Exterior TV Wall Mount - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Oregon
Exterior TV Wall Mount

I want to install a exterior TV wall mount to my Toy Hauler. My Rig is aluminum sided and I have not been able to find the wall studs in the location where I want to install the mount.
So, why don't I install the mount on the exterior Frige vent cover? The mount is flush mount and does not swing out. The TV weights about 15 lbs.
I think the panel would hold the TV just fine?
What do you think

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I want to install a exterior TV wall mount to my Toy Hauler. My Rig is aluminum sided and I have not been able to find the wall studs in the location where I want to install the mount.
So, why don't I install the mount on the exterior Frige vent cover? The mount is flush mount and does not swing out. The TV weights about 15 lbs.
I think the panel would hold the TV just fine?
What do you think

That's real gutsy, hang a TV on a piece of plastic that lives in the sun and is subject to heat from the refrigerator. Not to mention blocking the combustion and circulation air for the refrigerator.
We don't know which toy hauler you have so we can't point you to a decent mounting point.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #3

Florida
if the fridge comes on and you are dry camping, the heat may melt the TV. Although, this TV mount does not swivel or anything, I think it has enough screws to hold a 15# TV...

https://www.amazon.com/PAW-Internati...a-699323276766
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
if the fridge comes on and you are dry camping, the heat may melt the TV. Although, this TV mount does not swivel or anything, I think it has enough screws to hold a 15# TV...

https://www.amazon.com/PAW-Internati...a-699323276766
You know I run my Frige all the time on when traveling and I can say I have never felt any heat coming out of the Frige vent. I am thinking it's more of a vent than an exhaust. That said the next time I run it I am going to hit it with the laser temperature gun.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Oklahoma
The refrigerator heat and exhaust vent is on the roof. The vent is ducted from the top of the refrigerator to the roof line.

The external access panel is for maintenance, air circulation to allow the exhaust and heat to flow upwards and for intake combustion air, especially when using propane.

The access panel is subject to sun's rays causing the panel to become brittle over time. The heat released from the refrigerator's burner also contributes to the brittle effect. With a TV bracket bolted to it the added weight may cause the weakened plastic to break and you'll leave the bracket somewhere along the way. Not to mention that while being parked and watching the TV the TV proper may fall to the ground.

To cover the louvres in the panel will restrict the combustion intake air thereby potentially cause the refrigerator to not work efficiently. Also, the heat and exhaust removal will be restricted which could cause an excess heat build up in the duct work and refrigerator cabinet.
In a word, don't cover it at all. Find a more secure location for the bracket.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #6

Tennessee
This is a giant nope!