The cost of full timing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Tennessee
The cost of full timing

We are a few years away from even considering this option, but I believe in tons of research before diving into something.

I really have no idea what the actual monthly/yearly cost would be? I'm talking strictly lot and utilities. I realize they vary widely according to the place, but any input as to your specific experiences would be appreciated.

Heck, feel free to let us know about any or all of the hidden cost's associated with living life on the road.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #2

Illinois
Dawniewest, I guess I "full time" part-time. Spend six months a year in Florida. I had the same concerns as you before we started. AS you know, it all depends on your lifestyle and where you stay. In Florida, there are sites in prime season that are $2,500 a month PLUS electric. I stay at a County campground for 5 months (maximum allowed). $850 a month, plus $100 for extra vehicle parking. This includes all utilities and wifi. Pretty sweet deal. I also have an extended warranty with $100 deductible, so I have no real unexpected expenses in that area, not counting the time I didn't pull in my awing and did $1,500 damage. We don't eat out a ton, but do entertain a lot so that's a few bucks, but probably less than you spend at home. Hope it helps.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Hope it helps.
Rusty
Any info is helpful, thanks. $2500 a month is crazy, $850 is a lot more reasonable.

It's still $300 more a month than my mortgage, the perks of sweat equity.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Illinois
I still keep my house in Illinois for summers (although thinking about buying something tiny out west, just to get out of Illinois, which we hate). I'm sure if you really "full-time" your expenses will be way less than maintaining your house, and a hell of a lot more fun.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Maryland
We were in Monterey, CA...prices were from $650 plus electric...we did $950 including electric.

Here in southern MD, we pay $550 per month plus electric. During hot summers power can run near $200, we average $100ish.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #6

Maryland
Lots of places have weekly rates. When I retire, we will probably roam the country staying weekly at places.

We did Thousabd Trails while in CA, was a great deal out there. We used our 14 free days, then paid the few dollars a day after. When we were on the move, we stayed no more than 4 days in one place so we could go to a repeat Thousand Trails. Some of them had really low monthly rates for members. San Benito was $450/month if a Thousand Trails member, $800 otherwise. Keep in mind, a lot of the Thousand Trails parks are worn out.

We may also check into Passport America.

Cale

Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Wyoming
Well, August 1st marked the anniversary of my first year of full-timing. It's been great, and it's also been educational to say the least.

For the 2 years prior to full timing... I used to just look at the map, pick an area, find a campground, make reservations, and go. Really didn't have to worry about the costs, because I was only going out for a few weeks at a time.

These days, I've had to amend that a bit... as just going 'willy-nilly' gets a tad expensive after awhile.

Let's start with the basics:

1) Campground Rates:

I figure the average daily rate of a 50-amp, full hookup RV site around the country is $45-$50/day. Some lower obviously, and some higher... especially if you want to 'chase the weather', or visit popular tourist areas.

An example of that is, I wanted to travel up to Glacier Nat'l Park in northern Montana this year... but I was floored when the average rate of everyplace I called within 50 miles of the park was over $75/night! I mean... it's MONTANA for God's sake, not coastal California! But then you figure, the campgrounds & RV parks up there only have a 4-5 month window to make their nut for the year... so you begin to understand why the rates are higher.

Anyway, back to the math. At $50/day x 30 days... that's $1,500 per month for your RV site.

Now, you can get significant discounts with weekly and/or monthly rates... but I'll tie that together after the next segment.

2) Fuel Costs:

This is a 2-part question:

A) How often do you want to move?
B) How far between locations do you wish to travel?

It goes without saying that... the more often you move & the farther you travel, the more fuel you will burn in your tow vehicle.

If you move 200-300 miles every 3 or 4 days, that's going to be 6 or 7 tanks of fuel per month. (figure your own costs based on your vehicle)

So, tying both Rates & Fuel together... if you stay in one location longer... you get better rates, and you burn less fuel.

Except at the more popular resort places... even if unadvertised on their websites, most campgrounds & RV parks will offer weekly and monthly rates if you call them. But note: they usually won't extend the Good Sam, KOA, Passport America or other discounts on weekly/monthly rates.

As such, weekly rates normally won't save you that much... the normal being, pay the normal rate for 6 nights and get the 7th free.

