Modifications And Upgrades To Coleman 300tq - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #1

Oregon
Modifications And Upgrades To Coleman 300tq

Thought I would share some the addons and Mods since I purchased my Coleman 300tq last month.

Folding 7' ladder storage mod using 5" vinyl fence post painted black and L brackets.

Vent Cover

Condor Motorcycle Wheel Chock installed in Garage.

Sewer Hose Storage using 5" vinyl fence post painted black and L brackets

Front and Rear Step Carpets

Wire around TV power booster so I can use my portable satellite using the exterior park cable jack.

using coax jumper plate to choose between normal operation or portable saltellite

3 TV's with mounts installed. Satellite works for all 3 TV's

Gladiator Mesh Baskets for Motorcycle helmets and gear installed in garage.

Power Tongue Jack 3500lb

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

Oregon
Large grab handles for both doors

Second battery with battery disconnect switch

Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #3

Oregon
today I added a Battery Voltminder with low battery alarm connected to the battery side of the converter

I added a 12 volt power outlet also added to the battery side of the converter
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 AM   #4
Lee

Utah
I have a 2017 Colman, how easy was the grab handle install? Was there a stud to screw into?
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 AM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have a 2017 Colman, how easy was the grab handle install? Was there a stud to screw into?
On my 2017 300tq the large Grab Handles I bought from Camping World butted up against the door jamb and the stud was there. I think a pilot hole is recommend just don't drill too deep! Measure how much screw you have sticking out the handle and set drill accordingly...
Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #6
Lee

Utah
Thanks for the info! Great work on the mods for your trailer!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

Oregon
Update on the VoltMinder Battery Monitor I added in my previous post. I originally wired it to the battery side of the converter. For some reason when using the furnace when on Battery the VoltMinder alarm would go off and the monitor would read less than 12v even though the batteries were at 12.5v. So, I had to wire the the VoltMinder directly to the batteries. I ran the wires down through the floor using the same access as Dutchman used when running the battery cables to the Converter. Now monitor reads correctly even when the furnace is running on battery...
Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #8

New Hampshire
Loving all your work on this, just adding to the list of things to do to my new 300tq LOL

Started thinking about TV's today and wondered what TV mount and TV size you went with for the living room? There can't be much to screw into as the wall between the living room and bedroom is pretty thin. How well did it seem to go in, and do you have any concerns about the weight while bouncing down the road with a larger TV?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #9

Oregon
For the main TV I went with a 39" Vizio. The recessed area for the TV would only accommodate a 24" TV and that would just not do. A 39" sits outside the recessed area and shows no gaps top or bottom. I used a double arm TV mount that allows the TV to be pushed flush against the cabinet. Plus you can pull the tv out and tilt it towards the dinette if you want.

I used 1/4" 1" lags with washers. I discovered that the backing was at least 1/2" thick and covered the entire back of the recessed TV area. I drilled pilot holes before inserting the lags. I made sure the mount was centered. I have to admit I did not give it too much thought at the time of installation but when the slide comes in it goes past half of the TV with only about 3/4" to spare. I also mounted four tie down strap loops so I could use nylon straps to tie the TV down when going down the road.

Use a drill bit stop set as to not drill to deep. Don't go too big on the pilot hole for lags.

For the smaller TV's the mounting location is marked but I used a stud finder to verify. I went cheap on the mounts. If I had to do it over again, I would spend more and get the kind that can lock in place. Instead I used strap tie downs but your limited to the small mounting area for something to screw into.

Bedroom mount

Garage Mount
Old 05-29-2017, 02:38 AM   #10

Oregon
If you like watching DVD's in HD the provided DVD player uses RCA connections so you will not have HD when watching DVD's. Picture will be grainie and not full size. You will have to add a HDMI portable DVD player or get a TV with built in DVD player. I will be using a HDMI DVD player for the main TV. The smaller TVs have built in DVD players.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #11

New Hampshire
Awesome, thanks for the info! Glad to see the living room mount area extends so large. I was assuming it would need a smaller mount like you used in the garage.

Does the mount you used in the LR lock in place? You mentioned the low clearance, is it the mount stopping you from backing it closer to the enclosure, or the width of the TV you selected? I'd be interested in the mount info you used if you feel it was the right choice. Thankfully I was measuring the opening while the slide was in, so I already noticed there is only about 5" of clearance. Would have royally sucked if you found out the clearance wasn't there after you finished the instal LOL

I figured the garage and bedroom mounting area might be smaller than the LR, but the smaller mounts there should work fine. So those are the ones you said didn't lock? I can definitely see why locking would be needed. The garage one might not even need to move, the BR one obviously does. Do you find the BR one really blocks up the BR doorway. It is kind of an odd spot. Makes you wonder why they didn't just have you mount on the opposite side of the LR area. Could even use the same mounts on both sides so you could bolt right through both mounts. Would make for a stronger set up, but have to run the wires across the roof.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #12

Oregon
For the living room TV unless you want a 24" it will have to mount outside the recessed area. I used this mount because it would allow me to mount the TV and then push it flush against the wall. The only clearance issue is with the slide.
https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Drea...+tv+wall+mount

The LV mount does not lock in place. I used these to mount behind the TV and nylon straps to hold the TV in place when going down the road. I put two on each side top and bottom run a strap under them and around the TV to hold it from moving.

The BR TV is not in the way for us. My wife is short and walks under it.

You could mount the BR TV on the backside of the TV Wall but there could be a airspace between the paneling and mount area. Plus, you would have to drill a hole to run the wires through to the connection side and put a splitter in to run two TV antenna connections.

The nylon straps don't work well for the BR and Garage mounts because the mounting area is so small there is not a large enough area to mount the eye straps. So, I would get locking mounts for them.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #13

Oregon
Note, when I mounted the LR TV, I centered the mount inside the recessed area. I used blue tape and a sharpie pen to mark the holes. I used the smallest drill bit I had to test each bolt location to make sure I was screwing into something. That's when I found out there was a fairly large mounting area. BUT, I would check yours accordingly. No telling if these units are built the same.