How to mount grill rail - Aerolite 215BHKS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

California
How to mount grill rail - Aerolite 215BHKS

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but need some help. I have a 2011 Aerolite 215BHKS. For xmas I got a new Olympian grill along with the mounting rail. Does anyone have any tips about how I can verify/find the framing so I can mount the rail securely and start enjoying my new grill? I wanted to mount it near the LP quick connect on the trailer. I've attached some pics of the area, including a shot from inside the trailer. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-12_30_13,-5.16.47-PM-8.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-12_30_13,-5.16.47-PM-7.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-12_30_13,-5.16.47-PM-6.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	785  

jniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but need some help. I have a 2011 Aerolite 215BHKS. For xmas I got a new Olympian grill along with the mounting rail. Does anyone have any tips about how I can verify/find the framing so I can mount the rail securely and start enjoying my new grill? I wanted to mount it near the LP quick connect on the trailer. I've attached some pics of the area, including a shot from inside the trailer. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you trying to mount the rail to the trailer frame. I don't think the fiberglass would be tight up against the frame. There would be a gap at best and you would collapse the trailer body. I may have misunderstood your question.

Normally when I am in question about the strength of an area I want to mount something it. I take a 1/16" drill bit and drill a test hole to see what is under the surface. It leaves a hole that can easily be filled if the area is not appropriate.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Are you trying to mount the rail to the trailer frame. I don't think the fiberglass would be tight up against the frame. There would be a gap at best and you would collapse the trailer body. I may have misunderstood your question.

Normally when I am in question about the strength of an area I want to mount something it. I take a 1/16" drill bit and drill a test hole to see what is under the surface. It leaves a hole that can easily be filled if the area is not appropriate.
The rail does mount against the frame on the outside of the trailer, yes. It's so you can hang the grill on the side of the trailer. I attached a pic showing an example.

I wanted to see what tips/suggestions I could get before I start poking holes

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	olympiangrill.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	789  
jniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #4

Arizona
I think the rail should mount just fine to the fiberglass. What I would do is take some masking tape. I like the blue painters tape but any would work. I would put a piece of tape at one end or the other where you want to mount the rail making sure the height is correct. Drill a pilot hole for the screw so you get a good start with plenty of material left for the screw to thread into. Mount one end and measure to a said point on each end. Mark your hole on the other end, drill and set screw. Now that the rail is mounted drill the remaining screw locations. Use a screwdriver and not your drill to do the final tightening of the screws so you don't strip out the holes.

Enjoy you new grill.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
I see from your bottom picture that there is a track mounted for something (maybe your slide). It looks like the screws holding this track are pretty evenly spaced and are likely being put into studs for the most support. Can you use those screws to figure out where your studs are outside?
On another thought - I had a bbq like this bolted to the side of a previous camper. Only used it once as the heat coming off the back of this BBQ scared the "HE double hockey sticks" out of me. I had considered making a holder using one of these Northern Industrial Tools Truck Service Step | Steps| Northern Tool + Equipment and some angle iron but traded trailers before I could get it built.
Good luck in getting this mounted.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #6

Delaware
Where is that inside area? Is it under the dinette (ie: semi-hidden)? When I called Dutchmen about my Aerolite (for the same reason) I was told that the total wall thickness was less than 2" with the outside fiberglass being less than 1/4 inch. I was looking at the same grill and was going to use a thin piece of stainless on the inside to spread the load and offer some reinforcement. I was then going to bolt through the entire wall and metal and off course seal every entry point.

I never ended up doing it because my wife bought me a Weber for Christmas.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff View Post
Hi,

An interesting tip that I think was post on this site, go out first thing in the morning when there is dew on the trailer. The frame ribs will show themselves with dew settled on them.

The other option to find the framing is to use a stud finder.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Florida
I have had three trailers with outside grills. I mounted the rail in the area that I wanted it and just attached it to the fibreglass.. Never had a problem with any of them and I use the grill a lot, just don't overtighten the screws as the fibreglas is pretty thin....

Anderson Hitch
Coneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote