3605 Basement Remodel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Ohio
3605 Basement Remodel

Since my converter died, I decided to replace it with a 100 amp Boondocker with 4 stage charger. My black friday project was to install the converter. I had not had the wall out that far when I replaced the water pump. What a mess. It turned into a bigger project. I did some clean up and added wire ties to the wire mess. The central vac was taking up a lot of space, so I ended up taking the wall completely out and relocating the vac under the steps. Eliminated about 4 foot of hose and about 6 feet of wire. The end result is I can fit another tub in. Picked up about 18 x 30 inches of space.

First picture shows the plumbing area. I turned the pump around so I could reach the strainer from the outside. Second picture shows the converter and some of the zip ties I added. I did not move any of that wiring. I wish they did not have it resting on the water line. The zip tie takes the pressure off the water line. The last picture is the finished result.

The WFCO 75amp converter that was in there weighed about 3 lbs, this one weighs 11 lbs and the fan hardly ever runs. Seems like a much better unit. The WFCO is under warranty for 2 years, so I sent that back for replacement to have a back up. Going to do the same for the old water pump too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterLines.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2739   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Converter.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2742   Click image for larger version

Name:	FinishedBasement.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2743  

Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Amazing how much materials and space is wasted by the clowns at Dutchmen.

How the hell did you get WFCO to take your unit back? They kept insisting that I had to have mine taken out and replaced by an "authorized" service center. I finally figured that the less than $200 for the PD unit was money well spent and told WFCO where to shove it. From what I have heard from several reliable sources is they will almost always deny warranty unless you push the issue, and it takes them 4-6 weeks to make up their minds. Customer service ain't their forte. FWIW I got my PD from BestConverter. Their service was outstanding and so far the PD unit is doing a much better job than the WFCO. I have tested it and it works in all four stages. I could never get the WFCO to kick over to bulk mode, even with the battery at a 50% discharge.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

California
Very nice Jeff.
It's interesting to see the 2016 Voltages. They have the vacuum mounted up front like most of us have done. Maybe that means someone from Dutchman has looked at this site and copied our modifications.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

How the hell did you get WFCO to take your unit back? They kept insisting that I had to have mine taken out and replaced by an "authorized" service center. I finally figured that the less than $200 for the PD unit was money well spent and told WFCO where to shove it. From what I have heard from several reliable sources is they will almost always deny warranty unless you push the issue, and it takes them 4-6 weeks to make up their minds. Customer service ain't their forte. FWIW I got my PD from BestConverter. Their service was outstanding and so far the PD unit is doing a much better job than the WFCO. I have tested it and it works in all four stages. I could never get the WFCO to kick over to bulk mode, even with the battery at a 50% discharge.

Aaron
Aaron,

I got the RA number and sent the converter back. I have not gotten the replacement yet. So we will see. There is some paperwork to fill out. I did all that and sent them my bill of sale from Holmans. I'm going to do that with the water pump as well once I get the converter. I got my new converter from BestConverter as well. Looked like great prices.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwelsh View Post
Aaron,

I got the RA number and sent the converter back. I have not gotten the replacement yet. So we will see. There is some paperwork to fill out. I did all that and sent them my bill of sale from Holmans. I'm going to do that with the water pump as well once I get the converter. I got my new converter from BestConverter as well. Looked like great prices.
They wouldn't even get far enough to give me an RA. The "customer service" rep that I kept getting insisted that it had to be sent back from an "authorized" service center, that I couldn't do it. Might give it another go after the first of the year. Sad part is; I am better qualified than most of the techs at the so called authorized service center. Found out most of them have zero background in any sort of repairs. NONE are RVIA certified either. At least with that they have to be able to pass basic knowlege tests of the systems they are working on.

Aaron
Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

Ohio
Quote:

Aaron
Quote:
They wouldn't even get far enough to give me an RA. The "customer service" rep that I kept getting insisted that it had to be sent back from an "authorized" service center, that I couldn't do it. Might give it another go after the first of the year. Sad part is; I am better qualified than most of the techs at the so called authorized service center. Found out most of them have zero background in any sort of repairs. NONE are RVIA certified either. At least with that they have to be able to pass basic knowlege tests of the systems they are working on.

Aaron
They have a 2 year warranty and for the 1st year you need to go back to the dealer. I am about 13 months out, so I think that was the key difference.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwelsh View Post
They have a 2 year warranty and for the 1st year you need to go back to the dealer. I am about 13 months out, so I think that was the key difference.
Mine went out back in August 2015. I purchased the camper in June of 2014. So it was out from under the one year dealer warranty. I explained that to them. Apparently my English is better than theirs? The rep I spoke with had a heavy accent and couldn't seem to understand what I was wanting. They kept repeating the "authorized" service center (even though they couldn't tell me who it was) line. Oh well from what I have discovered in my research the PD4900 is a much better unit and works like it supposed to, unlike the WFCO which has never worked properly. I suspect the reason they are OEM in a lot of RV's has more to do with low price than quality unit.

Aaron