Making queen bed longer? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Utah
Making queen bed longer?

So I am just 6 ft tall but i am use to our king at home. With a queen "RV" size bed my feet hang over at night.

So the end of our bed it has a tv entertainment area with about 12 gap at the end of the bed. It's too narrow to really walk between the bed and tv. So the lid under the bed of a storage box could easy be changed to be extended about 6+ inches. Then put a real queen memory foam mattress.

What do you folks think?

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Washington
I think that a good night sleep is invaluable

Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #3

Great Idea, go for it!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #4

Utah
I did some measurements tonight. The mattress is a "standard" RV queen at 60 X 74 inches. Which is 6 inches shorter than a standard
queen.

During my investigation and measurement there a storage area that I store all the fishing stuff in at the end of bed. There a cover than needs to be flipped up under the mattress to access. But this cover is about 4 - 5 inches shorter than the mattress. This doesn't help the issue with my feet hang over.

In measurement that there 10 inches between the end of the plywood and the tv entertainment. So I looking at extending it about 6 inches to help the cause.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #5

New Mexico
We replaced the factory king with a residential queen serta memory foam bed. It was way nicer to sleep on however I had to trim the king plywood platform. One thing to watch out for is the need for any additional bracing.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #6

Utah
In addition we looking of updating and changing the mattress or adding a memory foam topper.

Fortunately we have great frame and internal bracing on the bed. Since I will only be extending the bed 6 inches I think we be OK.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #7

California
so a standard queen fit for you then? The stock queen fits under the side tables, arent most queens taller than whats in our 261bhs?

oh, and I feel your pain, Im 6'3" and this style of trailer is the only trailer I could fid that I fit without going to a huge trailer.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

California
I also had difficulty with the short queen since I am not a side sleeper. My wife went to Costco and picked up a memory foam topper to put on top of the standard hard RV Queen mattress that came in our Kodiak 27RBSL. At first I thought she was crazy for spending that kind of money on a topper.

It turned out to work fantastic. Since we did not extend the frame or put in a full size queen mattress, the topper effectively hangs over and slightly droops over the RV mattress. To me this seems to be the best of both worlds. I can sleep on my back without my feet hanging out of the covers and it makes it easier to walk around the bed since the topper "folds" down as I squeeze around the bed. If I had a full sized queen underneath it, I think it would have made it too difficult to get around the bed.

My wife loves the topper since she only puts the fitted sheet around the topper which makes making the bed a whole lot easier.
BenMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #9

Utah
Plug Ulgy,

On the 261BHS we have almost 11 inches between the end of the queen which is 74" long. The 11 inches between the end of the bed is useless waste of space. So extending the base to 80" will allow us to use the standard 80" bed.

Ben Morris, What type of topper did DW get? I seen 2, 3 and 6 inches and a few different brands.

Thanks.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

California
right, I get that, but my mattress fits underneath the shelf surface of either 'bed table', and only fits because the mattress is fairly thin. I dont know that I have ever seen a standard mattress as thin as what came in my 261bhs. So I was asking, I guess, are you going to have to trim the 'bed side tables' or would a regular mattress fit in there?
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #11

Colorado
When we were shopping I had the same complaint, I am over 6' and a side sleeper. A salesman suggested getting a block of foam the same thickness and depth you needed to make it 'standard' size whenn you slept. You put that at the head, it won't bother you as your pillow is there, and the small amount the mattress will hang over the platform at the foot willl not matter as there will be not any real weight there.

Just an idea for you.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #12

Utah
Plug,

The RV queen vs a normal queen only difference is 6 inches shorter. The sides are both 60 inches wide. The length is 74 vs 80 inches long. So make the bed wood bed 6 inches longer will help me out, I think.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

Utah
This is a great idea. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
When we were shopping I had the same complaint, I am over 6' and a side sleeper. A salesman suggested getting a block of foam the same thickness and depth you needed to make it 'standard' size whenn you slept. You put that at the head, it won't bother you as your pillow is there, and the small amount the mattress will hang over the platform at the foot willl not matter as there will be not any real weight there.

Just an idea for you.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #14

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMorris View Post
I also had difficulty with the short queen since I am not a side sleeper. My wife went to Costco and picked up a memory foam topper to put on top of the standard hard RV Queen mattress that came in our Kodiak 27RBSL. At first I thought she was crazy for spending that kind of money on a topper.

It turned out to work fantastic. Since we did not extend the frame or put in a full size queen mattress, the topper effectively hangs over and slightly droops over the RV mattress. To me this seems to be the best of both worlds. I can sleep on my back without my feet hanging out of the covers and it makes it easier to walk around the bed since the topper "folds" down as I squeeze around the bed. If I had a full sized queen underneath it, I think it would have made it too difficult to get around the bed.

My wife loves the topper since she only puts the fitted sheet around the topper which makes making the bed a whole lot easier.
New to this forum. Just downsized to a 265BHS. We kept our Costco topper. Agree completely with your observation on getting around the bed and using fitted sheets and would add that it is very comfortable. Our issue is trying to access the under bed storage area. The stock struts won't support the bed with the added weight.
Curdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #15

Idaho
Welcome to my world, I am 6' 5" and I feel like Ned (of Dr. Seuss fame) at night. The Kodiak 250BHSL has a short queen. Wish they would just put a full size queen in and turn them sideways. That way you would still have room to get by.
jtaylor1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curdog View Post
The stock struts won't support the bed with the added weight.
Change out the struts to heaver weight rated ones.

Our Rubicon did not have any on it - we are planning to add 2 ASAP!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curdog View Post
Our issue is trying to access the under bed storage area. The stock struts won't support the bed with the added weight.
At least you have some underbed storage. On ours that space is all but useless. Might be good for storing folded sheets or towels but you better not stack them 2 deep!

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #18

Colorado
I also found our mattress to be a little too short for comfort. I put two pool noodles at the head of the bed to push the mattress out about 3 inches. I think I spent about $8. It has definitely made a difference and the gap under the pillows is not noticeable.
krazyeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #19

Great idea on the pool noodle - I have the dinette-into-a bed that is 54x80. I bought a 54x80 memory foam mattress to go over the dinette cushions to keep it as a permanent bed as that is the only bed in the TT (you can see the layout in my signature). Wonderful mattress, but it wasn't quite 80" long once it unfolded itself from the carton it came in. Plus, the mattress creeps off the side of the bottom cushions. Those extra inches of the pool noodle will make up the difference, I hope, and might wedge the mattress into that space a little better.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #20

Alberta
Yeah the mattress sucks in the 261, we have one of those foam toppers that look like an egg carton and it helped a ton! I am 6'2 and I hang over the edge, just gotta make sure you drink more and then you don't notice!!