Dish network tailgater satellite?? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #21

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
I've installed a similar apparatus on high dollar pleasure boats that use satellite TV while under way.

The receiver can be changed to watch any channel whether the person is in the salon or the stateroom or on the bridge. It's a great gadget.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #22

Indiana
Sundancer,

Thanks for the info.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #23

Indiana
Soonernation,

Thanks.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
You wouldn't mind posting a pic, would you?

Thanks,

Mark
Here is how I got my receiver to fit in the cabinet.

Built this out of MDF. Used small brackets towards the bottom to hold the receiver in place and to minimize strain on the HDMI cable coming out of the back:

Here is the receiver in the cabinet:

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #25

Arizona
I researched receivers and dishes until I was blue in the face. I finally decided I wanted the best dish and receiver I could come up with. This is my dish and receiver mounting solution.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #26

Indiana
You RICH kids get all the nice stuff!!!!!! LOL .

That's a nice Dish, no question. Everyone that has them likes 'em .

That one's on my wish list .

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #27

Wyoming
I recently purchased a Dish Network Tailgater package. I absolutely love it. Mine came with a VIP 211z receiver, which is ok. I wish the receiver had more than one HDMI output. I plan on getting an HDMI splitter so that I can have HD in the bedroom and entertainment center of our 2013 Aspen Trail 2310.

I ordered an external hard drive so that I can use the receiver as a DVR.

I powered everything with dual 12volt deep cycle batteries which are wired to a Cobra 2500/5000 watt inverter. I mounted the inverter to the front wall of the pass through storage area. (Within 3feet of the batteries). I then hard wired three 115v outlets (one next to each "night stand" and one in the entertainment center.)

I can run two 32" LED tvs, satellite receiver, small 8" fan, 2 iPhone chargers and my fiancées Cpap machine all night with no worries about dead batteries.

I absolutely love the Tailgater system. It is so nice to be able to keep up with all of our favorite tv shows while "Glamping". Ha ha ha.

I would be happy to share pics if anyone wants to see how I set it all up.
Moabdadc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #28

Texas
Last week we took our first trip in our V3605. We have a tailgater that we kept from previous "toys". We tried hooking it up to the television in the living room and put it vertically in the cabinet above the tv on the right side. The tailgater was hooked up in the outside storage cabinet to the satellite/cable connection. We kept getting error messages. We called Dish Network to troubleshoot what might be going on. Any ideas? When we got home we tried it at the house to make sure the problem wasn't the dish or the receiver and it worked great. Wondering if the trees caused so much interference it gave us the error messages.
Harley Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #29

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Danny View Post
Last week we took our first trip in our V3605. We have a tailgater that we kept from previous "toys". We tried hooking it up to the television in the living room and put it vertically in the cabinet above the tv on the right side. The tailgater was hooked up in the outside storage cabinet to the satellite/cable connection. We kept getting error messages. We called Dish Network to troubleshoot what might be going on. Any ideas? When we got home we tried it at the house to make sure the problem wasn't the dish or the receiver and it worked great. Wondering if the trees caused so much interference it gave us the error messages.
Check all Rg6 connections , splitters need to be changed to ones that are Sat Frequency capable. Duckmen installs the cheapest Connectors, and splitters.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
Though it's suppose to be pointing towards the "southern" sky I have found that moving the unit in different angles makes a difference. Sometimes it's pointed in what you think is a correct angle but it's not.

Try different spots. I'm assuming the inside of the satellite rotates towards the correct angle but apparently it's picky.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #31

Michigan
I know exactly what you issue is. All satellites use a digital signal. Regular broadcast or cable TV use a digital code over an analog signal. What this boils down too is that any kind of hardware made for broadcast or cable TV won't work on a satellite. That includes everything installed, but the cable itself. The standard Wineguard plug with the button to increase reception is an analog device. Run a new RG6 cable directly from Tailgater to the 211, and you will work find.
Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #32

Colorado
Couple of thoughts...

If you have a non-HD dish, the dish points pretty much South to the correct satellite. There are times we've been able to connect to the "wrong satellite" get reception, but not our program package. So we found we had to check to make sure we were pointed at, connected to, the right satellite.

If you have the HD dish, its looking for three satellites, so the direction can look a bit weird when it finds the correct three. But...I've learned that when it finds the satellites and we have what we want...I don't care what direction the dish is pointing!! LOL!!

Moabdadc22,

I'd really like to understand how you connect the external hard drive to your non-DVR receiver and how you record/play programs from it.

Thanks,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #33

Arizona
Quote:
Wondering if the trees caused so much interference it gave us the error messages.
If you had trees in the way, then yes.

If you have an iPhone or Android there is a great app that I won't leave home without. Cost 10 bucks but I bought it twice so I could have it on my wife's iPhone also. Just in case something happened to my phone.

Open the app and look at the sky. It shows you where the satellites are. I boon-dock allot and this app is so much easier than the zip code/compass route.

One of our last trips out into the eastern Sierra Nevada range we came across a Voltage. He had his Tailgater sitting on top of his buddy's trailer. I worked out well for him and the forest was thick enough he would not have had much of a choice. He did tell me it took them a couple of hours to fine a spot to acquire the signal.

I just looked online and there are a couple different apps now.

