King Controls OA8201 Black Jack Antenna with Surelock by King Controls - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #21

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yeah, well... no problem there for me. I keep a placard velcroed in front of my slide out switches. The bedroom slide doesn't come in until the antenna comes down, since I can't get to the crank with the slide in. And, I already had the Windward SensorPro Signal Meter.

Also, I like like the taller mast, as it's a good mount for my even taller WiFi repeater antenna.

But, that's why it's nice to have options... as we all have different needs & priorities.
ATC GUY, How did you route the WIFI antenna coax over to the spot in the roof where the mast is?

boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #22

Oklahoma
Occupant5154,
That is exactly what I thought I was going to have to do. Today I hope to get on top and truly figure out where the hole will be. I'm afraid of the bedroom wall being where it falls and then I will have to move the jack forward or backwards from the original position. With the size difference you talk about I may be golden. Thank you for your response that helped a bunch. I think after measuring today I will pull the trigger. I see it on Amazon.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiejim View Post
Occupant5154,
That is exactly what I thought I was going to have to do. Today I hope to get on top and truly figure out where the hole will be. I'm afraid of the bedroom wall being where it falls and then I will have to move the jack forward or backwards from the original position. With the size difference you talk about I may be golden. Thank you for your response that helped a bunch. I think after measuring today I will pull the trigger. I see it on Amazon.
Jim,

Occupants pictures tell the story.

Couple of things come to mind that may take some of the stress out of cutting the hole in the roof. You can get a quick idea of where the hole in the ceiling is going to land, measure from a fixed point (like a black or gey water stack) on the roof to the Jensen hole. Find the interior wall where the stack runs through and measure to the bedroom wall. If that measurement gets you to the middle of the bedroom you know your not going to land in the middle of the bedroom wall.

If it looks like it might be close to an interior wall, this little trick can tell you exactly where that wall is when your on the roof. It sounds bazzar, but it works, get an old coat hanger (the kind the dry cleaners use) and cut the long part out. Insert the straight peice of coat hanger wire drill, run the wire between the ceiling trim and the wall, slowly run the wire up through the ceiling, when you feel it make contact with the roof sheathing, run the drill very slow at this point. As soon as you feel the wire penetrate the sheathing stop, so you don't twist the roof membrane. You can now see where the bedroom wall is in relation to the Jensen antenna.

Worst case, you will have to seal a small hole in the roof membrane, but you will fairly accurate point to take measurements from on the roof.

The coat hanger thing is a little trick I picked up running phone lines and built in vacuum systems, etc.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
We just run the coat hanger right on through... but then again we are roofers! I think the only thing more destructive than roofer is a pipe fitter. I had guys actually drill through a roof and anchor something to a schedule 80 steam pipe elbow!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #25

Florida
I replaced the head only on mine too. Works good and did not have to remove and replace anything except the head. took about 15 minutes
Old 07-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #26

Oklahoma
It's in!!! Doing exactly what I needed. I have more channels. Now to determine if I can just reuse the existing splitter and power source from the Jensen antenna. The only difference between the two seems to be, the Jensen power source has the antenna connection for the Jensen stereo. The hanger wire worked great I got the hole drilled in. I just used a 2" hole saw, and the new jack antenna covered all the old screw holes without the extra mounting plate. Now I just need to seal it up. It going to rain today so I better hurry.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
It's in!!! Doing exactly what I needed. I have more channels. Now to determine if I can just reuse the existing splitter and power source from the Jensen antenna. The only difference between the two seems to be, the Jensen power source has the antenna connection for the Jensen stereo. The hanger wire worked great I got the hole drilled in. I just used a 2" hole saw, and the new jack antenna covered all the old screw holes without the extra mounting plate. Now I just need to seal it up. It going to rain today so I better hurry.
Way to go, Jim.

Personally I would go with Jack splitter and add one of these for the radio. Tune Trapper Hidden AM FM Antennas For Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Stereos, Radios

You may as well upgrade the whole system with better than OEM stuff.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #28

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostme View Post
ATC GUY, How did you route the WIFI antenna coax over to the spot in the roof where the mast is?
I must have missed seeing this last week... sorry.

The WiFi antenna went on the same time as my DirecTV dish, so we ran the coax thru the same hole in the roof that we drilled for the DirecTV coax... which happens to be on the opposite side of the RV than the OEM wind-up antenna.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #29

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Way to go, Jim.

Personally I would go with Jack splitter and add one of these for the radio. Tune Trapper Hidden AM FM Antennas For Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Stereos, Radios

You may as well upgrade the whole system with better than OEM stuff.
Has this antenna worked well for you? Looks like exactly what I need to be able to use RV radio when not using rooftop antenna & booster. Most parks we stay in have cable, and turning on antenna booster kills the cable. No antenna booster, no radio reception. We'd like to be able to connect to cable, and leave the FM radio on for the dog when we go out, or just to be able to listen to the radio.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:31 AM   #30

Michigan
When you activate the booster amplifier, it overrides any other signal coming in (cable/satellite)
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 AM   #31

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
When you activate the booster amplifier, it overrides any other signal coming in (cable/satellite)
Yeah... any other signal coming thru on THAT feed cable. But I think what Paul is asking (and I could be wrong), is if that Tune Trapper... plugged into the radio on its own cable... really works as good as advertised.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:45 AM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
Has this antenna worked well for you? Looks like exactly what I need to be able to use RV radio when not using rooftop antenna & booster. Most parks we stay in have cable, and turning on antenna booster kills the cable. No antenna booster, no radio reception. We'd like to be able to connect to cable, and leave the FM radio on for the dog when we go out, or just to be able to listen to the radio.
It takes a little trial and error to find the best spot to stick it on. For me, it was a new install so I had options.

These are what the hot rodders use and they have them in some pretty odd spots.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #33

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yeah... any other signal coming thru on THAT feed cable. But I think what Paul is asking (and I could be wrong), is if that Tune Trapper... plugged into the radio on its own cable... really works as good as advertised.
Tom, You are correct.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #34

Louisiana
I was looking at installing one to replace my crank up on my rubicon 2600, but was concerned about it being on the angled roof, was looking for a adapter or something
Mud Pro 700, Scrambler 850
rolopayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #35

Oklahoma
Not sure about what your angle is compared to my 2100 but I am not having any troubles at this time. It rained real hard day before yesterday and I had not put up any dicor yet and had no leakage thankfully. I plan on sealing it real soon. My holes were not quite in line but I am able to turn it just fine and it is bringing the station I really wanted. I am very happy with the antenna so far. Oh and I did not have a crank up to replace. I also re-used the existing power source for the stereo antenna with no ill side affects. So I have a spare if this one should go bad.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #36

Oklahoma
Ems-hw30c

I just install a ems-hw30c in my Rubicon 2100. I just decided I had better have the protection just in case. Funny thing when I hooked it up it gave me an open ground error E2. I thought the unit was bad because I have been in the same spot for over a year with no issues. Come to find out the sub-panel feeding the pedestal needed to have the ground bonded to neutral. I will check back further to the main panel to make the bond but for now it is working. Well worth the money.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #37
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I just install a ems-hw30c in my Rubicon 2100. I just decided I had better have the protection just in case. Funny thing when I hooked it up it gave me an open ground error E2. I thought the unit was bad because I have been in the same spot for over a year with no issues. Come to find out the sub-panel feeding the pedestal needed to have the ground bonded to neutral. I will check back further to the main panel to make the bond but for now it is working. Well worth the money.
I found an open ground in my system when I plugged in the EMS for the first time. Took me a while to locate the problem... had a lug that was stripped, it would tighten down, but would loosen back up and cause the ground to go intermittent, swapped the wire to another lug and all is good. These things are a godsend. Worst part is it was my house power at home that had the issue, I do a lot my own installs and missed the fact that this lug was stripped.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote