Has anyone replaced the factory led strip lights on the nose? - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,620
Tennessee
Has anyone replaced the factory led strip lights on the nose?

I have the giant v-shaped led lights on the front of the camper and they are starting to peel off and a few are not working. It looks like it may be 2 strips with the wires entering the camper at the bottom of the V, it's hard to tell because of the giant lump of silicone they used. I'm wondering if i peeled it off would there be enough wire to attach a new strip? The last thing I want to do is to clear out the pass through and have to tear into the front wall.
__________________

__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,774
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I have the giant v-shaped led lights on the front of the camper and they are starting to peel off and a few are not working. It looks like it may be 2 strips with the wires entering the camper at the bottom of the V, it's hard to tell because of the giant lump of silicone they used. I'm wondering if i peeled it off would there be enough wire to attach a new strip? The last thing I want to do is to clear out the pass through and have to tear into the front wall.

Dunno about being enough wire to attach a new strip but if true to form by the 'lectricians there may be a half mile of wire stuffed in there somewhere.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,620
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Dunno about being enough wire to attach a new strip but if true to form by the 'lectricians there may be a half mile of wire stuffed in there somewhere.
I got impatient yesterday and took a razor blade to the silicone blob, you can definitely tell they are 2 different strips and the wire goes into the nose at the bottom. I ordered new led strips but I don't have time to tear into the inside up before we leave. I'll either have the coolest blue lights installed or nothing but a fresh silicone blob on the wire hole
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,774
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I got impatient yesterday and took a razor blade to the silicone blob, you can definitely tell they are 2 different strips and the wire goes into the nose at the bottom. I ordered new led strips but I don't have time to tear into the inside up before we leave. I'll either have the coolest blue lights installed or nothing but a fresh silicone blob on the wire hole

Cool blue LEDs would be nice but how about some RGB LEDs that fade? Now that would be trick, especially at night on the road.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,620
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Cool blue LEDs would be nice but how about some RGB LEDs that fade? Now that would be trick, especially at night on the road.
I'd look like a 24ft Christmas tree going down the road. I replaced my under awning leds with the blue and we love them. The stock cool white was too bright and attracted mega bugs.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,620
Tennessee
Due to the overwhelming responses to my question, the lights were easy to replace

As per RV building codes the wiring was less than ideal. They decided to butt splice a 2" piece an inch away from holes they drilled through the nose. I was able to get a connector on them with great effort. Probably not ideal but I was rushed for time and they can be removed later without wire loss. The old leds left a residue that can only be described as permanent Instead of going hog wild with silicone I opted to just fill the drill holes and am going to put black butyl tape over the connectors. The old silicone did not come off as easily as I had hoped.

It's next to impossible to get a good night pic, but they look amazing.





__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,774
Oklahoma
She's pretty again, good job.
For what it's worth I'll soak Silicone with Goo Gone. Let it sit for awhile and the Silicone gets less adhesive and come off very nicely.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,681
Florida
Great Job! now i know what to do when mine go out! One thing I'm surprised about is they used the proper color code and now 22 awg telephone wire.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,620
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
She's pretty again, good job.
For what it's worth I'll soak Silicone with Goo Gone. Let it sit for awhile and the Silicone gets less adhesive and come off very nicely.
I have a bottle and couldn't find it
I was shocked at how well it was staying on, I guess silicone does have a few RV applications.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,774
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I have a bottle and couldn't find it
I was shocked at how well it was staying on, I guess silicone does have a few RV applications.

I think that no Silicone on RVs is another old RV wife's tale. My dealer doesn't subscribe to that rule and I'll use it where appropriate when Dico sealant isn't prescribed.
Silicone is used on spas and boats that are fiber glass so why not on the RV?
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.