Adding powered vent - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #1

California
Adding powered vent

Has anyone added a powered vent to the bedroom roof top without removing the ac unit? We have a '16 Voltage 3805 with a bedroom ac. We would like to have a powered vent in the bedroom to supplement the one window for ventilation. We really don't want to sacrifice the ac as we spend a lot of time in the high desert. Is it mandatory to frame around the vent opening or are the roof beams close enough to provide the needed support?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions etc.

Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
You will want to frame around the opening for support. If you have wooden roof frame it won't be too hard. It is all 1x2 or 2x2 framing for the most part.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Washington
Great question. I have a 2016 voltage 3895. My master bedroom is setup the same way. 1 window no vent. I have that on my list of mods to do as well. Hate to cut into that brand new Rubber roof but oh well.
hydmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydmech View Post
Great question. I have a 2016 voltage 3895. My master bedroom is setup the same way. 1 window no vent. I have that on my list of mods to do as well. Hate to cut into that brand new Rubber roof but oh well.
Yup, with the aluminum framing I'm reluctant to chop into it. Ive tried my stud finder but that didn't work to my satisfaction. I was hoping someone else had done something similar and could guide us along.
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

Illinois
I know some of you guys are totally "do it yourself'ers", but sometimes it's better to pay a pro, especially when it comes to cutting into your roof. I fully expect to get "beat up" for saying it, but a guy has to know his limitations. At least if a repair center screws it up, you have some type of recourse. Let the name calling begin! LOL.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I know some of you guys are totally "do it yourself'ers", but sometimes it's better to pay a pro, especially when it comes to cutting into your roof. I fully expect to get "beat up" for saying it, but a guy has to know his limitations. At least if a repair center screws it up, you have some type of recourse. Let the name calling begin! LOL.
Rusty
Nothing wrong with that!

Unfortunately true professionals are few and far between...

I would ask lots of questions and make sure they do what they say they can do.

You can ask Dutchmen for a framing plan, they WILL have one, but will they share?

Aaron
Old 11-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #7

Florida
You may consider turning on the bathroom vent and then open the bedroom and bathroom doors and bedroom window. You may also install a curtain between the bed and bath areas and the living area to minimize air flow from the living area. Just a thought....
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #8

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Nothing wrong with that!

Unfortunately true professionals are few and far between...

I would ask lots of questions and make sure they do what they say they can do.

You can ask Dutchmen for a framing plan, they WILL have one, but will they share?

Aaron
Camping world was able to get me the framing plan for my 3970 wall, so I am sure they exist.

On a side note... Dutchman does not have wiring schematics available even for dealers! I was in the managers office when he asked, the electrician's on the floor don't have a print!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostme View Post
Camping world was able to get me the framing plan for my 3970 wall, so I am sure they exist.

On a side note... Dutchman does not have wiring schematics available even for dealers! I was in the managers office when he asked, the electrician's on the floor don't have a print!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That explains the "custom" wiring...

They have to have something, there is no way the assemblers are capable of creating a wiring system.

FWIW I now own a Coachmen product, I have requested and received; wiring diagrams, framing diagrams and plumbing diagrams. What is even more interesting is that they are relatively accurate!

Aaron
Old 11-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
FWIW I now own a Coachmen product, I have requested and received; wiring diagrams, framing diagrams and plumbing diagrams. What is even more interesting is that they are relatively accurate!
Who'd you talk to at Coachmen? I have a brand new 2017 Leprechaun 319MB with a freshwater leak somewhere under the stovetop. I tried to schedule a service call at my local dealer, but they couldn't handle me before I leave for a week and a half trip in the RV to visit family over Thanksgiving. I requested plumbing plans (specifically, CAD drawings) before I started ripping things apart, and was told they don't exist...
Old 11-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by beausoleil View Post
Who'd you talk to at Coachmen? I have a brand new 2017 Leprechaun 319MB with a freshwater leak somewhere under the stovetop. I tried to schedule a service call at my local dealer, but they couldn't handle me before I leave for a week and a half trip in the RV to visit family over Thanksgiving. I requested plumbing plans (specifically, CAD drawings) before I started ripping things apart, and was told they don't exist...
I used the contact form from the Coachmen website.

I take that back, I don't have plumbing diagrams... But the 6 pages of electrical diagrams show the tanks and some of the waste plumbing.

Your unit has a similar layout to mine. The water heater is right behind the stove, along with the water lines running from it back towards the pump and forward to the sink. The plumbing is pretty straight forward on these units. Ron Ross was the one that emailed them to me.

Aaron
Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
I used the contact form from the Coachmen website.

I take that back, I don't have plumbing diagrams... But the 6 pages of electrical diagrams show the tanks and some of the waste plumbing.

Your unit has a similar layout to mine. The water heater is right behind the stove, along with the water lines running from it back towards the pump and forward to the sink. The plumbing is pretty straight forward on these units. Ron Ross was the one that emailed them to me.

Aaron
Thanks! Ron Ross is out of the office now, will try next week.

beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote