The hijack thread and other assorted non camping related stories - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post

It's a disease.
I think it's a drug, you just have to have it. I love that adrenaline rush.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:21 AM   #22

Oklahoma
Quote:
My mom divorced one of my stepdads, and a few weeks later I turned 16.
Happy Birthday to me. (Mom didn't know the difference from a CX70 and a CB750(K2)

I was finally somebody in the High School parking lot.

I had a green one of those guys that I later turned into a show bike. I earned a few first in class in the World of Wheels car show in Tucson. That was when Evel Knievel would show up in his Caddy station wagon and the original Bat Mobile was show stock.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:49 AM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I had a green one of those guys that I later turned into a show bike. I earned a few first in class in the World of Wheels car show in Tucson. That was when Evel Knievel would show up in his Caddy station wagon and the original Bat Mobile was show stock.
There was some very interesting stuff happening in the bike world in those days. That's right around the time that HD was taken over by AMF. The British bikes were begining to tranish, Beemers started showing up more frequently. And the Japanesse invasion into the custom bike market.

I used to buy a bike magazine in the 70's, there were some outrageous "Japanese" choppers.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #24

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
There was some very interesting stuff happening in the bike world in those days. That's right around the time that HD was taken over by AMF. The British bikes were begining to tranish, Beemers started showing up more frequently. And the Japanesse invasion into the custom bike market.

I used to buy a bike magazine in the 70's, there were some outrageous "Japanese" choppers.
Not being a Harley rider I had totally forgotten about AMF and its balls
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Not being a Harley rider I had totally forgotten about AMF and its balls
They do have some big balls, I like the biggest ones with the finger holes best

AMF came closer to driving HD out of business between 1961 & 1981, than any depression or economic down ever did.

My first HD was an '81 FLHT and i couldn't get rid of that AMF logo fast enough.

When the group of 13 bought HD back, in 1981, they went back to Henry Ford's production line with just in time delivery of the components to the work stations. And as they say, "the rest is history."

HD was kind enough to give our retirement savings a nice little boost, so I"m pretty committed to HD. And I like the story, given the right time and the right place, that could be me, just like any of the dreamers that saw the fruits of their labors.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #26

Texas
Don't make too many assumptions because I don't have one in the stable. HD is one of the great American Success Stories.

But they make it far too easy for me NOT to buy and maintain one. The HD rental program is simply outstanding. If other makes had similar ways to ride-the-mood-your-in, I'd own far fewer bikes!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Don't make too many assumptions because I don't have one in the stable. HD is one of the great American Success Stories.

But they make it far too easy for me NOT to buy and maintain one. The HD rental program is simply outstanding. If other makes had similar ways to ride-the-mood-your-in, I'd own far fewer bikes!
Yep, an HD is just about as big of of a hole in the road as a camper.

But your, Honor it ain't my fault, my mother was scared by a Harley when she was carrying me. It ain't my fault I was introduced to the world of "gear heads" when I was 2 years old. It ain't my fault I got a ride in the policeman's sidecar when I was 6 years old. It ain't my fault I'm addicted to all things Harley.

Your Honor, it just ain't my fault.

For me it was part of my dream. I swear I was born a hundred years too late, I should have been the nomadic hero that rode into town to save the day.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #28

Texas
If I had been born a hundred years earlier, as you put it, I suspect I would have been on horseback as much as I've been on 2 wheels. I can't prove that, of course.

But, George Strait sings a song called "Cowboys like us" and it is iron-horses that he is singing about. The lyrics are my idealistic bull's-eye! So I don't think it is a reach, my prediction of 1800's lifestyle. I'd have done my adventure riding, but on a horse with a name.

Having said all that, I am VERY grateful to have been born after electricity and indoor plumbing were invented. And even more grateful to have been born on the very SPOT of this big blue-green ball, that I was. I am convinced that I have been gifted with the best circumstances that our species have ever been offered in however many thousands of years we have inhabited this planet. In fact, ALL of us folks around here can make the same claim.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
If I had been born a hundred years earlier, as you put it, I suspect I would have been on horseback as much as I've been on 2 wheels. I can't prove that, of course.

But, George Strait sings a song called "Cowboys like us" and it is iron-horses that he is singing about. The lyrics are my idealistic bull's-eye! So I don't think it is a reach, my prediction of 1800's lifestyle. I'd have done my adventure riding, but on a horse with a name.

Having said all that, I am VERY grateful to have been born after electricity and indoor plumbing were invented. And even more grateful to have been born on the very SPOT of this big blue-green ball, that I was. I am convinced that I have been gifted with the best circumstances that our species have ever been offered in however many thousands of years we have inhabited this planet. In fact, ALL of us folks around here can make the same claim.
I hear you, I love where we've landed, nice little small town, 2300 people, no stop lights, no crime to speak of, mostly crimes of oppourtunity by outsiders passing through.

I was born to a father that had a severe case of wanderlust, hence our "travelling" vs camping lifestyle. I love discovering the local foods and dishes. I learn as much as I can about the ingredients, find a kind sole that will share some authentic recipies and practice them at home until I can replicate a reasonable facsimile of the original. Add to that the local music and culture and I'm in heaven.

Last years Easter dinner was a trip around the world with stops in the south, the southwest/Mexico, the northeast seaboard, Japan, China and Scandinavia added to the fried turkey, I served. It was so cool to come out of the kitchen with a new and different dish and watch it disappear as folks tucked in.

Since then I've added Jamaican and a couple of traditional African dishes, that some of our new Canadians have shared with me.

I can do a mean set of smoked ribs, using me own take on a rub and a few little proprietary secret ingredients. Most of our meals include some heat in the forum of hot peppers and often include the Cajun "holy trinity."

Truth be told I probably should have been born into the days of the Vikings, but the nasties and pillaging aren't in my DNA. I would have been the ship builder rather than a warrior. But I was born into a family of Swedes that wandered around Sweden, then ended up in Canada in the late 1800's.

I'm the guy you want to see riding down the highway on his iron horse or diesel locomotive, when your broke down, boiled over or out of fuel. I can help you with them all and as long as you promise me that you will pass it along, I won't even let you pay for the gas or fuel.

Still see the guy on his way from LA to New York on his crotch rocket. He went by us as we were just heading out the Bonniville Salt Flats, must have been doing close to 100. About ten minutes later, this little dot appears on the horizon, not moving very fast. As I got closer to to dot and could start making it out, there he was pushing his bike along the shoulder of the road, out of gas. That was the day he loved HD riders, I had 2 gallons straped to the popup. Never saw a guy so appreciative, he wouldn't just take the gas, he insisted I take $20. When we got home that $20 went to the SPCA.

Hence the white hat, riding into town on the (Iron)horse to save the citizens from Black Bart.

Cowboy Code I live by you get, 1 good horse (HD), 1 good dog (several) and one good woman. Check, check, check. I can die with my boots on and know I got everything out of life I was entitled to, all the rest was just icing on lifes journey.