Light too bright - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 AM   #1

Ohio
Light too bright

In my CTS16FB there's an LED 'tap light' above the head of the bed. It's BRIGHT, and right in my eyes. I do like to use it, I just wish it were about half. I considered covering the lens with something to dim it down then I thought of covering half the diodes somehow which might look better (Small bits of electrical tape? Permanent marker?)

Anyone else have a similar issue and with a successful solution?

Thanks!

"I wear my sunglasses in bed ... "

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

California
My Voltage has the same LED’s and they are so bright I hate it.

Curious what you decide to do and how it works. I wonder if there is an opaque tape or film that could be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Oklahoma
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+12v&_sacat=0
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

Tennessee
I need that bulb number, I dare it to be too bright!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I kinda do like the idea of having an operable dimmer ... and you can never have too many remotes but I'm not looking to get that fancy. The brightness of my other lights are fine ... just this particular one shines in my eyes when lying in bed.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I need that bulb number, I dare it to be too bright!

It's 'factory' ... so not a clue as to a model number. They are technically just LED taplights ... I have NO light switches in my trailer. The others throughout the trailer aren't "too bright" ... but this one is maybe 2' from my eyes when lying in bed. Maybe if it had been mounted to the side instead of directly overhead it'd be 'ok'?

Here's a picture of it with the lens removed, excuse the 'low light' picture ... but the quality was good enough for me to remember the quantity and rough locations of the diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_184114.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	4732  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post

It's 'factory' ... so not a clue as to a model number. They are technically just LED taplights ... I have NO light switches in my trailer. The others throughout the trailer aren't "too bright" ... but this one is maybe 2' from my eyes when lying in bed. Maybe if it had been mounted to the side instead of directly overhead it'd be 'ok'?

Here's a picture of it with the lens removed, excuse the 'low light' picture ... but the quality was good enough for me to remember the quantity and rough locations of the diodes.
since they don't get HOT, you can use a little nail polish to cover up some of them. Just don't get any on the contacts.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
I kinda do like the idea of having an operable dimmer ... and you can never have too many remotes but I'm not looking to get that fancy. The brightness of my other lights are fine ... just this particular one shines in my eyes when lying in bed.

No remote needed if you get the manual one, then you can twist and turn to your delight.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
since they don't get HOT, you can use a little nail polish to cover up some of them. Just don't get any on the contacts.
I was thinking about starting with small dots of electrical tape on, say, every other diode? Then if it's too much I can remove them.

Maybe I'll got out and experiment this weekend?
Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
No remote needed if you get the manual one, then you can twist and turn to your delight.
But, but, but ... I like remotes! Comes from being both short and lazy. The only thing better would be app-enabled so I could use my phone!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
I was thinking about starting with small dots of electrical tape on, say, every other diode? Then if it's too much I can remove them.

Maybe I'll got out and experiment this weekend?
Electrical tape (unless you get the good stuff) will get mushy and gooey and eventually fall off leaving you with a sticky mess! You can use it as something temp but I would recommend using something that has some life to it. You can start with a few and just keep going until you get where you want it to be. I have those same lights in my RV and I know what it's like. You can always remove the lamp and use it to feed another lamp that mounts underneath that you can control with your smartphone (bluetooth) if you wish. you can use this if you want to have a party !

https://www.ebay.com/i/232056304867?chn=ps

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...82608000&ver=0
Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Electrical tape (unless you get the good stuff) will get mushy and gooey and eventually fall off leaving you with a sticky mess! You can use it as something temp but I would recommend using something that has some life to it. You can start with a few and just keep going until you get where you want it to be. I have those same lights in my RV and I know what it's like. You can always remove the lamp and use it to feed another lamp that mounts underneath that you can control with your smartphone (bluetooth) if you wish. you can use this if you want to have a party !

https://www.ebay.com/i/232056304867?chn=ps

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...82608000&ver=0
That just might be a bit more than I'm willing to do as a quick project!

Good call on the electrical tape long term goo issue. I hadn't thought that far ahead. The trick is going to be blocking only part of the overall light. I don't think nail polish would block 'all' of the light ... I might have to do an experiment on an incandescent lamp (if I still have one lying around).
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
That just might be a bit more than I'm willing to do as a quick project!

Good call on the electrical tape long term goo issue. I hadn't thought that far ahead. The trick is going to be blocking only part of the overall light. I don't think nail polish would block 'all' of the light ... I might have to do an experiment on an incandescent lamp (if I still have one lying around).
Put the nail polish on the LED's. it may take two coats to completely obliterate the light from each LED.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
You can use gels for stage lighting to cut the brightness, and or change the color. Also depending on the style of light you may be able to paint or coat the cover to reduce the amount of light.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #15

Michigan
My husband replaced our non-LED's with an LED that was way too bright. Then he just replaced it with a less bright LED. They come in different brightnesses. He probably got it on Amazon or EBay.
jschaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:04 AM   #16

California
New battery operated light

Hey, I had same issue. The lights it came with are no joke! 😎

I actually bought a light from Home Depot that resembles the existing lights but is battery operated. It has adhesive so you can stick it under the cabinet and it has 2-3 brightness / dimmer options. I couldn’t be happier. It blends right in with the other lights , doesn’t look trashy.

It’s called battery operated puck light. Attached a link for a 3 pack from Home Depot. These are fancier- mine didn’t have a remote.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

LED White Puck Light with Remote (3-Pack)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/205092939
Mnaranjo428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:01 AM   #17

New York
I’ve got the solution!

Stop the presses! I’ve got an easy, proven solution to these bright LED’s.

I did this in my 1705RB. Had the same issue with overly bright push button LED dome lights over the bed.

First, buy a tube of white silicone sealant. GE’s is good. It comes in a tube like a toothpaste tube. Available at Wal-Mart and most hardware stores. Be sure it’s 100% silicone.

Cut off a small piece of tip on the tube. Pry the cover off your LED dome light. Squeeze out a dab of silicone over each LED. Let it dry. Put the dome cover back on.

Voila! You will dim the LEDs enough to read comfortably and not be blinded. Light still comes through, it just dims it to a good level.

Under my cabinets over the dinette, I covered every other LED. You can add more dabs of silicone to your taste.

I did this last season and it worked well. Did not have any adverse effect on the dome light.

Leave the tube of silicone in your RV. It’s handy for repairs.

Happy reading! Remember to tell your friends you got the idea from Gary Coleman, the lantern guy!
Gary Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #18

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Coleman View Post
Stop the presses! I’ve got an easy, proven solution to these bright LED’s.

I did this in my 1705RB. Had the same issue with overly bright push button LED dome lights over the bed.

First, buy a tube of white silicone sealant. GE’s is good. It comes in a tube like a toothpaste tube. Available at Wal-Mart and most hardware stores. Be sure it’s 100% silicone.

Cut off a small piece of tip on the tube. Pry the cover off your LED dome light. Squeeze out a dab of silicone over each LED. Let it dry. Put the dome cover back on.

Voila! You will dim the LEDs enough to read comfortably and not be blinded. Light still comes through, it just dims it to a good level.

Under my cabinets over the dinette, I covered every other LED. You can add more dabs of silicone to your taste.

I did this last season and it worked well. Did not have any adverse effect on the dome light.

Leave the tube of silicone in your RV. It’s handy for repairs.

Happy reading! Remember to tell your friends you got the idea from Gary Coleman, the lantern guy!
Excellent idea!

What I've done so far.

I measured the light at my pillow with a light meter and measured 19 footcandles (which is pretty bright, BTW).

I used a black Sharpie and colored half of the diodes, replaced the cover and remeasured ... 14fc.

I then covered the remaining diodes with the Sharpie and it took it to 6fc.

The light level is now 'ok', but it changed the color temperature of the light output from warm to cool. This wouldn't generally be a problem, but as an electrical engineer / lighting designer it bugs me. Overall cool light is fine, but not when the rest of the fixtures are warm!

I may see if I can remove the Sharpie marks and try the silicon suggestion.

By the way these LED pushbutton dome light covers screw off (don't pry them for fear of damage).
Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #19

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaus View Post
My husband replaced our non-LED's with an LED that was way too bright. Then he just replaced it with a less bright LED. They come in different brightnesses. He probably got it on Amazon or EBay.
These are factory LED fixtures ... non-replaceable 'bits'. But thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #20

New York
Try a little rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol on a Q-tip to remove those Sharpie lines. Hope that works!

Sorry I didn’t see your thread earlier but I did post a thread about this last year, “Taming LED lights”.

I think you’ll like the results!

Gary Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote