Meet my little yummy friend - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

British Columbia
Meet my little yummy friend

Just thought I would share a little,
A couple of years ago, I was fishing with my brother in law in Terrace at what the locals call the Hog Line. The exact location was the mouth of the Kitsum Kalem river where it meets the Skeena river. The Skeena is a world renowned classified waters fishing location and this is why. It was the end of the day and this was the proverbial last cast. This little guy weighed in at 67 lbs and was 37 inches at the girth. When I started to get pictures I was holding him chest high, he got a little heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daryl65 (800x600).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	581  

grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #2

British Columbia
You got the catch of the day....I understand this year Fisheries are forecasting a poor salmon fishing season....no Salmon ..and will be closing the river down as well as the salmon season in the ocean.
There is a concern the Alaska fisherman will catch the fish before they get to the Skeena...

A great pic

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #3

British Columbia
You are correct in this statement, but only as far as the sockeye run goes. There probably won`t be a season for the commercial or recreational fishermen this year, only about 50% of the return needed to sustain the sockeye fishery has arrived through the counting stations. Other salmon fisheries are open and I will be fishing on the August long for another Spring like the one in the picture or possibly head to the ocean to hunt for some Halibut.
Also, in the unlikely event that anyone else from the forum is in the vicinity on the august long, the local car club is running the Hot August Nights drag races which is always a great time. Look for a blue 67 Chevelle with a huge 486 in it and come over and say Howdy. The car is`nt mine, I`m just part of the pit crew.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #4

Wyoming
Nice fish Daryl!
Good luck on your next trip!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Now that's a big fish !!! Hope you got a big BBQ

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Nice fish Grump 010. Were you using a fly rod, hardware or dynamite ? I've already told DW that I want one of those before God calls me home. Hopefully I can do it on a fly line as that's where my heart is these days.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

British Columbia
I was using spin and glow tackle, sockeye are great on fly. If you ever decide to head over to my area for some big game fishing, drop me a line and I try and help with honey hole knowledge and maybe even join you.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #8

Saskatchewan
Thank you Daryl for the offer. We are through your part of the country regularly as we travel from Regina to Maple Ridge (it’s a longer route that way but much easier on the nerves). I'll be hopefully seeing the doctors at the Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota soon and if they can do what they do best, I’ll be flogging the water again. That is one beautiful fish and bragging rights for a lifetime.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote