Aerolite 282 DBHS Mods - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #41

Delaware
as promised here are some more pics.

This is the hole through the wall into the closet. As I said earlier I filled this with black spray foam to seal it up (outside has black silicon over the foam). Wire runs through the pantry closet (on the left) then through the cabinet were the fridge is, the the cabinet where the microwave is, then to the main switch panel.

Here is the hole from the outside-sorry it is difficult to see

Here is the flange where it is mounted:

And one more of the whole thing

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #42

Delaware
I have been going back and forth about adding a slide topper to the unit for some time. I decided to bite the bullet and over the weekend installed a Carefree of Colorado SOK III. I ordered black fabric with black hardware from a local dealer and I will say that the rail the awning slides into is silver. After installation of the unit, looking at the silver rail bugs me. First I thought I installed it upside down (if the screws were on the bottom they would be covered by the material) but after triple checking the instructions, it is installed correctly. I contacted Carefree and was told that a black rail is available ($27) but the silver is standard. I expressed my disappointment and frustration that everything should be black when ordering black hardware. They did not agree oh well. On to the install.

I installed the rail

then then the slide out brackets

then the deflector/roller mount

and finally the roller/fabric

Here it is with the slide out. The white on the wind deflector is the protective film before I pealed it off.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #43

Delaware
Did a few more mods

Got a few more things done.

1. Started making lexan to go into the screen door. I had these pieces laying around so this was a proof of concept. I will replace with a tinted piece.

I cut to fit into grooves where appropriate. Then I used black automotive door edge guard to clean up the look and used thumb tabs to help keep it in place.

2. Tackled my AC issue (see more in AC section) but I ended up making a new feed for the main AC duct. The original was not done correctly.

Here is the camp side feed size. About 2x6

Here is the original non-camp side feed (I had already removed the foil tape) that is 2x2

Here is the new non-camp side feed. about 2x6

3. As part of the continued process to upgrade the AC, I swapped out the interior panel (along with control relay and thermostat) for my AC. This panel is called the Flash Freeze and has three direct dump vents that can be opened to cool the trailer faster. I posted a bit more in the AC section. i

Here is the new flash freeze panel installed. The three tabs on the back section are for the direct dump vents.

Two of the new digital thermostat.

I might eventually look into either upgrading to a 15k unit with heat pump (the new thermostat will control it now) which I could then possible put the 13.5K unit in the bedroom. Haven't decided yet but that wouldn't be until next summer if at all.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 04-17-2015, 03:37 AM   #44

Delaware
New season, new mods.

Actually the first was a fix. One of the bypass valves for the water heater started leaking after I de-winterized it. I cut out the plastic valves and upgraded everything with Shark Bites.

Old

New

I also wired in my portable surge protector inside to protect it from the weather and prying eyes outside. I can't see the screen, but if my power doesn't turn on its just a couple of screws to get to it to read.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #45

Delaware
Some updates over the last year

My apologies, I've been slacking.

Here are some of the latest mods to the trailer.

Fridge fan=no more ice buildup. This keeps the fridge operating for more than 3 days and keeps the entire fridge cold. Easy install with great instructions.

TV Mount-I put two MoRyde mounts together to give me an articulating mount for the living area with the ability to move the TV into the bedroom. Works really great and now you can actually see the TV if you are sitting on the cough.

I also installed a wireless backup camera. My friend had the Furrion camera and enjoyed great success with it. His trailer came with the mount already so he gave me the one that came with his camera kit. I pulled power and ground from the running lights and putting the camera in the mount was a couple of minutes. So far I have had no issues with it and think it works great.

Finally we did a little work on storage inside the unit. I got some nets from Organized Obie. Two went in the bunk area (top and middle) and two went on some open shelves to keep things secure.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #46
Site Team

North Carolina
Looking good

What brand is that fridge fan setup? I have always ended up building my own from computer hard drive cooling fans. What is the power draw on it?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #47

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Looking good

What brand is that fridge fan setup? I have always ended up building my own from computer hard drive cooling fans. What is the power draw on it?

