Air Duct issues on 3970 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Florida
Air Duct issues on 3970

We were not getting enough air flow from our main AC unit. I pulled up unit to discover the poor workmanship. Had half dollar size holes to either ducts. The cieling was getting most of the air. Wish I would've taken pictures of the before, but didnt. After a few choice words I ripped out the old tape and retaped the area. Now the unit puts the air where its supposed to

muddfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
RDJ

Washington
Redone 7 of my outlets tonight, also the frost sensor on the main a/c was dislodged from the condensor the unit was freezing up, now it is defrosting when needed, we are all good to go

Old 07-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #3

Arizona
It's an old thread here but it discusses the taping problem most of have had with our trailers. They didn't bother to clean out the saw dust in my trailer and the tape had nothing to stick to. Been working fine ever since.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Arizona
Just re-taped all of our vents and ductwork what a joke. Everyone of them were leaking air into the ceiling. The two farthest back were the worst one of them wasn’t even capped off on the end. Time consuming redoing all the work but it was less than $15.
Tailgater269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #5

Texas
How did you get access to all of the duct work?
TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #6

California
Have a 2013 3905 was just like it go get you some good ducting tape got mine at Lowe’s and redone all the vents my self that way I know it was done right big difference wrapped from inside of vent to out side on celling and used box knife cut off excess so it wouldn’t show out from under vent cover uses more tape that way but overlap a little and you will have a good job when you are done
RNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:28 AM   #7

California
How are you getting to the vents to redo them? are you just pulling them off from the inside?
jusbranton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusbranton View Post
How are you getting to the vents to redo them? are you just pulling them off from the inside?
Yes, just remove the vent covers and you will see what we are referring to.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Yes, just remove the vent covers and you will see what we are referring to.
I have been having issues with my 3905 where the main AC unit couldn't keep the main room cool, so I ended up taping off the vents in the bedroom and the backroom. I have 3 AC units and both the front and back will get ice cold. After taping off the vents the main room was much better. That being said, after taking off the covers I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. I just see a big hole up in the ceiling.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I have been having issues with my 3905 where the main AC unit couldn't keep the main room cool, so I ended up taping off the vents in the bedroom and the backroom. I have 3 AC units and both the front and back will get ice cold. After taping off the vents the main room was much better. That being said, after taking off the covers I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. I just see a big hole up in the ceiling.
Where the aluminum foil duct tape is, it is typically not sealed due to sawdust and stuff. Tear that aluminum tape out and re-tape with like aluminum duct tape sealing good around where the "foam duct" material Jon's the ceiling paneling. This will prevent air loss in between the ceiling and much much better cooling.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #11

Texas
By the way, I also removed all 3 complete AC units, middle from the top and front and back from inside and resealed and tape there too and bagged all the wires and taped with electrical tape for cleaner air flow. Big difference, can actually sit on the couch a feel the air hit you now.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusbranton View Post
Take off the four screws on the vents you see inside that’s where mine and most of them are not sealed good it lets it leak into the celling when you pull down the vent cover you will see what I mean and I also took of the covers inside to the ac units mine you can only get to two of the three and checked and sealed in there to

RNelson is offline   Reply With Quote