Mounting options on the TH exterior - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

Michigan
Mounting options on the TH exterior

I am adding some additional lighting (LED light bar at about 3-4 pounds - so not too heavy) over the rear ramp and wondering what type of screws to use. I know some will say no, no, no to drilling any hole in the exterior, but it is no different than the Dutchmen mounting an awning to the side.

I could go to the local stealership and ask, but I value opinions and experiences from this forum far more than any dealers.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

British Columbia
Don,

How many screws are used? If you hit a structural member, #8 tapping screws would do nicely. Butyl tape on the back of the light will seal the screw holes and provide additional support.

If I'm not hitting a stuctural member, it's a job for nutserts, so I can get the tape compressed.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Michigan
Going to be just two screws. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Maryland
I would use these and call it good:

8x1" Square Philips Pan Head RV Screws Polar White - RV Parts Nation

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
I would use stainless #8, probably 1" to 1.25" try to hit a framing member.

Second choice would be some 3m VHB tape, actually that might be my first choice.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

Wyoming
I've already added lights to my rear ramp. If you don't want to use screws, check out the following link... starting with post #14.

Patio/Ramp Lightinhg
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I've already added lights to my rear ramp. If you don't want to use screws, check out the following link... starting with post #14.

Patio/Ramp Lightinhg
Hi, Tom. Neat idea, but I am actually mounting an LED light bar up above the awning and below the camera as a reverse light. We return from race tracks late and dark and want to see behind me when backing into the driveway. We've been thru three backup cameras now and I have no faith in them at all. Considered mounting it below the ramp but I want it up high to really throw the light around. Hoping to do this this weekend and I will post pics when complete.

I still may do this one though as well - I like it!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

British Columbia
Donz,

Were you at the wreckfest on Sunday? That was some crazy stuff, when we were at the fall race in 2013, flagman didn't get much exercise. Never saw a yellow all day, even the faster cars coming flag didn't see much use.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Donz,

Were you at the wreckfest on Sunday? That was some crazy stuff, when we were at the fall race in 2013, flagman didn't get much exercise. Never saw a yellow all day, even the faster cars coming flag didn't see much use.
Afraid we weren't, but Dover is on the bucket list for sure. Watched it from my recliner while smoking a brisket and ribs. We are going to both MIS races this year and Darlington. We do want to go back to Kentucky - we were there for the inaugural. Our usual group is too busy this time.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:22 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Afraid we weren't, but Dover is on the bucket list for sure. Watched it from my recliner while smoking a brisket and ribs. We are going to both MIS races this year and Darlington. We do want to go back to Kentucky - we were there for the inaugural. Our usual group is too busy this time.
Don't the brisket and ribs make the paper wet and hard to light?

My bucket list is Martinsville, Bristol, Richmond and of course the Lady in Black and some of the old tracks that aren't on the schedule anymore and may not even exist any more like, Birmingham, Hickory, Concord and how cool would it be to sit on the fifty yard line at Bowman-Gray and watch short track Saturday night. I'm slowing down in my old age, it's more about the history for me now.

I got my momma to thank for filling my viens with full of gasoline and oil. I was just barely walking and she would pack me up in the buggy and walk over the the little short track to watch the 1/4 midgets on Saturday afternoon. Grew up watching short track racing on 3/8 & 1/2 mile tracks under the lights.

Have to say the last few changes to the aero have made the racing alot more interesting. Be interesting to see what happens when they take the side force down a notch.