213RBSL-Has anyone installed a Bumper Cargo Carrier? - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #41

Oklahoma
well I'll be. My 2016 does NOT have electric stab. My wife uses the power drill when we park.
It almost seems as though we have completely different trailers. Remote for awnings??? What the...

Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #42

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post
Here is that photo, sorry not a close up, but should give you a better idea. On this trip we did not have a sewer hook up. If I recall the Black Tank Flush is above the fresh water inlet. Sorry camper is stored about 5 miles from my home and didn't get a chance to get over there last evening.
Yep, that is a duplicate of my 213. If you look closely, the grey tank handle is facing perpendicular to the user as he squats down and hooks up the hose. The black tank handle is on the right and parallel to the side of the TT. And yes, the grey tank pipe connects to the dump pipe just after the black tank valve.

I actually thought I bought the 2016 model. I guess in retrospect nobody actually TOLD me that. But on delivery, I have a 2017 VIN and the 15,000 BTU AC. I'm not complaining, of course. But I didn't even know there were upgrades involved between the models. Again, I wouldn't be heart broken if I lost the remote. But I'm betting those electric stabilizers would be harder to say goodbye to. And the cabinets in the outdoor kitchen are very handy if you really do want to have it equipped 100% of the time for use as an outdoor kitchen.

Not sure any of the other changes are substantial.

But remember, these kinds of things are true for almost everything from smartphones to cars to Televisions...........The latest greatest syndrome. Don't let it steal your joy!

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #43

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Yep, that is a duplicate of my 213. If you look closely, the grey tank handle is facing perpendicular to the user as he squats down and hooks up the hose. The black tank handle is on the right and parallel to the side of the TT. And yes, the grey tank pipe connects to the dump pipe just after the black tank valve.

I actually thought I bought the 2016 model. I guess in retrospect nobody actually TOLD me that. But on delivery, I have a 2017 VIN and the 15,000 BTU AC. I'm not complaining, of course. But I didn't even know there were upgrades involved between the models. Again, I wouldn't be heart broken if I lost the remote. But I'm betting those electric stabilizers would be harder to say goodbye to. And the cabinets in the outdoor kitchen are very handy if you really do want to have it equipped 100% of the time for use as an outdoor kitchen.

Not sure any of the other changes are substantial.

But remember, these kinds of things are true for almost everything from smartphones to cars to Televisions...........The latest greatest syndrome. Don't let it steal your joy!
Why the differences on the 213 or other Dutchman Aerolite Camper? Its all in the option package the dealer gets from what I understand. See the Dutchman Website Features and Specs page and look at the lengthy list of "packages"

Aerolite Features Specs and Options

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #44

Tennessee
Quote:
Here is that photo, sorry not a close up, but should give you a better idea. On this trip we did not have a sewer hook up. If I recall the Black Tank Flush is above the fresh water inlet. Sorry camper is stored about 5 miles from my home and didn't get a chance to get over there last evening.
Interesting, the dump valve is in the same spot as mine, but they reconfigured all the different hook up spots. Those electric jacks are sweet, but I like my color scheme better.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #45

Tennessee
After seeing you pic, I was reminded of something. Consider getting covers for your heater vents in the back, a mud dauber of hornet will make a mess of you furnace, I saw a guy have to rip his furnace out at a campground because of this. They also make screens to cover the fridge vents.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #46

Texas
Believe me when I say I like your color scheme better too. That end cap is wicked cool!

I didn't know an Aerolite from a Denali when I first ran into a after dark visual of that end cap of yours. It was in a state park in Alabama down by the ocean. That rig stood out amongst 100+. The atmosphere around that "spot" was awesome. Lots of kids and toys and porch sitting adults having an awesome time.

The next time I saw that big neon V was in my own driveway.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #47

Georgia
I have to ditto Snakebitten - I like your color scheme way better too!
And yes, a screen cover was installed over the gas heater vents as soon as we returned from this trip (our maiden voyage) about 8 days after we purchased it. Had a screen cover on our Flagstaff 425D heater vents too (pop-up).

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 09-29-2016, 01:50 AM   #48

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
How dare you! Electric jacks on a lil mini camper? My greatest joy in setting up is taking an hour (3 beers) to gently raise each scissor jack perfectly level with my cordless drill. Wonder why they needed to move the black tank? I'm assuming they did if the flush valve was moved.

I already have two tv remotes and a direct tv remote, one more and I would have to buy a 3/4 ton truck to haul them.
Dawie,

My greatest joy is take 3 beers, recline in my anti-gravity chair and watch DW gently raise the each scissor jack perfectly level with the hand crank. Oops I was dreaming, wake up.

This is just a WAG, but I wouldn't doubt they moved the black tank forward for the same reason that Airstream discontiuned the rear bath models. The framed sagged seriously. I'm gonig to have to defer to Aaron, but I seem to recall an incident where one actualy broke and the aluminum bumper was worn through before they could stop.

Not sure a 3/4 town would handle the 4th remote.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #49

Georgia
I received the Cargo Carrier and put it together, its pretty stout. Went to install it on the 213 and uh-oh, looks like it's time for another mod
When installing it the back right side hits the Spare Tire before going properly into the receiver. So now its time to pull the spare tire mount off and bring it into work to make it 6-8" taller to clear the cargo carrier.
Attached are a few pics of the carrier and a clearer shot of the 213 Connections that was discussed earlier in the thread (with a cover on the exhaust )

I also purchased some DOT Red-White Reflective tape to put on the Cargo Carrier to make it more visible. You can order a light package for this one also. Thinking about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	3643   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	3644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	3645  

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #50

British Columbia
Quote:
I received the Cargo Carrier and put it together, its pretty stout. Went to install it on the 213 and uh-oh, looks like it's time for another mod
When installing it the back right side hits the Spare Tire before going properly into the receiver. So now its time to pull the spare tire mount off and bring it into work to make it 6-8" taller to clear the cargo carrier.
Attached are a few pics of the carrier and a clearer shot of the 213 Connections that was discussed earlier in the thread (with a cover on the exhaust )

I also purchased some DOT Red-White Reflective tape to put on the Cargo Carrier to make it more visible. You can order a light package for this one also. Thinking about that.
Jeff,

Time for an under trailer spare tire carrier. I think the last one that I bought was an F150, got it from a wrecker for around $30. Hang it ahead of your receiver and towards the curb-side.

I would put lights on the carrier, with the wide variety of state/provincial laws.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #51

Texas
Nicely done.

So, I see your anti-dirt dobber screen. Did you make it? Or is it available retail?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #52

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Nicely done.

So, I see your anti-dirt dobber screen. Did you make it? Or is it available retail?
Thank you! I bought it at Camping World. Here is the info
Flying Insect Screen for Sol-Aire, Coleman, Hydroflame and Suburban Furnaces $17.84

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #53

Texas
Thank you Gwinner!

I used your info to do an Amazon search and located a combination listing of 3 different screens that look like they address, the furnace, Hot Water heater, and refrigerator vents.

Consumers have it SO easy these days. Search, click, purchase, have shipped directly to your porch. All from the comfort of your favorite chair. It's just crazy.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #54

Tennessee
These are 2 piece but a little cheaper. Stayed on well for the past two years
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42141-F.../dp/B00192JFBI
Old 10-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #55

Texas
That 2-piece furnace kit was part of the "3-product" listing I ordered.

Camco 42141 (furnace)
Camco 42149 (fridge)
Camco 42145 (water heater)

Good to hear you are pleased with it.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #56

Tennessee
Just be a little gentle with the installation tool, it's not exactly a snap-on.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #57

Georgia
Hi All
Haven't had the time to get my Bumper Mounted Spare Tire Carrier raised 6-8". But I did drop it off at local small weld shop (work is too busy). They want $90 to lengthen it and I left it there to get done.

But I did see this in my RVUpgrade emails this morning. Does anyone have any experience with this product? It sure looks like a good idea.

I think I may just call the weld shop and put a stop on it, this is $78 Amazon Prime!?!?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-H...-p/92-0152.htm

Thanks!

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
Old 10-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #58

British Columbia
Quote:
Hi All
Haven't had the time to get my Bumper Mounted Spare Tire Carrier raised 6-8". But I did drop it off at local small weld shop (work is too busy). They want $90 to lengthen it and I left it there to get done.

But I did see this in my RVUpgrade emails this morning. Does anyone have any experience with this product? It sure looks like a good idea.

I think I may just call the weld shop and put a stop on it, this is $78 Amazon Prime!?!?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-H...-p/92-0152.htm

Thanks!
Jeff,

That's an updated version of the tire carrier that our old Airstream had. The only thing I didn't like was having to crawl under the camper to get to it.

I much prefer the automotive style hoist. It would cost a little more to do, but the wreckers are filled with faily new pick-ups that probably have nearly brand new hoists in them. Angle iron across the frame and mount it.

To get the tire down, my cordless drill, an adapter and a hook. When I need the tire, I hook the wheel and pull towards me as I lower it. Reverse the proceedure to stow the tire.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #59

Tennessee
Quote:
I wish you would buy that, I want to know how it works
That design looks simple and maintenance free.

One thing to remember if you go with the automotive style, they have a habit of freezing up if you don't drop them once a year and lube them.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:12 AM   #60

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I wish you would buy that, I want to know how it works
That design looks simple and maintenance free.

One thing to remember if you go with the automotive style, they have a habit of freezing up if you don't drop them once a year and lube them.
Just depends on where they are mounted. The automotive ones are tucked right up out of the way, not much road spray gets to them. The RV version usually gets mounted under the A-frame and they aren't as water resistant.

But like everthing mechanical they must be maintained.