Bought a drone - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Photography and Video Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #41

Illinois
Quote:
---Quote (Originally by acdii)---

Sorry for being on topic regarding drones. Maybe I should have talked about jay walkers instead.

---End Quote---

Lets not be disingenuous, you came on here to voice your gripes about quadcopters. The first line of your first post stated you were really upset that the AMA grouped drones in with your toy airplanes, which had less to do with the thread topic than jaywalking would have.

And YET, I gave you Kudos and applauded you for following the rules. Shall I take them back?

What I posted is to hopefully inform Others who do not follow rules and therefore hurt our hobby.

BTW, when you post, it emails what you post, so deleting them wont make them go away.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #42

Arizona
Finally some drama on the Dutchmen forum

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #43

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
This certainly is more exciting that what tires to buy for the nineteenth time.

Group hug?

I don't think I want a drone anymore.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:49 AM   #44

South Carolina
Quote:
Old 09-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #45

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
This certainly is more exciting that what tires to buy for the nineteenth time.

Group hug?

I don't think I want a drone anymore.

How about two tires and a drone

Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #46

Florida
Since this post started, I really have enjoyed the pictures that have been posted! So much so I have talked Santa Claus (wife ) into buying me one for Christmas (DJI Mavic 2). Digging deeper into where NOT to fly them, I was a little disappointed that All National parks are restricted areas for drone flights.

Here is a map I found that I hope will help keep me legal

Drone restricted areas
Old 10-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #47

Florida
Quote:
Since this post started, I really have enjoyed the pictures that have been posted! So much so I have talked Santa Claus (wife ) into buying me one for Christmas (DJI Mavic 2). Digging deeper into where NOT to fly them, I was a little disappointed that All National parks are restricted areas for drone flights.

Here is a map I found that I hope will help keep me legal

Drone restricted areas
Cool Map! Thanks for posting it. Looks like I live in a NO FLY ZONE... oh well. I guess I could keep it under the radar since the planes fly over my home to get to TIA. I have a little helo that I have been playing with when I have a few minutes, not too good at it and it won't fly too high anyway.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #48

Arizona
Some drone shots from our recent San Diego trip. One of Point Loma and Silver Strand the other of Chula Vista RV Resort with the neighboring park which was hosting a car show. The RV park is due to be closed next year and bulldozed while a new, better park is to be opened a little to the north.

Before the motors would start my drone warned me I was near a no-fly zone and made me promise I would fly responsibly and it wouldn't let me fly above 400' . I have a DJI Mavic Pro and DJI seems to be very good at keeping its pilots out of trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71266108_10215037140705139_1185000877333676032_n.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	5917   Click image for larger version

Name:	70184842_10215009053482976_8105931269965086720_n.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	5918  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #49

Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Some drone shots from our recent San Diego trip. One of Point Loma and Silver Strand the other of Chula Vista RV Resort with the neighboring park which was hosting a car show. The RV park is due to be closed next year and bulldozed while a new, better park is to be opened a little to the north.

Before the motors would start my drone warned me I was near a no-fly zone and made me promise I would fly responsibly and it wouldn't let me fly above 400' . I have a DJI Mavic Pro and DJI seems to be very good at keeping its pilots out of trouble.

Makes me feel better about drones when the manufacturers add this feature. Helps expand the hobby while not bringing it into the focus of the FAA and legal beagles. Fly responsibly and keep taking pictures!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #50

Florida
Ok all you dronies,
Santa Claus has stated there will be a DJI Mavic Pro 2 under the tree for me on Christmas morning.
So here are a few questions to help Santa find the best deal.
1. Where to purchase?
2. What package should I get?
3. Buy one on black Friday, or wait until cyber Monday?
4. I know i would be a rookie pilot, but with all of the automatic features on it, this model sturdy enough to learn on?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #51

Michigan
Quote:
Ok all you dronies,

Santa Claus has stated there will be a DJI Mavic Pro 2 under the tree for me on Christmas morning.

So here are a few questions to help Santa find the best deal.

1. Where to purchase?

2. What package should I get?

3. Buy one on black Friday, or wait until cyber Monday?

4. I know i would be a rookie pilot, but with all of the automatic features on it, this model sturdy enough to learn on?

Thanks.
I did all of my learning on my Mavic Pro. Very easy to fly and learn on! Get comfy and take your time. You'll nee amazed at how quickly you'll pick it up
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #52

Tennessee
If you can use your smartphone for the remote
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Quadcopte...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you want the smart controller, doesn't tie up your phone while flying and has a way brighter screen
https://www.amazon.com/Quadcopter-Co...s%2C158&sr=8-4
The first seller is authorized, I believe the second on is as well, but DOUBLE check on DJI's site, regardless of what the ad says if they are not on the website DJI will not warranty the drone. If you find another "combo kit" my must haves are

1- 3 batteries
2- good hardcase, the ones in the links will fit 90% of all your extras and it's great peace of mind
3- At least a 64mb card, the 128 is way more than enough
4- Leg extensions, your $800 camera will sit about 1" off the ground without them, I put mine on from day one and will never take them off. The drone will still fit in the hardcase with them on.

I actually do use the backpack that the one kit has, but it's not mandatory. I do use the lens filters a little, nice to have the option if you're not a professional photographer. Each kit will have one or 2 cheap things you will not use, but it's still a cheaper route to get everything else you need.
If you go with the smart controller, get the threaded neckstrap, I think one kit comes with it. I flew for a few weeks without one, I would not recommend
Old 11-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #53

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If you can use your smartphone for the remote
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Quadcopte...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you want the smart controller, doesn't tie up your phone while flying and has a way brighter screen
https://www.amazon.com/Quadcopter-Co...s%2C158&sr=8-4
The first seller is authorized, I believe the second on is as well, but DOUBLE check on DJI's site, regardless of what the ad says if they are not on the website DJI will not warranty the drone. If you find another "combo kit" my must haves are

1- 3 batteries
2- good hardcase, the ones in the links will fit 90% of all your extras and it's great peace of mind
3- At least a 64mb card, the 128 is way more than enough
4- Leg extensions, your $800 camera will sit about 1" off the ground without them, I put mine on from day one and will never take them off. The drone will still fit in the hardcase with them on.

I actually do use the backpack that the one kit has, but it's not mandatory. I do use the lens filters a little, nice to have the option if you're not a professional photographer. Each kit will have one or 2 cheap things you will not use, but it's still a cheaper route to get everything else you need.
If you go with the smart controller, get the threaded neckstrap, I think one kit comes with it. I flew for a few weeks without one, I would not recommend
Thanks for the inputs! I was just going to ask if anyone thought the smart controller was worth the price (mixed reviews) and you answered that already.
Santa needs to put a turbo on his sled and get here sooner!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #54

Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for the inputs! I was just going to ask if anyone thought the smart controller was worth the price (mixed reviews) and you answered that already.
Santa needs to put a turbo on his sled and get here sooner!
After using a friends phone controller, there's no comparison between the two. If you fly in bright sunshine it's almost impossible to see a cell phone screen. And you can add a memory card for backup and pic/vid storage
Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #55

Arizona
Got my Mavic Pro at Costco for $100 off sticker price. I use my Samsung S8 phone with very good results. I try to keep it shaded, though.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #56

Florida
DJI has a black Friday deal going on started today, $350 off from DJI store online. Hoping retailers follow their lead.

I see almost all vendors on Amazon claim to be "DJI autorized" dealers, but if I check DJI'S website as recommended, it only shows Amazon, not any of the sub-venders listed on Amazon, so does that indicate, those are the ones to be avoided for warranty sake? Or if they are listed under the Amazon banner are they ok? Sent email to DJI and hope to hear before black Friday ends.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #57

Tennessee
https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy/online-retails
Look for the amazon logo by their name

You can also do a retail search by zip code from the top of that page

Another way to tell is to sign up for DJI care (their insurance) after you purchase, if it wasn't an authorized dealer, they won't let you buy it.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #58

Florida
Well Santa delivered as promised!

DJI Mavic 2 Pro with smart controller.

Went through two batteries today (have 3) and didn't crash it!!

This thing is sweet!
Old 12-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #59

Illinois
Guys, just a heads up. I received an email from the FAA yesterday regarding drone flying. New proposals are out that will require Register ID. Apparently it will restrict unregistered drones to be able to be flown only in FAA Recognized Identification Areas (FRIA), which means only AMA sanctioned flying fields. To fly there you must also be an AMA member and be registered with the FAA as a modeler and have your FAA ID on your drone. Failure to do so can amount to $1400 fines up to $33,000.

FAA is slamming down the hammer with this latest proposal.

The Mavic may possibly be upgraded via software upgrade to be Remote ID capable and must be registered with the FAA, the drone itself registered, in order to be flown anywhere outside of a FRIA.

You can read all about it here
Old 12-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #60

Arizona
The sky cops also want to be able to scan a flying drone to determine who owns it for prosecution. Whenever the government gets involved in something it all goes to hades.

« Galveston, TX | - »