Direct tv receiver in voltage 3895 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Arizona
Direct tv receiver in voltage 3895

Has anyone with a 2014 Voltage 3895 installed Direct tv in to their trailer? Wondering where you put the receiver inside the trailer in entertainment center? I just don't see any cabinets deep or large enough for a Direct tv receiver and you cant take out the DVD player as it controls your surround sound. Also receiver must be in line of sight of remote. Help.... Any ideas or modifications? Please share pics if you have any. Thanks

gianna2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

Oklahoma
One thing to consider, the receiver doesn't have to sit flat on its feet. If you can stand it on edge to fit in the cabinet then it'll be ok.

To overcome the LOS for the remote you can get you a remote extender. What the extender does is basically (with its own IR receiver), relocates the TV receiver's IR receiver to an external location.
I use the extender because the glass cabinet door blocked the signal to the TV receiver. I put the extender's IR receiver on the outside of the glass in an out of the way place.
The extenders come with many options regarding external receivers. I have four but only use two, one for the DirecTV receiver and one for my replacement DVD/Surround Sound system.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna2u View Post
Has anyone with a 2014 Voltage 3895 installed Direct tv in to their trailer? Wondering where you put the receiver inside the trailer in entertainment center? I just don't see any cabinets deep or large enough for a Direct tv receiver and you cant take out the DVD player as it controls your surround sound. Also receiver must be in line of sight of remote. Help.... Any ideas or modifications? Please share pics if you have any. Thanks
Have you gotten your direct TV set up yet?
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

Arizona
I had the Directv version of the Winegard Travler installed and am now putting the Directv Genie in the RV. The nice thing is the receiver is smaller than the old ones and now they offer wireless add on receivers so no need to run wires all over!
BTW, love the Winegard unit, locks on in no time and gets HD Directv!
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 AM   #5

Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmedhurst View Post
I had the Directv version of the Winegard Travler installed and am now putting the Directv Genie in the RV. The nice thing is the receiver is smaller than the old ones and now they offer wireless add on receivers so no need to run wires all over!
BTW, love the Winegard unit, locks on in no time and gets HD Directv!
We really like ours as well. Its been flawless. We also went with the genie. Ive attached a pic of the rack i added to host the main DTV Server and printer. We have the small pucks (clients) at each of the TVs.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
Attachment 790
We really like ours as well. Its been flawless. We also went with the genie. Ive attached a pic of the rack i added to host the main DTV Server and printer. We have the small pucks (clients) at each of the TVs.
Can you elaborate on the pucks for each TV? We have genie and would like to stream to our other TV's.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
Can you elaborate on the pucks for each TV? We have genie and would like to stream to our other TV's.
Our system consists of 1 main server located in the garage and 2 clients one located at each the main cabin TV and bedroom. The clients (pucks) are very small measuring 1x6x4". They easily fit into cabinents and are RF controlled. The 2 clients talk to the main server allowing us to view/record different channels simultaneously on each of 3 TVs. To make this happen i had the dealer prior to delivery install 1 HDMI and high quality RG 6 run from each TV to a main controller located behind the main cabin TV. Each one is then coded to the main server. The dealer told me the Genie system would not work. After extensive research and assistance from an independent RV satelite installer Violia!!! The system is proving to be very robust with over 1 year of trouble free operation.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

Texas
Heres a shot of main tv storage area. This is the busiest area since hubs for all wiring is located behind this cabinet. Client is velcroed to top of cabinet, below that is the apple TV, below that is HDMI Controller, required to get surround sound on all devices. On bottom is the dish controller. Lot of equipment in one small area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1138  
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Heres a shot of main tv storage area. This is the busiest area since hubs for all wiring is located behind this cabinet. Client is velcroed to top of cabinet, below that is the apple TV, below that is HDMI Controller, required to get surround sound on all devices. On bottom is the dish controller. Lot of equipment in one small area.
NMROPER, I have genie using wingard dish, working perfectly thru the main drop to living room TV. Can't I just get "pucks" behind each additional tv to stream HD to any tv having puck feeding it?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
NMROPER, I have genie using wingard dish, working perfectly thru the main drop to living room TV. Can't I just get "pucks" behind each additional tv to stream HD to any tv having puck feeding it?
Do uou have HDMI cable running to each of the pucks?
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 06-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Do uou have HDMI cable running to each of the pucks?
Not from the Genie, I've been told its wireless to the pucks.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #12

Colorado
http://directv.vo.llnwd.net/e5/shorts/A000404057N0.mp4
Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Lots of heat too. If the cabinet is closed in, do you have any vents in it to help get rid of the heat?
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #14

Texas
Quote:
Not from the Genie, I've been told its wireless to the pucks.
Splash, You may have a different Equipment than mine. What model DVR and pucks do you have? I have a single HDMI cable running from DVR and each of the two pucks into a controller located below the sat dish. Each puck is then programmed to the DVR. As mentioned above heat can be an issue. I normally keep the cabinet door cracked open to help reduce heat.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 AM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Splash, You may have a different Equipment than mine. What model DVR and pucks do you have? I have a single HDMI cable running from DVR and each of the two pucks into a controller located below the sat dish. Each puck is then programmed to the DVR. As mentioned above heat can be an issue. I normally keep the cabinet door cracked open to help reduce heat.
Can you view this link from directv website?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Can you view this link from directv website?
Yes, i saw it. Thats what makes me believe you may have newer equipment.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
Old 06-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #17

Colorado
Keep you posted, I have Genie... But Haven't received Genie mini yet to verify wireless setup.