Light too bright - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 143
Ohio
Light too bright

In my CTS16FB there's an LED 'tap light' above the head of the bed. It's BRIGHT, and right in my eyes. I do like to use it, I just wish it were about half. I considered covering the lens with something to dim it down then I thought of covering half the diodes somehow which might look better (Small bits of electrical tape? Permanent marker?)

Anyone else have a similar issue and with a successful solution?

Thanks!

"I wear my sunglasses in bed ... "
__________________

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Member
 
dsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Calabasas
Posts: 44
California
My Voltage has the same LEDís and they are so bright I hate it.

Curious what you decide to do and how it works. I wonder if there is an opaque tape or film that could be used.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,341
Oklahoma
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+12v&_sacat=0
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,216
Tennessee
I need that bulb number, I dare it to be too bright!
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 143
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I kinda do like the idea of having an operable dimmer ... and you can never have too many remotes but I'm not looking to get that fancy. The brightness of my other lights are fine ... just this particular one shines in my eyes when lying in bed.
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 143
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I need that bulb number, I dare it to be too bright!


It's 'factory' ... so not a clue as to a model number. They are technically just LED taplights ... I have NO light switches in my trailer. The others throughout the trailer aren't "too bright" ... but this one is maybe 2' from my eyes when lying in bed. Maybe if it had been mounted to the side instead of directly overhead it'd be 'ok'?

Here's a picture of it with the lens removed, excuse the 'low light' picture ... but the quality was good enough for me to remember the quantity and rough locations of the diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_184114.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	4732  
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 563
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post


It's 'factory' ... so not a clue as to a model number. They are technically just LED taplights ... I have NO light switches in my trailer. The others throughout the trailer aren't "too bright" ... but this one is maybe 2' from my eyes when lying in bed. Maybe if it had been mounted to the side instead of directly overhead it'd be 'ok'?

Here's a picture of it with the lens removed, excuse the 'low light' picture ... but the quality was good enough for me to remember the quantity and rough locations of the diodes.
since they don't get HOT, you can use a little nail polish to cover up some of them. Just don't get any on the contacts.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,341
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I kinda do like the idea of having an operable dimmer ... and you can never have too many remotes but I'm not looking to get that fancy. The brightness of my other lights are fine ... just this particular one shines in my eyes when lying in bed.

No remote needed if you get the manual one, then you can twist and turn to your delight.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 143
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
since they don't get HOT, you can use a little nail polish to cover up some of them. Just don't get any on the contacts.
I was thinking about starting with small dots of electrical tape on, say, every other diode? Then if it's too much I can remove them.

Maybe I'll got out and experiment this weekend?
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 143
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
No remote needed if you get the manual one, then you can twist and turn to your delight.
But, but, but ... I like remotes! Comes from being both short and lazy. The only thing better would be app-enabled so I could use my phone!
__________________

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


DutchmenOwners.com is not in any way associated with Dutchmen Manufacturing, or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.