But monthly rates will normally save you HUGE amounts of money... in most cases, around 40%... and in some cases, well over 50%.

Case in point: the place I'm staying in now in Montana, for my pull-thru, 50 amp, full hookup site is $50.89/night. Multiply that times 30 days = $1,526.70 + tax. My monthly rate was $500.00 flat. I'm basically paying for 10 days, and getting 20 free.

Last month in Wyoming was similar, except it worked out to me paying for 13 days and getting 17 for free.

Now, most people would initially ask... why would I want to stay in one place for a month? Well, I'm in no hurry. I'm full-time! I get to ride my motorcycle & tour the entire area at my leisure, and get to really know the place.

Now, do I stay a full month everywhere I go? No, of course not. But when I find a place that's centrally located amid places I want to visit... it sure does help the budget.

3) Food

Unless you like eating PB&J sandwiches often... its been my experience that my total food costs are about 30% higher than what I was spending when I owned a home. I'm not necessarily eating more (in fact, I think I'm eating less)... but I am eating out a bit more often. Plus, for the groceries I do buy to cook in the RV... because of the smaller refrigerator & pantry space, I can't buy most things in larger containers/bottles/boxes or in bulk. And, being a single guy... I tend to buy things that are simple to cook. Like steak. LOTS of steak.

4) Misc Household & Laundry:

One great part about full timing is that you won't need near as many clothes. Besides underwear, my wardrobe consists of 5 t-shirts (1 long sleeve), 1 sweat shirt, 3 polo shirts, 3 pair shorts, 2 pair gym shorts/swim shorts, 2 pair of track pants/sweats, 2 pair jeans, 2 pair khakis... and just in case: 2 dress shirts, a pair of dress slacks, and a sports jacket.

That's it, and since I usually only wear about half of it, even that's really too much. I live in shorts & t-shirts. If I go out to dinner, jeans & a polo shirt.

But having fewer clothes means doing laundry more often. I tried depending on laundromats for awhile, and that REALLY, REALLY got old. Some places have great laundry facilities, most don't. It's the "unknown" factor that makes it bad. Some machines work well, some don't. Some charge outrageously high prices to use... some machines eat your money... some dryers don't dry... and if you don't spend 2 hours or so staying with your laundry, sometimes it gets gone.

It was expensive, but one of the very best purchases I made for my rig was my combo washer/dryer. Yeah, it takes up a few cubic feet in my garage, and it can only handle small loads... but the convenience factor just can't be beat. I usually do laundry every other day... 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts and/or jeans, and maybe a polo shirt if I dined out one day. When I need to wash towels & such, they go in a separate load.

5) Repair & Maintenance:

When you use your rig more often, things are going to require repair & replacement more often.

If you're handy with tools, and aren't afraid of getting to know your rig, and trying to do things yourself... you'll save a bit of money. But sometimes, you'll have to break down & call that mobile mechanic to figure things out. If you're still under warranty, or have an extended service plan, that'll help.

And even though you may be handy, and think you'll be able to do most of the regular maintenance yourself... you really won't. Why? Because, with the exception of emergency repairs, I have yet to find an RV park that will allow me to do any exterior maintenance on my rig, my truck, or my motorcycle. Not even an oil change. Which means I usually have to pay a shop to have those things done. Same thing for washing my rig, my truck, or my bike. Most parks will allow you to wash off the front cap of your rig upon arrival, but forget washing the whole thing... which means paying a truck wash to keep your rig clean.

6) And finally... Phone, Internet, and Satellite TV:

Ok, this is kind of an optional area. It's easy to do without any or all of 3 of these when you're just out for a few days and/or weeks... but it's something you're probably going to want if you're in your rig full-time.

The phone is essential. If you don't already have an unlimited plan, you may want to check around for rates on that with different carriers.

Internet is becoming more & more essential... and while most campgrounds advertise free WiFi, you'll find it's probably woefully inadequate for your needs. It's either only available in the clubhouse, or it's very unreliable. And even when you are able to log on, you may find that it's like tuning into a radio station with no music. It's so slow you'll be longing for the 'lightning fast' days of AOL dialup service.

That brings me back to the phone service. You may want to research prices for being able to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot for your computer... as most locations these days usually have decent cell service.

And then there's satellite TV service. Depending on how much TV you like to watch, whether you have favorite shows you dont want to miss, or whether you're a sports fanatic... you may want to research this.

Most campgrounds usually include some type of cable TV service at their full hookup sites... but this varies quite a bit from place to place. Some parks only give you the very basic channels (usually 7-10 channels), while others provide 35-40 channels. But even then, many of them are news channels, shopping channels, informercials, etc.

And I know you may be thinking... well, I'm going to be out enjoying nature, sightseeing, touring, etc. But also think about what happens on those days when it's raining all day for 2 or 3 days straight? What about after the sun goes down? Would you really not have a decent TV package in your sticks & bricks home?

Ok, that's about it. I'm sure there are many other factors & things that I didn't mention here. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well, August 1st marked the anniversary of my first year of full-timing. It's been great, and it's also been educational to say the least.
Awesome write up, thanks.

Good stuff from everybody...
Old 08-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #9

Florida
Nice write up Tom!

And you also need to include maintenance on your truck.... tires, oil etc.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #10

Ohio
I would suggest visiting Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!! and look at the financials section of the website. Howard and Linda have been full timers for over 10 years now. I have met them a couple of times when they spoke at local RV shows. Howard has posted very detailed spreadsheets of all their expenses.
-Jeff
Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #11

Tennessee
One question that popped up, how do you all wash and wax your campers while on the road?
I can see finding a truck wash every now and then, but how do you wax them? I would think you would need to do it at least twice a year to keep them up from all that sun exposure.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
One question that popped up, how do you all wash and wax your campers while on the road?
I can see finding a truck wash every now and then, but how do you wax them? I would think you would need to do it at least twice a year to keep them up from all that sun exposure.
For the past 3 years, I've had the mobile wash guys come out to my rig in Arizona to do it. (You'll find lots of them at the snow bird havens of AZ & FL)

Depending on what you want, they come out, bring their own deionized water, wash the entire rig, wax it, will seal your roofs, detail your tow vehicle, etc. If I remember correctly, it took a crew of 3 about 5 hours to wash & wax my rig & F-450 last year, and cost me $350
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #13

Maryland
I've had a campground authorized service wash my unit once.

Other times I have taken a bucket and brush out before a rain storm and washed it and let the rAin rinse it.

I am also a fan of 303...I pick a section each weekend and work my way around. Takes about four weekends, two hours early morning on a Saturday.

Cale

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #14

Illinois
Once a year I do it. 10' step ladder. Spread out over 4 days, including 303'ing the roof. In Florida (and at a lot of M/C rallies, I'll splurge. Company called Dazzling Detailing. $275. You're right. 2/3 times a year.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Blue Beacon...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #16

Washington
Full Time Olympia, WA

We pay between $350 and $550 a month some lots include electric, WIFI, trash, water and others do not. Right now we full time on a private lot $400 a month includes, water, trash, septic.
Rannypapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
I have some friends that seldom pay for sites. They go from work camp to work camp and in the winter he works for one of the big Amazon warehouses and their site costs are covered. They also spend time at relatives' places. We had a discussion about the costs of sites the last time we were together, they think anything over $350 a month is too much.

I have another acquaintance that travels in a pickup camper, he has been on the road for 7 years and seldom pays for a site. He boondocks a lot, and will stay in a campground maybe 3-4 times a year. I suspect his highest cost will either be fuel or food.

Aaron
Old 05-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #18

Florida
We’re considering full timing. There are a ton of things that come to mind immediately. Driver’s license, passport address, car registrations, mail, checking account, etc. did you sell your house... what then after that?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #19

Illinois
Maybe start part, full-time. 6 months at a crack. That's what we do now. I would go full time, wife not so sure.
Rusty
Old 05-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #20
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
We’re considering full timing. There are a ton of things that come to mind immediately. Driver’s license, passport address, car registrations, mail, checking account, etc. did you sell your house... what then after that?
I do all of my banking online, happen to use USAA. You can get a mailbox/forwarding service for everything else. Check very carefully for which state you want to use for residency. The Escapees has a pretty good handle on everything you need to know.

We aren't planning on completely cutting loose like most full timers. I foresee more like 6 weeks at a time, then home again.

Aaron