Recipes? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 AM   #1

North Carolina
Recipes?

Does anyone have any good camping recipes?

Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:00 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
Does anyone have any good camping recipes?
How do you like to cook? We do Hobo Dinners, (just about anything you want wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil an cooked on coals), chicken, beef, veggies, etc.

Dutch Oven cooking, which is a huge field unto itself. A few of our favorites in the DO are dump cobblers. Basically; line the DO with aluminum foil, dump in a big can of fruit of your choice, dump a couple of Jiffy Yellow cake mixes on top, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon, then cut up a half stick or so of butter in pats and put on top. Cook until done ~35-40 minutes.

Another odd favorite is Spam Bombs. Take a can of Spam, cut into 4 slices place each slice on a large square of aluminum foil, add a glob of apple pie filling and a glob of sauerkraut. Wrap the foil up and cook on the coals about 10 minutes on a side. I have also used cherry pie filling too. Sounds a bit weird, but the flavors really work well together. Then of course there are s'mores. If we have a largish group we will drag the 6 quart hand cranked ice cream freezer along to go with the fruit cobblers. Doesn't get much better than that.

Most of my camping trips involve cooking, eating and sleeping.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

Illinois
Whatever bread you like, slices of turkey, one slice of tomato, and a slice or two of provolone put into the pie irons for lunch...good and healthy!!! For a quick and lazy lunch... 2 brats and some sliced onions in a double pie iron or panini iron... we are from chicago...
Old 08-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

North Carolina
Sounds great! What DO does someone buy? Seen some with feet and some without. Where best prices?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Sounds great! What DO does someone buy? Seen some with feet and some without. Where best prices?
Get the ones with feet if you are cooking with charcoal, they are called camp ovens. I only buy the Lodge brand. I bought my last two from KaTom Restaurant Supply.

Now the next question... "what size do I need?" I carry an 8" and 10" most of the time. I also have a 12", 12" deep, 14" deep and I have a discontinued 16", it holds a whopping 16+ quarts. I just checked the Lodge site and they no longer show the 8" either. We like that size when cooking for two. You can use the larger 10" but the 8" works better for us.

Another source is yard sales and thrift stores. You may find other brands out there too. I like Lodge because they are still made in the USA and the quality is top notch. I have seen other offshore brands that cook just fine.

Aaron
Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin4u View Post
Whatever bread you like, slices of turkey, one slice of tomato, and a slice or two of provolone put into the pie irons for lunch...good and healthy!!! For a quick and lazy lunch... 2 brats and some sliced onions in a double pie iron or panini iron... we are from chicago...
Forgot about pie irons... that is a whole 'nother cooking discipline. One good thing about camping; get the fire going and start cooking. We use grill, LP stove, dutch oven and sticks over the camp fire. Never a shortage of food when I am camping!

Aaron
Old 08-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #7

Arizona
We do the pie irons filled with pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese....the kids always loved them!
2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I carry an 8" and 10" most of the time. I also have a 12", 12" deep, 14" deep and I have a discontinued 16", it holds a whopping 16+ quarts.
Aaron
And what is your max cargo weight on you Coleman??

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
And what is your max cargo weight on you Coleman??
Not enough...

We store them in the bathroom to offset the heavy tongue weight.

Aaron
Old 09-02-2015, 01:10 AM   #10

North Carolina
Totally agree about buying USA!!! Thanks. These suggestions help lots. We do have crock pot, and have considered using. I am not the best cook. I make it hard to cook, organize, and come up with camping recipes to use that I do not burn. Worry about cooking perfectly!!! LOL. Spam? Don't mean to put down spam,but I ate all the spam when going to school I care to eat again. Any other suggestions?

Where can a happy camper find DO recipes?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:20 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Totally agree about buying USA!!! Thanks. These suggestions help lots. We do have crock pot, and have considered using. I am not the best cook. I make it hard to cook, organize, and come up with camping recipes to use that I do not burn. Worry about cooking perfectly!!! LOL. Spam? Don't mean to put down spam,but I ate all the spam when going to school I care to eat again. Any other suggestions?

Where can a happy camper find DO recipes?
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Have at it and let us know how it turns out!

Aaron