Mounting options on the TH exterior - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

Michigan
Mounting options on the TH exterior

I am adding some additional lighting (LED light bar at about 3-4 pounds - so not too heavy) over the rear ramp and wondering what type of screws to use. I know some will say no, no, no to drilling any hole in the exterior, but it is no different than the Dutchmen mounting an awning to the side.

I could go to the local stealership and ask, but I value opinions and experiences from this forum far more than any dealers.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

British Columbia
Don,

How many screws are used? If you hit a structural member, #8 tapping screws would do nicely. Butyl tape on the back of the light will seal the screw holes and provide additional support.

If I'm not hitting a stuctural member, it's a job for nutserts, so I can get the tape compressed.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Michigan
Going to be just two screws. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Maryland
I would use these and call it good:

8x1" Square Philips Pan Head RV Screws Polar White - RV Parts Nation

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
I would use stainless #8, probably 1" to 1.25" try to hit a framing member.

Second choice would be some 3m VHB tape, actually that might be my first choice.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

Wyoming
I've already added lights to my rear ramp. If you don't want to use screws, check out the following link... starting with post #14.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...inhg-3774.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I've already added lights to my rear ramp. If you don't want to use screws, check out the following link... starting with post #14.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...inhg-3774.html
Hi, Tom. Neat idea, but I am actually mounting an LED light bar up above the awning and below the camera as a reverse light. We return from race tracks late and dark and want to see behind me when backing into the driveway. We've been thru three backup cameras now and I have no faith in them at all. Considered mounting it below the ramp but I want it up high to really throw the light around. Hoping to do this this weekend and I will post pics when complete.

I still may do this one though as well - I like it!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

British Columbia
Donz,

Were you at the wreckfest on Sunday? That was some crazy stuff, when we were at the fall race in 2013, flagman didn't get much exercise. Never saw a yellow all day, even the faster cars coming flag didn't see much use.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Donz,

Were you at the wreckfest on Sunday? That was some crazy stuff, when we were at the fall race in 2013, flagman didn't get much exercise. Never saw a yellow all day, even the faster cars coming flag didn't see much use.
Afraid we weren't, but Dover is on the bucket list for sure. Watched it from my recliner while smoking a brisket and ribs. We are going to both MIS races this year and Darlington. We do want to go back to Kentucky - we were there for the inaugural. Our usual group is too busy this time.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:22 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Afraid we weren't, but Dover is on the bucket list for sure. Watched it from my recliner while smoking a brisket and ribs. We are going to both MIS races this year and Darlington. We do want to go back to Kentucky - we were there for the inaugural. Our usual group is too busy this time.
Don't the brisket and ribs make the paper wet and hard to light?

My bucket list is Martinsville, Bristol, Richmond and of course the Lady in Black and some of the old tracks that aren't on the schedule anymore and may not even exist any more like, Birmingham, Hickory, Concord and how cool would it be to sit on the fifty yard line at Bowman-Gray and watch short track Saturday night. I'm slowing down in my old age, it's more about the history for me now.

I got my momma to thank for filling my viens with full of gasoline and oil. I was just barely walking and she would pack me up in the buggy and walk over the the little short track to watch the 1/4 midgets on Saturday afternoon. Grew up watching short track racing on 3/8 & 1/2 mile tracks under the lights.

Have to say the last few changes to the aero have made the racing alot more interesting. Be interesting to see what happens when they take the side force down a notch.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Funny thing... I grew up in Nascar country and didn't even know it! I dated a young lady many moons back, BeBe Pearson, her uncle was David Pearson, sat in the pits at Talledaga, Bristol, Martinsville and Rockingham (back when you could do that). My bride's second cousin was JD McDuffie. He died doing what he loved at Watkins Glen in 1991, she grew up on all of the old tracks around the south. To me Nascar died with Dale Earnhardt. JD's older brother was a close friend of ours as well as a relative and he passed away this past year, with him went a lot of history. All of the old timers are gone and it seems to me that the newest generation isn't in it for the same reasons. We still have relatives racing in the Super Lates and the Lucas Oil series on the dirt tracks. Don't follow it like I used to. My dad was an Indy car and Formula One fan. I still think the Pro Rally drivers are the cream of the crop. They have to be half crazy to be running at night on roads in all kinds of weather at 110%.

I have done some rally driving and competed in SCCA showroom Class F in the past, along with a few tries at endurance motorcycle racing in the small displacement classes. Now I just watch the pro's...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:28 AM   #12

British Columbia
IMHO, NASCAR got terminal long before Dale passed. As soon as they took the "stock" out of NASCAR it changed forever. NASCAR used to be like an extension of the R&D Departments for Detroit. There were some pretty neat things that came out of NASCAR's you had to build 500 for sale to the public before it qualified as a Stock Car for NASCAR's purposes. I love the things that the Pettys and the Wood brothers and all the other mechanical wizards, could do with an engine and a car off the showroom floor.

Last time I was to the Ford store, they weren't selling rear wheel drive, V8 push rod engines, in a production Fusion. Driver and fan safety trump all, but I'd like to see it in a Stock Car.

At least they are heading back to the days when it had as much if not more to do with the drivers ability as it did with how the car is tweeked and fiddled with. It's nice to see some of the second and third generation drivers coming into NASCAR.

There's even the odd driver in the sport that actually gets his hands dirty and works on the car, in between the sponsor obligations.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:29 AM   #13

Wyoming
Well, since the thread is completely hijacked now, I'll chime in...

NASCAR was part of my early childhood, as my dad raced what is now the Xfinity series (or whatever they're calling it this week) back in the 60s & early 70s. He wasn't all that good, but often raced with Lee Petty, Buck Baker, Bill Champion, etc...

This was the early days of NASCAR, and nights at our house were always LOUD... as Dad and a few friends were always working on / repairing / rebuilding the engines & car (singular... THE car)

This was were my wrenching skills first began, as... when I was old enough (5 or 6), my job was to disassemble carburetors & distributors for cleaning & rebuilding.

As we were a Ford family, Pearson and the Wood Brothers 21 car was my favorite, followed by Bud Moore's drivers... with Petty's Mopar and Junior Johnson's GM drivers being the arch enemies.

Trips to most of the area tracks was a usual occurrence... Darlington, Daytona, Charlotte, North Wilksboro, Rockingham, Richmond, Martinsville, etc, etc.

In my 20s I got to Talledega, the old Riverside road course before it closed, Pocono, Dover, and Atlanta. I began working in the FAA not long after private airplanes became the standard mode of travel for the drivers... with Rusty Wallace, Bobby Allison, and Bill Elliott leading the way as pilots, flying their own planes I knew all of their callsigns, and talked with many of them on the radio. While working at the airport in Florence, SC... NASCAR aviation would provide a number of all-access pit passes to us controllers for the Darlington races, and we would spend the 4-day weekend walking among & mingling with the drivers & crews, and watching the IROC & sportsman series races from atop their haulers. We got to know a few of them pretty well... especially Rick Masts' Skoll crew, as we played in his charity golf event each year.

These days, I just know Bill France, Sr has got to be rolling over in his grave, at the thought of the farce the sport he created has turned into. Pit road speed limits, "competition cautions", restart areas, throwing cautions for paper cups & Kleenex on the track... the list goes on & on.

I watch it on Sunday if I have nothing else going on... and even go to the track if I'm in the area, and friends wanna go. Last race I attended was in Phoenix 2 years ago. But the real racing these days is overseas in Formula 1. Them boys race! Open-wheel cars bouncing off each other, parts on the track... they keep racing. Rain... they come in, change tires, and keep racing.

Ok, I'll stop now. But I really miss the "real" NASCAR of yesteryear. When racing for the win was what it was all about... not point totals for end of the year championships. Those used to be afterthoughts.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:11 AM   #14

British Columbia
Tom,

I give up, your bringing tears to my eyes. I was over the moon when, Trevor Bayne took the 21 back in to Victory Lane at Daytona. David Pearson was one of my favorites.

I know what you mean about Bill Sr. rolling over in his grave. I don't mind the pit road speed limits so much, but give me a break, a caution for a water bottle a driver throws out the window.

We'll see this weekend if it reduction of side force puts it into the drivers hands more. I'd like to go back to the days before jack screws on the trackbar and get rid of all the drivers adjustments. You want to change the set up, you do it on pit road, manually.

Man, machine, track, = Racing.

Sorry I'm on my soapbox!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #15

Michigan
Jim - you'd love Darlington then. Especially last year, this year and for the next few as they continue the "throw back" years. Seeing Kyle Petty and Choc Myers in huge collars and bell bottoms was hilarious last year. The racing is always good there.

Have a high school classmate that works track safety as a firefighter and she gets us hot passes for each track we go to. Miami last year was a very good time in the pits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150906 Kyle Petty.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3299  
Old 05-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #16

British Columbia
Don,

I loved the throw back weekend, what we saw looked like a hoot. It was pretty funny watching some of the young drivers getting into the act, with wigs and stick on moustaches. Loved the throw back paint jobs too!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:37 AM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Don,

I loved the throw back weekend, what we saw looked like a hoot. It was pretty funny watching some of the young drivers getting into the act, with wigs and stick on moustaches. Loved the throw back paint jobs too!
Several of this year's paint schemes have also been revealed. It is just so cool to see these "old cars"take to that track
Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Several of this year's paint schemes have also been revealed. It is just so cool to see these "old cars"take to that track

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #19

Michigan
Back to original post, used #6 self tapping, 1-1/4" screws

Old 04-03-2020, 03:23 AM   #20

Wyoming
Quote:
Back to original post, used #6 self tapping, 1-1/4" screws

where did you run your wires to get them to the light bar?

coues7 is offline   Reply With Quote