Entry Steps - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #21

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansker47 View Post
What kind of flooring do you have in your rig? I’m just wondering if my 2017 Denali has enough plywood in the floor for the installation screws to have something to hold on to.

You can email your manufacturer with your VIN and they can tell you a lot about your rig. So far I’ve found out I can’t put a ladder on the back, my roof isn’t walkable and my front vent is braced for a second A/C, but not wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehoffmans4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #22

Washington
Thanks. What kind of rig do you have? I didn’t think they were still making trailers.with roofs you couldn’t walk on.

Dansker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #23

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansker47 View Post
Thanks. What kind of rig do you have? I didn’t think they were still making trailers.with roofs you couldn’t walk on.

I was surprised to hear that too since I’ve been up there a few times without issue. But I was still conscious of stepping on the rafters. From my research I’ve discovered that the roofs aren’t as heavy duty on the lighter rigs.

I have the 2017 Aerolite luxury class 282dbhs.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #24

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoffmans4 View Post
You can email your manufacturer with your VIN and they can tell you a lot about your rig. So far I’ve found out I can’t put a ladder on the back, my roof isn’t walkable and my front vent is braced for a second A/C, but not wired.

Haha, did drones put the roof on? All they're doing is covering their butts from some frivolous lawsuit. Anyone who doesn't go up on their roof will have leaks within a few years and a worthless camper. I MAY pull my camper 500 miles a year because we have no less than 15 great campgrounds within 60 miles of our house. Our roads are mostly pristine and I still have to caulk a few cracks every spring. They started within 2 years of owning a brand new camper.

I don't think people realize how much those those things flex while towing. They are literally being shaken apart every time you tow. The "raftera" are easy to see through the thin roofing, if you stay on or close to those there should be no problem. I'm not a a big guy (165lbs) and i've even been on the slideout roof more than once.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Haha, did drones put the roof on? All they're doing is covering their butts from some frivolous lawsuit. Anyone who doesn't go up on their roof will have leaks within a few years and a worthless camper. I MAY pull my camper 500 miles a year because we have no less than 15 great campgrounds within 60 miles of our house. Our roads are mostly pristine and I still have to caulk a few cracks every spring. They started within 2 years of owning a brand new camper.

I don't think people realize how much those those things flex while towing. They are literally being shaken apart every time you tow. The "raftera" are easy to see through the thin roofing, if you stay on or close to those there should be no problem. I'm not a a big guy (165lbs) and i've even been on the slideout roof more than once.

I agree. Jut a CYA thing. Wear basketball shoes and step on the bumps. I’m 210 and it didn’t even flex. I’m still considering putting a ladder on the back after attaching diamond plate mounting points to spread the load.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #26

Florida
The screws hold in the top edge it's hinged to fold steps up or down
In the down position the top of the steps rest on the door threshold
I put just one size larger screws with aircraft grade silicone adhesive
To seal the screws. Very sturdy steps works for our needs
All our best FLA

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote