Garage Fan wiring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #1

New Jersey
Garage Fan wiring

I had Camping World install a Fan-Tastic vent fan in the garage of our Dutchmen Voltage V 3105. Got a great price on an internet sale that the store honored, plus $29 install. Could not go wrong with that price.

They wired it to one of the lights that were on either side of the vent opening, which means the lights have to be on for the fan to run. They wanted several hours of labor to disassemble the cabinet on the wall where the switch for the light is, and an always live connection. It didn't seem worth paying them for that. I would assume/hope I can use the wire feed from the switch to the light to pull down a pull string, and then pull the wire for the light and a new wire up into the ceiling. That way I can have the lights work off the switch and the fan be on an always hot circuit, so it can run without the lights being on.

The light switch is on the bottom of the cabinet at the front of the garage. Has anyone done this, any thoughts, or suggestions?

I assume I can use the existing ground wire as that's not in the switched circuit. I only need a new hot wire for the fan.

pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #2

Louisiana
I have learned to assume nothing with RVs. I doubt you'd be able to use an existing wire as a pull string. It is more than likely taped to a bunch of other wires or secured at one or more points with staples or zip ties.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I have learned to assume nothing with RVs. I doubt you'd be able to use an existing wire as a pull string. It is more than likely taped to a bunch of other wires or secured at one or more points with staples or zip ties.
I would agree. I just did some wiring in mine for a light strip, and Maxxair fan. When I pulled the microwave to run wires, things were fairly neat, but zip tied in and run in a manner that would have prevented pulling. I have found that creativity is the key. My fan is currently run off a light, but the feed is always hot as I have not switch in the wall. I started running a dedicated line from the fuse panel to the fan and got half way. I need to figure out how to fish the feed through the ceiling to the fan.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote