Protection for running a generator in inclement weather - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Colorado
Protection for running a generator in inclement weather

Hi all,
Looking for ideas on protecting my generator if I have to run it when it's raining. A home made project would be my first choice. I found GenTent but it is $200.

Dale

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Wyoming
OK, I assume you're talking about a portable generator here...

Why not just a 2'x2' piece of ¾" plywood (or larger if needed) for a platform, sitting on top of a couple of 2x4s underneath your rig... all salt-treated, of course? The 2x4s will allow any ground water to drain underneath your setup, and the rig will keep the generator sheltered from the rain. And when not in use, the wood won't take up much space in your rig.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

British Columbia
How will you be storing the generator when not in use, in the truck or on the camper.

Did you go with the Yamaha 2800i or a smaller set up?

Mine sits in the truck for now and I use a 25' foot extension, that of course won't work so well in Suburban. I would like to mount my genset on the back bumper, but it needs some reinforcement before I do that.

Most of the campers I have seen with a bumper mounted generator just have a cover or tarp over them, to keep the road grime off. I can't say that I've seen any generators that are completely covered when they are running in the rain. Under campers or a picnic table is about the most protection from the rain I've ever seen. Mine gets a bit of rain on it when it's running because It's near the back of the truck and I leave the canopy windows open so the exhaust can escape.

If you are storing the generator in the truck when not in use, Tom's solution is about the best you can do without spending a bunch of cash.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
How will you be storing the generator when not in use, in the truck or on the camper.

Did you go with the Yamaha 2800i or a smaller set up?

Mine sits in the truck for now and I use a 25' foot extension, that of course won't work so well in Suburban. I would like to mount my genset on the back bumper, but it needs some reinforcement before I do that.

Most of the campers I have seen with a bumper mounted generator just have a cover or tarp over them, to keep the road grime off. I can't say that I've seen any generators that are completely covered when they are running in the rain. Under campers or a picnic table is about the most protection from the rain I've ever seen. Mine gets a bit of rain on it when it's running because It's near the back of the truck and I leave the canopy windows open so the exhaust can escape.

If you are storing the generator in the truck when not in use, Tom's solution is about the best you can do without spending a bunch of cash.
I decided to go with a Champion 4000 so I can run the AC at a reasonable altitude here in Colorado. I live at 5500' and all camping sites are way up from here. I also got it so I can power parts of the house in an emergency blackout. For camping I will get a front mounter hitch carrier and will just run the gen on the rack carrier. I'm going with the TorkLift carrier which seems to have a good lock system. Lock and Load. I'll get the gen cover for the road grime. I'm also going to build a custom pvc frame that comes apart and fits the carrier. I'll leave the sides open for the exhaust and ventilation. That's kind of a combination solution I came up with from reading all the responses.

Thanks for your, and everyone's, responses.

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
I decided to go with a Champion 4000 so I can run the AC at a reasonable altitude here in Colorado. I live at 5500' and all camping sites are way up from here. I also got it so I can power parts of the house in an emergency blackout. For camping I will get a front mounter hitch carrier and will just run the gen on the rack carrier. I'm going with the TorkLift carrier which seems to have a good lock system. Lock and Load. I'll get the gen cover for the road grime. I'm also going to build a custom pvc frame that comes apart and fits the carrier. I'll leave the sides open for the exhaust and ventilation. That's kind of a combination solution I came up with from reading all the responses.

Thanks for your, and everyone's, responses.

Dale
Dale,

That'll work, seen lots of generators on front carriers.

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote