement, & I hope that you too will have many enjoyable moments !!