Aaron
www.smartrvproducts.com
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #48

Delaware
Thanks Donsinger. That is the company. I used a computer fan on the outside of the fridge and I was playing around with different designs and brackets to fab something up for the inside. For the price, if someone is capable, it is cheaper to create something but I just didn't have the time. This is well made and was super fast to install a day before a long trip.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 03-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #49

British Columbia
Interesting approach to the surge protector.
you have been a busy little beaver haven't you.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #50
Site Team

North Carolina
This is the fan we have been using inside the fridge, dirt cheap and not to hard to get wired up. IIRC the go for ~$9.00 on Amazon or Ebay.

Aaron
Old 03-19-2016, 02:13 AM   #51

Delaware
Quote:
This is the fan we have been using inside the fridge, dirt cheap and not to hard to get wired up. IIRC the go for ~$9.00 on Amazon or Ebay.

Aaron
I was looking at something like this originally.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #52

Michigan
Quote:

Aaron
Aaron - we have the same fan. Works great and easy to move from side to side as needed.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 AM   #53
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Aaron - we have the same fan. Works great and easy to move from side to side as needed.
Ooooh... you gots one of them fancy double door fridges! I started using mine in the Coleman which had one of the dinky under counter fridges with the freezer compartment inside. Now I actually have a separate freezer compartment, so I will have to see how things work out.

Right now I am trying to talk my wife out of a full tile back splash.

Aaron
Old 03-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #54

British Columbia
Quote:

Aaron
Aaron,

Have you ever seen or used Ceramalite? I have been using it for back splashes for 20-25 years. It comes in 4x8 and a 5x? sized for showers.

My DW won't have real tile in the kitchen anymore, no grout to worry about maintaining and easy to clean.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #55

Oklahoma
Quote:
Ooooh... you gots one of them fancy double door fridges! I started using mine in the Coleman which had one of the dinky under counter fridges with the freezer compartment inside. Now I actually have a separate freezer compartment, so I will have to see how things work out.

Aaron
My solution to a tile backsplash, 'honey, it's going to add more weight to the rig so you'll have to compromise. Say, three less pair of shoes or some jewelry or maybe even your favorite thing-a-ma-jig while on the road'.

Of course I'm single, could that be the cause?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #56

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
My solution to a tile backsplash, 'honey, it's going to add more weight to the rig so you'll have to compromise. Say, three less pair of shoes or some jewelry or maybe even your favorite thing-a-ma-jig while on the road'.

Of course I'm single, could that be the cause?
What, you can't leave some of your tools at home?

Old 03-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #57

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
What, you can't leave some of your tools at home?
Good one!
In Tom's case it would be one whole roll around tool box
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #58
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Aaron,

Have you ever seen or used Ceramalite? I have been using it for back splashes for 20-25 years. It comes in 4x8 and a 5x? sized for showers.

My DW won't have real tile in the kitchen anymore, no grout to worry about maintaining and easy to clean.
Never heard of it. Did a quick check and it isn't sold in my part of the world... go figure. My bride found a peel and stick, it is some sort of thermal plastic. So that is what we are going with. If it doesn't work I did find a source for 4mm quasi peel and stick glass tile, it still needs grouting but you don't need a bunch of spacers to put it in.

Aaron

Old 03-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #59

British Columbia
Quote:
Never heard of it. Did a quick check and it isn't sold in my part of the world... go figure. My bride found a peel and stick, it is some sort of thermal plastic. So that is what we are going with. If it doesn't work I did find a source for 4mm quasi peel and stick glass tile, it still needs grouting but you don't need a bunch of spacers to put it in.

Aaron

Looks like Home Depot Canada is no longer carrying it up here and I don't remember the name of the manufacturer. Last sheet I bought was for this house about ten years back.

I found a similar product at this site.

AquaTile | Decorative Panels International