Maxxair Vent Covers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Arizona
Maxxair Vent Covers

I'm considering installing a couple of Maxxair vent covers on my new 2016 Kodiak 255BHSL but first wanted to see what kind of experience you all have had with them. I have a couple of specific questions as well:

1.) I live in the Phoenix, AZ area so we are prone to frequent dust storms. Ideally, I'd like to leave my vents open while the trailer is in storage to lessen the interior temperature during the summer months. I know these come with screens but I'm skeptical that they'll keep out the majority of any dust/dirt. Anyone have any personal experience with this?

2.) Maxxair has two options I'm looking at: the "original" and the Maxxair II. Maxxair II is just larger and can be opened due to its hinged brackets. Any preference you all have?

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498[1].jpg
Views:	326
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	3228  

AZ_KODIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #2

California
Welcome glad you found us.
You are right about not keeping out the fine stuff. As my RVs are parked at my house I can go out & close it when we get a wind/dust storm.
The original one works just fine. I can tell you they do help to not allow as much dirt in compared to just the vent open by itself. I do keep mine open as you say to help with the heat here in the desert. Another thing to do when storing is leave the frig doors not closed all the way. Most folks on this site have no concept of how hot it gets out here in the desert.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

Arizona
Thanks Mike! You're absolutely right about that, it gets down-right miserable in the summertime in the desert. Thank you for the tip on the fridge doors too.
AZ_KODIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

British Columbia
Hey, AZ.

Welcome to the forum.

Is there a prize if I get close to how hot it gets in the desert? I'll bet mid to high 120's in the summer months, cooling off to a comfortable 100-105 by mid Sept. Then down to shirtsleeve weather come December maybe 40-50s in the daytime and 20-30s at night.

Do I at least get a happy face.

How about when it snows, is that enough to make a desert bloom or does it have to be a downpour, so the tents that were pitched in the bottom of the arroyos go floating bye.

I love Arizona, it's my favorite state.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #5

Nevada
AZ Kodiak, I have 2 RV's and have used both the MaxAir and the Original, My Truck Camper has the Vent with just a fan and the Original works just right….Now on my Voltage, I have the Fantastic Fans with Rain Sensors, and I first put one of the Originals and the Vent couldn't open all the way, So the Maxxair is higher and works on our Fantastic Fans, so I would open your vents all the way and see which one would work for you. I live in the Desert also, and when I leave the vents open, I do get sand in the RV, its only fine, but it still takes a cleaning..
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

California
Jim
Well your close. More like mid to high teens in the summer. 100-105 in Sept is right on, Dec. more like 50's-60's. Can get down into the 20's but more like 30's -40's. at night.
Snow what's that . That only happens in the mountains around us or the desert above 3,000 ft elevation. Rain that happens more in the Az. desert then here where I'm at around Palm Springs Ca.
If we got alot of we wouldn't be a desert.

My Maxxair worked fine but that could be because I had their vent fan & not a fantastic fan.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Jim
Well your close. More like mid to high teens in the summer. 100-105 in Sept is right on, Dec. more like 50's-60's. Can get down into the 20's but more like 30's -40's. at night.
Snow what's that . That only happens in the mountains around us or the desert above 3,000 ft elevation. Rain that happens more in the Az. desert then here where I'm at around Palm Springs Ca.
If we got alot of we wouldn't be a desert.
Mike,

Never been to your part of the country, but I love AZ. I used to schedule my holidays for mid-Sept, just in time to get out of the lower mainland before the fall downpours started. Get back to work in mid to late October with a tan, while my co-workers were already turning pale.

The area around our home is at the topend of the desert, we're at 3600', our landscape would be similar to Flagstaff. We have a road that reminds me of the 2 lane road from Flagstaff to Sedona. You can feel and smell the changes as you drop down out of the pine forest into the desert valley. There can be as much as 20 degree from our place down to the valley floor and 100F+ in Kamloops is not uncommon.

We grow a great crop of sage brush and My Amstaff managed to find a little prickley pear, couldn't figure out why she wasn't coming when I called. She managed to step on it with both her back feet.

I still have to see a desert bloom.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Hey, AZ.

Welcome to the forum.

Is there a prize if I get close to how hot it gets in the desert? I'll bet mid to high 120's in the summer months, cooling off to a comfortable 100-105 by mid Sept. Then down to shirtsleeve weather come December maybe 40-50s in the daytime and 20-30s at night.

Do I at least get a happy face.

How about when it snows, is that enough to make a desert bloom or does it have to be a downpour, so the tents that were pitched in the bottom of the arroyos go floating bye.

I love Arizona, it's my favorite state.
Mine too! We own a S+B in Phoenix, but have never had the chance to live there. Now I am transferring jobs and have purchased a new 3970, we will finally have the opportunity to live in a state I really like.
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Been to AZ twice...

First time it was Mesa, in August, 114° in the shade... but it was a "dry" heat.

Second time was in November, Scottsdale, and we liked to have drowned! IIRC it was the single largest one day rainfall total on record.

I like humidity, doesn't really bother me until it gets up over the 65% range. Don't like cold, anything below 40°f is too cold in my book.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Arizona
My trailer is stored in Mesa and I have the covers you describe. I leave the vents open maybe an inch or two to dissipate the heat inside. I do get some dust but not much. It certainly isn't enough that I would close the vents. BTW, my trailer is stored next to a feed lot so there can be a lot of dust from that operation, fortunately my rig is upwind of it. I also leave the fridge and freezer doors fully open.
RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote