Adding Batteries - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Arizona
Adding Batteries

I'm looking at adding a second battery to my travel trailer and wanted to run something past you all. From what I've read, it's best to buy your two batteries at the same time so they are the same age and pulled down at the same rate (makes sense to me). However, the battery on my TT was installed new in early April of this year and only has one short weekend trip on it. Do you think I'd be in good shape adding another new battery at this time or should I wait until the one I currently have is shot and install 2 new ones at that time? Not sure if it matters, but the original is a group 24 so I would do the same type with the new battery. Thanks guys.

AZ_KODIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Arizona
I just went through the same process as you are considering. The info I gathered says this is not a problem if you can find a battery close to the same manufacture date as the existing one. I see no reason you can't do as you wish. It has worked out well for me so far.
Rich

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Arizona
Thanks Rich, sounds like some good logic there. Would you happen to know if the CCA have to match exactly? My current battering is rated at 540 and the interstate battery I'm considering is 550. I wouldn't think 10 amps would make a difference but I'm not an expert in this area.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

North Carolina
i have a question about the charging of two batteries. the MAIN is, does, ( or should) the inverter STOP charging when the batteries are fully charged?? i had a heartland in the past that ruined some big batteries. it would burn a cell out. I had one big (65lbs), was for a D6 bulldozer. the negative was it took a very long time to recharge. i was gonna run a 110v outlet this weekend. thought i would use it to power two battery tenders. the smart chargers won't bring up a completely dead battery. I could just plug the truck in to bring them up, but that would mean leaving the inverter hooked up...

i have a 2016 voltage 3970.
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
i have a question about the charging of two batteries. the MAIN is, does, ( or should) the inverter STOP charging when the batteries are fully charged?? i had a heartland in the past that ruined some big batteries. it would burn a cell out. I had one big (65lbs), was for a D6 bulldozer. the negative was it took a very long time to recharge. i was gonna run a 110v outlet this weekend. thought i would use it to power two battery tenders. the smart chargers won't bring up a completely dead battery. I could just plug the truck in to bring them up, but that would mean leaving the inverter hooked up...

i have a 2016 voltage 3970.
I personally don't know but I would think that you could take a look at the brand/model inverter that was supplied with your rig and look up the specs on it. You bring up a very valid point that I should look into as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Arizona
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy the exact same battery so I don't know the answer to your question. I suspect the CCA's aren't as important as the amp hours, but that is speculation. Can you not get the same battery?
RichH
Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

Arizona
I looked it up and its a manufacturer that I've never seen sold in the AZ area. The manufacturer is "Mighty Bruin" and I can't really find much information online about it. Looks like it may be an auto parts store brand back in the mid-west but I'm not sure. I purchase the camper new from a dealership in Indiana and they installed the battery before it shipped out. I suppose I could contact them and find out where they purchased it but if I have to ship it from IN to AZ it may not be worth it.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

North Carolina
I added one battery box, and battery. ( they are not the same). In the past, I had added a disconnect switch so i only run one at a time... but, if they both go dead, all i need is to plug in the truck long enough to start the generator .

also I have a Cumins generator controller . I don't know if i want to put this in the new camper or sell it...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

North Carolina
http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau...res/f-1824.pdf
Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
I was considering this until I got my Magnum Energy inverter system. If not for the inverter, I'd have gone this route.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #11

British Columbia
This link has been posted numerous times, by several members. Seek and ye shall have knowledge. You will have a better understanding of the differences between the different types of "Deep Cycle" batteries. Not all deep cycle batteries are created equal and a lot of dealers supply a Marine/Starting Deep Cycle battery. The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Brett,

Your battery is basically new, if you were to add a second battery now, it should match exactly.
Get one as close to the same manufacture date. Use it for one weekend and you have matching batteries.

Personally, I would use the original battery until it is done for. A Group 24 is the smaller of the two common batteries, the larger one is the Group 27.

Like the song says "if I only knew then, what I know now." I would keep the Group 24, get some solar on the roof or even a suitcase panel now. The solar will keep your battery charged while it's in storage. This will allow you to do some boondocking, who knows you might like it. We do.

When the Original battery packs it in, up grade to 2-6V Golf Cart batteries.

I took the long way around through alot of trial and error, 1-12V, generator, 2-12V, 2-6V and finally solar. Much of the trial and error was to adapt our motorcycle touring style to a truck towing a brick.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Arizona
AZ KODIAK, did you notice the PM I sent?
RichH