Dual Battery Upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Minnesota
Dual Battery Upgrade

I just got my Coleman 2018 1805RB home (Pics to come) and starting to get it ready for a maiden voyage next week. I pulled my nearly new Grp-31 batteries (2) from my old trailer and want to put them in this trailer, but the battery rack is too short to accommodate them end to end and not enough room to mount them side by side.
I am actually thinking about making a carrier rack on top of the frame, but first, I thought I would ask you.
The question is: Have any of you ever upgraded your battery carrier?

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Wisconsin
I have a Kodiak Cub. This is the second trailer I upgraded to two gp31 batteries.

What do you mean "making a carrier rack on top of the frame"? Do you mean on the front "A" frame?

My stock battery location is on the front "A" frame. My second battery is in a sealed battery box under the dinette seat. It is vented through the side of the trailer and through the bottom the same as my first TT I modified 10 years ago. I had an exterior door added to access the under seat area of my Cub to make it easier to service, but I now find that was unnecessary.
Paul Bristol

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I just got my Coleman 2018 1805RB home (Pics to come) and starting to get it ready for a maiden voyage next week. I pulled my nearly new Grp-31 batteries (2) from my old trailer and want to put them in this trailer, but the battery rack is too short to accommodate them end to end and not enough room to mount them side by side.
I am actually thinking about making a carrier rack on top of the frame, but first, I thought I would ask you.
The question is: Have any of you ever upgraded your battery carrier?

3 batteries woohOOO!

You will be doing some boondocking!

You can build what ever you like as long as it is structurally sound.

2 points of concern:
Additional tongue weight.
It is always good to use the same type and rating of multiple batteries. If they are not they tend to "fight" each other during charging and discharge. Not sure how much of a loss of battery life that adds up to. But it could be significant. Maybe a EE will chime in.
And yes I am planning on adding a second battery, but using a disconnect switch. Which negates any battery differences.

Good luck
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #4

Florida
look here:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...r-no-6743.html

do a forum search, there have been multiple battery topics concerning replacing the ONE battery with two and four six volt batteries and how they mounted them. good luck!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote