Re-caulking the roof seams - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #1

Washington
Question Re-caulking the roof seams

Well, a lot of the caulking was starting to look a little iffy after two years so I cleaned things up some and layed down a new layer on the front and rear seams, down both sides and around the breathers and TV antenna.

That took 12 tubes of self leveling and one and a half of the non-self leveling stuff.

I still have to do around the three vents but with the Maxx Air covers the caulking still looks good there luckily. I have to order more Dicor to do them. This will be my second re-order.

How much of this stuff do you guys usually go through?

I'm basically laying it down and letting it "self-level" and I know it's ending up pretty thick. It looks good and I feel good about having a good thick barrier; but geez, this stuff is getting expensive.

I might try some eterna-bond for some of this next time, but this should last at least two years before I have to worry about it.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #2

Wyoming
I hate to tell you this now but...
I took a workshop on RV sealants and they advised strongly to fully remove all the old sealants first, then clean the seams to remove any oils, dirt and such and then apply new sealants.
I will be doing mine next year but I don't know how much I'll need yet.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #3

Washington
Thumbs up

No problem, I've heard both. The guy that replaced the roof on the '92 Rockwood my dad gave us said it was it was ok to caulk over the exhisting stuff if it wasn't peeling and was clean. Worked great, I don't expect any different this time.

I may scrape it off next time so it doesn't get so high it causes more wind drag.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Hut

North Carolina
Has anyone used eterna bond before? I've heard good things and it sure looks better. They say to clean really good before applying. I'm wondering how long it lasts.
Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #5

New York
Eternabond Roof Seal Tape on a Sunline (Lots of pics) - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

Ok here is a write up from my frined John B, over on the Sunline Owners Forum....over on SOC there is a loyal following for eternabond.
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote