Modifying our Dinette - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

New Jersey
Modifying our Dinette

We,ve been looking at our dinette and can see it's not so comfortable and access to the storage underneath is awkward
at best. So we thought we'd look at reclining swivel chairs..
Our plan is to replace the bench seats with swivel chairs instead. Here's what we found so far.. Wife wont let me get the girl with the chair though

Has anyone done anything like this? Comments/recommendations welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61WBt8jFMqL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2854   Click image for larger version

Name:	51Q2asJlF9L__SL1200_.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2855   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2856  

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

British Columbia
Pat,

I have looked at several things to replace the chairs in our camper, my first thought was to go to tub chairs. I also looked at them fancy office chairs, but the only ones I can find are bonded leather and I won't by bonded leather. Bonded leather will not hold up to the type of temperature changes that it will be subjected to in a camper.

The more I look for something more comfortable, the more I'm leaning to building my own benches. Draws under the benches would be a perfect place to store the broom and mop, also a good place for my tools and repair materials.

We're not interested in having something that makes into a bed, so we can make something that will let you sit back when your reading or playing games.

The other thing that is a pain is having to lay the chairs down for travel. They don't move around much when your on a nice paved road, but when we head off the beaten path your in for a surprise. Even laying the chairs down won't stop them from walking, found one half way down the hall.

Then did I mention the storage.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

New Jersey
All excellent points..
We really aren't looking for anything to sleep on either, but I like the idea of being able to recline with your feet up.. We expect to be outdoors most of the time but it would be nice on a rainy night to lay back and watch a DVD or something. The bonded leather is another problem. I really prefer cloth seats, especially in the summer.

As for travel I figured I'd just push both chairs up to the table and run a strap thru the arms and around the table legs, sort of tying them together with the table tubular supports in between..
Hmmmmmmm lots to think about there.
Still thinking about storage. Those benches are a pain to get into..
I'm in no particular rush, So I'll just have to give a bit more thought. I appreciate the input.
Allentown, NJ
Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

California
Sure looks to me like a drawer can be made to access the storage from the flat back side.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #5

New Jersey
I'm Definitely gonna put two full width 8" deep drawers under the foot of the bed.. should be about 18 to 20" front to back..

I was looking at the wheel well section along the passenger side wall and figured I could recover some of the storage lost by taking the dinette seats out by building a cabinet under the window about 4.5 feet along the wall and about 10" deep and about 24" tall with top access.., hinging the table to it and installing of a set of fold down table legs on the opposite side, in place of those tubular table columns, so that the legs fold flat against the table ant the table just folds down flat against the wall.

I've just gotta get out a tape measure and do a sanity check after the snow melts...

I'm still working on the concept.. just need to work out the details.
Allentown, NJ
Old 01-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

British Columbia
Have you looked at them European style recliners. I've seen a few that have the leg support built into them, rather than the seperate hassock. I don't know if they would be high enough for a standard height table, but I think they offer more comfort for kicking back.

We want the same thing, more comfort at the table, but different needs. It didn't register that you need dual purpose seating. We just need something that adds comfort to table seating and the extra storage the benches would provide is a plus. But now you have me re-thinking our problem.

I do like your plan for the cabinet under the window and the drop down table. Our old Airstream had a hinged table and it's a great way to maximize th use of you space.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:21 AM   #7

New Jersey
Thanks for the input.. As for chairs the search is still on..

I spent part of today working on a layout drawing for the cabinets and fold down table. Found a reasonable folding leg on Amazon. It looks like the cabinet will be 72 inches long by 11 inches deep by 30 inches high. I'll need to shorten the table from 36" to 30" and it will extend about 41" from the wall when opened, which is about the same width as the bench seats.

The wheel well takes away about 4 inches in internal storage giving me 25 inches of internal cabinet height.

The simplest access would be hinged top lids. Still debating on how to lay out the internals, like shelf heights or lift-out stackable bins. I like having surface of the cabinet top being a place to set down snacks or drinks, without having to open the table. I made a conceptual cad drawing if your interested. Not to exact dimensions but it does define the space envelope.

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

New Jersey
Hi Jim,
thought I'd go ahead and post the drawings, gonna be away from my computer for the next couple of days..

All the best
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dinette mod.pdf (87.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: pdf dinette mod 2.pdf (86.8 KB, 122 views)

Allentown, NJ