Check it out. Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #34

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I'd really like to understand how you connect the external hard drive to your non-DVR receiver and how you record/play programs from it.
I have not done it, but I remember back when I was purchasing ANOTHER receiver that the Dishnetwork 211 receiver is DVR capable by adding an External Hard Drive. I just looked a bit on line and copied this post.

"I have two Dish 211 that I have added USB hard drives to to become DVRs. The one time $40 fee is per subscriber so my two 211 only resulted in one $40 fee. It is really very simple. I got the WD My Book Essential. Plugged in its power and USB port. Got a message on my screen that the 211 had detected a hard drive an told me to call a number to get it activated, which I did. Once activated the 211 downloaded new software and rebooted itself as a DVR (maybe 15 minutes).

Works just like my Dish 622. Same remote as it is the same remote the 622 uses. The 211 of course only has one satellite and one OTA tuner. Also, my 622 has fast forward at 4x, 15x, 60x and 300x speed. The converted 211 has these also but the 60x and 300x really go 15x due to the USB ports speed limitations.

I love the setup."
Old 08-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #35

Colorado
Hmmm...missed that these are Dish set ups...probably mean nothing to a DirecTV guy....

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #36

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
I know exactly what you issue is. All satellites use a digital signal. Regular broadcast or cable TV use a digital code over an analog signal. What this boils down too is that any kind of hardware made for broadcast or cable TV won't work on a satellite. That includes everything installed, but the cable itself. The standard Wineguard plug with the button to increase reception is an analog device. Run a new RG6 cable directly from Tailgater to the 211, and you will work find.

As an Audio Visual and a Broadcast Engineer, I can tell you that his has nothing to do with it. The issue is the power over coax to power the dish. The easy solution is to bypass the Wingard booster with a quality high bandwidth coax splitter. I re-wired mine in a manner that would allow me to keep the booster, but you have to understand the voltage path to do that. The RF transmission system for sat and cable are exactly the same, copper is copper.

You should also double check the coax terminations as mine were cheaper crimp types installed with low skill and may need to be replaced. They can be replaced with a better quality crimp type or a compression fitting if you know someone with a compression tool.

My Dish Tailgater works flawlessly in my Voltage 3950 using the outside factory wired coax input after the Winguard amp fix. I also encode and broadcast the sat output back into the RV RF system so that every tv will show the sat when tuned to channel 10. So all 5 televisions show the HD feed from the dish simultaneously with audio.

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #37

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post
As an Audio Visual and a Broadcast Engineer, I can tell you that his has nothing to do with it. The issue is the power over coax to power the dish. The easy solution is to bypass the Wingard booster with a quality high bandwidth coax splitter. I re-wired mine in a manner that would allow me to keep the booster, but you have to understand the voltage path to do that. The RF transmission system for sat and cable are exactly the same, copper is copper.

You should also double check the coax terminations as mine were cheaper crimp types installed with low skill and may need to be replaced. They can be replaced with a better quality crimp type or a compression fitting if you know someone with a compression tool.

My Dish Tailgater works flawlessly in my Voltage 3950 using the outside factory wired coax input after the Winguard amp fix. I also encode and broadcast the sat output back into the RV RF system so that every tv will show the sat when tuned to channel 10. So all 5 televisions show the HD feed from the dish simultaneously with audio.

^^^ x2 - Mine worked great with all splitters from the factory. I had to replace one connector that was not making a good contact and it works great on all 4 TV's.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #38

Mississippi
Question Help with Satellite TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post

How do I go about bypassing the amplifier? On my 3950 I have one white wire leaving the amplifier and a jumper box. My new Dish Network receiver has coax input and only HDMI output for high def. or the Y/G/R I have wasted an entire day trying to get satellite TV, preferably HD but not getting anything....Please help me with any drawings etc.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #39

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
^^^ x2 - Mine worked great with all splitters from the factory. I had to replace one connector that was not making a good contact and it works great on all 4 TV's.
Excuse my ignorance as this is my first travel trailer but how did you get your satellite signal from your box to all 4 TV's? I just purchased a 2017 Aspen Trail 2750. It has a roof antenna with a booster at the main tv in the living area and a 2nd coax connector in the bedroom that I assume is also connected to the roof antenna. It also has an outside cable/satellite hookup. I have a standard definition KVH tracvision system on my boat and I plan to use it in the RV as well with the addition of a King Quest dish (Directv version of the tailgater) which I have not purchased yet.

My plan is to connect the king quest dish to the outside cable/satellite hookup and connect the receiver to the main tv. My question is how do I feed the signal from that receiver to the tv in the bedroom. I was planning to use an AV transmitter to send the signal from the receiver wirelessly to the TV in the bedroom but if i can utilize the coax that would be much better. I purchased the RV last week but haven't brought it home yet so I havent had a chance to really get into how the coax is wired but at the same time I'm not sure how to access the wiring either. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
buddy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #40

Michigan
buddy306,

Your plan qon't work. With the Wineguard plug in place (Yes the cable input goes though it) it will block the Sat signal to the receiver. And each TV will require a Sat receiver to go to the TV. I'd install a new outside coax plug for the Sat. It's cheap and easy. If the TVs are watching the same channel, there are many wireless systems that will repeat the outbound sat to all of the TV. The big disadvange is that all TVs must watch the same channel.

Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote