213RBSL King Bed Storage "Hold Open" - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Loganville
Posts: 158
Georgia
213RBSL King Bed Storage "Hold Open"

My wife couldn't hold the storage lid under our bed open, told me to fix it. I think we could have gone with a 60lb Gas Spring, but the 90lb may break in a bit over time.

Master Bed (King) Spring Shock Hold Open Mod rvupgrades.com
Qty 1 20-1076 Gas Spring 90lb 17"
Qty 1 20-1066 Gas Spring Flat Mtg Bracket
Qty 1 20-1071 Gas Spring Angled Out Mtg Bracket
Around $20.00 total
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Support1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	3632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Support2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	3633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Support3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	3634  
__________________

__________________
Jeff & Sheila

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,710
Tennessee
Good stuff! Where did you order from?
Thanks for the part numbers, I need to do this.
__________________

__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
snakebitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alvin
Posts: 728
Texas
Yep.

That's a nice storage box. But a beast to easily access while holding up that air-craft-carrier-mattress.

And if you replace that mattress with a good one, it won't be a lighter one!
Nice job!
__________________
2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL-ND
2018 Wolf Pup 17RP Limited (Tiny THauler)
2018 F150 King Ranch 3.5 Beast
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Loganville
Posts: 158
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Good stuff! Where did you order from?
Thanks for the part numbers, I need to do this.
Hello Dawniewest, I ordered from rvupgrades.com Lots of neat stuff on that site that is trying to take $$$ out of my wallet
__________________
Jeff & Sheila

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Loganville
Posts: 158
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Yep.

That's a nice storage box. But a beast to easily access while holding up that air-craft-carrier-mattress.

And if you replace that mattress with a good one, it won't be a lighter one!
Nice job!
Thanks! Yes we've already talked about replacing it in a year or two. For now it works OK.
__________________
Jeff & Sheila

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,710
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post
Thanks! Yes we've already talked about replacing it in a year or two. For now it works OK.
They must be putting better stock mattresses in. After our first night we were both sore from sleeping on that marshmallow mattress. Put a 4"memory foam topper on it and now it's better than our bed at home.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Loganville
Posts: 158
Georgia
Not sure but wife has two thick mattress pads in it and it's OK for now
__________________
Jeff & Sheila

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Jeff,

A word of caution,
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Jeff,

A word of caution,
and the word is don't hit return before your finished.

I was about to relate what happened to me.

Dutchmen in their infinite wisdom deemed MDF (must have been Chinese) was a suitable bed platform in our '07 Brick (Colorado, ugliest towing camper I have towed. But DW is happy.)

I knew it was going to be a problem, one I ignored for 7 years, until I POd my maker. I think Loki was involved too. DW sits on edge of bed, MDF breaks, DW sitting one floor turns and gives stink eye, I turn and run for the back door, DW is hollering at me loud enough I'm sure
all of Dover and maybe all the way to DC could hear her, over the top of the Cup cars "Where are you going?", as I turn my head I yell back "Lowe's, get a sheet of plywood to fix that POS bed?" Under my breath I'm saying, "You broke my nose once, I ain't a slow learner." That's a whole other story, I'm not sure which embelished version I've aready told here. But let my tell you stay away from her rabbit punch, I picked my self up off the floor, dust myself off, go to bathroom, stop bleeding, straighten broken nose, put broken nose back in place, wipe stupid off my forhead, say to myself, "self never do anything so stupid again."

Let me tell you trying to repair a camper bed, in the middle of a camp ground at a NASCAR event, is a comedy of errors. Minimal wood working tools, expecting to reuse hardware, remove all screws, take old platform outside, get new plywood platform layed out, reinstalled new platform, wrestle mattress into place while holding down new lighter platform (and yes you may laugh, without fear of reprisal) mattress in place, release platform, mattress flips up smacks me in the chops, tears in eyes, hinges tore the screws right out, platform flips forward, crashes hits top of feet, more tears, DW is rolling aroung in bedroom doorway LHAO. Go to bathroom mirror rub stupid off forehead and say to self "self never, never do anything so stupid again." Remember way back I said it's OK to laugh. Well laugh if you got 'em.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Now the moral of the story, watch the stuts, they may be too strong for your repair.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Loganville
Posts: 158
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
and the word is don't hit return before your finished.

I was about to relate what happened to me.

Dutchmen in their infinite wisdom deemed MDF (must have been Chinese) was a suitable bed platform in our '07 Brick (Colorado, ugliest towing camper I have towed. But DW is happy.)

I knew it was going to be a problem, one I ignored for 7 years, until I POd my maker. I think Loki was involved too. DW sits on edge of bed, MDF breaks, DW sitting one floor turns and gives stink eye, I turn and run for the back door, DW is hollering at me loud enough I'm sure
all of Dover and maybe all the way to DC could hear her, over the top of the Cup cars "Where are you going?", as I turn my head I yell back "Lowe's, get a sheet of plywood to fix that POS bed?" Under my breath I'm saying, "You broke my nose once, I ain't a slow learner." That's a whole other story, I'm not sure which embelished version I've aready told here. But let my tell you stay away from her rabbit punch, I picked my self up off the floor, dust myself off, go to bathroom, stop bleeding, straighten broken nose, put broken nose back in place, wipe stupid off my forhead, say to myself, "self never do anything so stupid again."

Let me tell you trying to repair a camper bed, in the middle of a camp ground at a NASCAR event, is a comedy of errors. Minimal wood working tools, expecting to reuse hardware, remove all screws, take old platform outside, get new plywood platform layed out, reinstalled new platform, wrestle mattress into place while holding down new lighter platform (and yes you may laugh, without fear of reprisal) mattress in place, release platform, mattress flips up smacks me in the chops, tears in eyes, hinges tore the screws right out, platform flips forward, crashes hits top of feet, more tears, DW is rolling aroung in bedroom doorway LHAO. Go to bathroom mirror rub stupid off forehead and say to self "self never, never do anything so stupid again." Remember way back I said it's OK to laugh. Well laugh if you got 'em.
Jim,

Hope your all healed up after that NASCAR event. I did chuckle, but full well know what you are talking about. But anyway thanks for your comments and concern, they are well taken.

The new 213 has plywood for the lid on the storage section under the bed. Granted not as thick or as high quality as I like, but its not MDF. I looked at Hatchlift.com and was going to purchase a bed lift kit from them, but due to the short length of storage area (23") I tried calling them several time to discuss it and then sent them an e-mail asking some questions. For 3 days they never answered the phone and it took 6 days to answer their e-mail (who knows maybe its a small business & they just took a vacation). So I studied their kits and contents and went to RVUpgrades and purchased the same size gas spring shocks used in the recommended kit for this size "bed" and related hardware. Hatchlift finally did e-mail me back the day before my RVUpgrade parts arrived. From their reply I did good and ordered the right stuff. But now after the installation my mechanical mind set says 60lb shocks would have done the truck. One thing I will do it get some stainless steel machine screws, locknuts and washers and bolt the shock anchors in place on top of just screwing them into the plywood so the screws can't strip out after repeated usage (especially if I go to a NASCAR Race LOL).

Appreciate the insight and thanks again.

PS: I have looked in that same bathroom mirror, as I get older I often wonder if that STUPID I see in the mirror will ever wash off, or is it a tattoo
__________________
Jeff & Sheila

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Jim,

Getting to be too many Jim's around here, maybe I'll change my nam to geezer.

All the way from Dover DE home, I wished I wore hearing aides so I could tun them off. I wasn't going to risk another fail, DW has learned about YOUTUBE and she's been hanging around a little too much and always with her cell phone.

I get home I dug out an old set of door hinges and my box of 7/16 bolts, new set of struts fixed I'll have to put on about 300# before it breaks again.

You shoul
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
snakebitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alvin
Posts: 728
Texas
It's not just a forum. It's a story-channel, every bit as entertaining as Netflix sometimes.

I live alone these days, so a big dose of solitude. It sounds worse than it is.
You guys and your yarns are part of my household.

Great stories.
__________________
2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL-ND
2018 Wolf Pup 17RP Limited (Tiny THauler)
2018 F150 King Ranch 3.5 Beast
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
Member
 
jelliott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Nampa
Posts: 26
Idaho
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post
My wife couldn't hold the storage lid under our bed open, told me to fix it. I think we could have gone with a 60lb Gas Spring, but the 90lb may break in a bit over time.

Master Bed (King) Spring Shock Hold Open Mod rvupgrades.com
Qty 1 20-1076 Gas Spring 90lb 17"
Qty 1 20-1066 Gas Spring Flat Mtg Bracket
Qty 1 20-1071 Gas Spring Angled Out Mtg Bracket
Around $20.00 total
Thanks for posting this tip!! We just purchased a 282dbhs and the wife was saying just last night that I needed to figure out how to put a cylinder in there to help with lifting the bed!!
jelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Loganville
Posts: 158
Georgia
Glad to assist! Hope it works well for you all!
__________________
Jeff & Sheila

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:35 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rochester
Posts: 16
Washington
We brought our bed from our stick home, beautiful no turn memory foam, heavy but comfy! Love this idea as I can't lift ours up either!
__________________

Rannypapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×