Generator tripping with A/C - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 03:08 AM   #1

California
Generator tripping with A/C

I have a 2017 Dutchmen kodiak 283BHSL and trying to power the A/C with two generac 2000’s with a parallel kit (= to a 4000). They keep tripping out. It should be sufficient start up power and it worked once. Took generators to a shop- said they’re fine. Any thoughts ?? Currently I’m ready to give up, sell them, and get Honda’s or one big unit.

Mnaranjo428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

Oregon
I'm thinking it should work. i would make sure your frige is not running on 110 when trying to start the AC.
I have a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator and was thinking of getting a companion generator for running the AC but now i am thinking of selling the Honda and getting the Champion inverter 3400. It comes with a 30amp RV outlet and from what I have read from the reviews It will power the AC...

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:24 AM   #3

California
Thank you... I’ll try that! we are considering that same generator. A friend has it and loves it! It’s pretty quiet too!!
Mnaranjo428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

New Jersey
The loads (based on my trailer) you need to consider are:
battery charger converter typical up to 700 watts if your batteries are low on charge.
Refrigerator typical 400 watts
Water heater typical 1500 watts

The current for my AC has been as high as 16 amps (1920 watts) with the compressor running. Starting current could be much higher than that even though it only lasts for a second or so while the compressor comes up to speed.

So running you refrig and water heater on propane, and waiting an hour or so until the batteries are charged, should solve the problem.
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #5

Utah
I was bogging down the generator also. I now turn the fan only on, let if run for about 30 seconds then switch it to AC. It has worked every time for me. After the system has been running, it can shut down and start up again without issue. I have no idea why this works because the compressor is what draws all the power.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote