Upgraded portable grill from charcoal to propane - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

New Jersey
Upgraded portable grill from charcoal to propane

We (by we I mean me ) cook mostly outdoors while camping but don't like spending a lot of time setting up. So a few weeks ago I decided to upgrade our outdoor charcoal grill setup (chimney and kettle) to a popular single-burner Weber Q-1200 propane grill that stores perfectly in our very small single-axle 16 footer basement storage.

Propane is definitely the way to go. We no longer have to bring along 2-3 bags of heavy, bulky, (and probably unhealthy) charcoal briquettes in the RV. And what a difference in setup speed and performance! It all sets up in 5 minutes or less.

The biggest challenge was indirect cooking with only one burner. I thought this would be impossible but it turns out you can top one side of the grill with some aluminum foil (no holes) or use an aluminum foil pan/dish on one side for the same effect.

After searing meat, veggies, etc. on the open flame, drop them onto or into the foil. Then check with a digital thermometer every so often until finished cooking.

Part of what makes camping so great is great food. Also great company.

Wishing you BOTH this summer!

Ken

High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Tennessee
That grille is the best purchase i've made for the camper by far. It will get up to 600f for searing steaks. The next best purchase is getting an adapter kit and 10ft of hose so I can run it off our propane tanks, buying those 1lb bottles was getting old.

There's a company that makes a bumper mount holder specifically designed for that grille, that's my next purchase.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 AM   #3

South Carolina
[sarcasm]Bah! I am surrounded by heathens![/sarcasm]

On a more serious note, I prefer charcoal over propane for cooking; the coal adds flavor to the items being cooked. Now that I might be officially over 21, I like to cook with whatever flavors I can get. And yes, I smoke Boston Butts on my regular smoker when we're not out camping as that is about a 12 hour job.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

Arizona
While I dont consider going from charcoal to gas and upgrade, rather a downgrade!! I prefer charcoal. That being said, gas is way more convenient. I do the charcoal at home though.

Thats one of my big purchases planned for the new trailer is the bumper gas grill...I have the outdoor kitchen and that bumper grill would work perfect for the set up.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole View Post
[sarcasm]Bah! I am surrounded by heathens![/sarcasm]

On a more serious note, I prefer charcoal over propane for cooking; the coal adds flavor to the items being cooked. Now that I might be officially over 21, I like to cook with whatever flavors I can get. And yes, I smoke Boston Butts on my regular smoker when we're not out camping as that is about a 12 hour job.
Yeah I loved the taste of charcoal too but it just took too darn long to get the coals ready, etc. and that's time we'd rather use to explore the trails.

Ken
High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
I prefer charcoal. Have 3 Weber grills and a smoker. I also have propane for when the weather is too crappy to use charcoal. One of my main activities when camping is grilling.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote