Garage turned Art Studio - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Washington
Garage turned Art Studio

This is an adjunct to my garage cabinet modifications thread here.

We bought a Toy Hauler because my wife is an artist and must have a studio space. She has an online store and sells products wholesale to retailers, so we need to stock her studio with supplies and finished products while on the road. Fortunately, most of the work she does is with paper (as opposed to paint or other messy-ness), so using the garage as a studio by day and hangout area by night is possible....and preferred.

I leveraged the HappiJac system to create an adjustable loft storage area and work benches. I simply removed the 2x couches (which we don't find particularly comfy anyway) and used the support arms to hold 2x 1/2"x60"x24" MDF work tables. I reinforced these tables longitudinally with aluminum angle from the Home Depot "RV parts aisle". I also added some backstops on 3 sides to keep things from rolling away.

Then, I cut out a 30"x30" access hole in the base of the bunk platform and converted that to a supplies loft. I trimmed out the center opening with some large aluminum angle to cover the foam/plywood cross-section and give it a finished, intentional look. The angle also creates a "stop" around the top of the opening to keep things from spilling out in transit. (some rubber shelf mat keeps things from sliding around)

I threaded in additional HappiJac bunk stops into the vertical rails to allow the supplies loft to come down about 2' but not interfere with her daily work like the regular bunk stop locations would.

[I realize this access hole in the bunk platform looks like an irreversible solution but, in actuality, I can bridge the opening with some additional angle inside the center square tube, cover the hole with thin plywood, and toss the mattress back up there in the event we need it for a non-working excursion. Highly unlikely but I considered that a better solution than removing the bed platform altogether and replacing with a thin, light shelf setup.]

So now her work tables and supplies loft telescope up/down when she needs them to and the work surfaces can be adjusted for sitting or standing position just by pressing the HappiJac position switch on the wall. By night, we just raise the whole arrangement up, set up the table and bring out our stackable aluminum chairs for dinner and games.

Photos attached. The 10x screw holes on each table have since been filled with wood filler. The screws that attach the tables to the HappiJac arms are recessed very slightly below the table surface in the event we need to remove the tables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio 4.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	3772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio 7.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	3773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio 5.jpg
Views:	358