Let me stir the embers a bit - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Tennessee
Let me stir the embers a bit

The wife and I are at a nice state park right now. Not a cloud in the sky and it's a comfortable 80*. Our next door neighbor just started a smokey fire and it's blowing right under my awning, would you ask him to put it out?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Old 10-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

South Carolina
Tough Call. Hopefully the wind will shift. There are some who HAVE to have a fire, even if it's 80 degrees. Most campsites insist fires be in designated burn pits, so they have little choice as to where. Asking them to put it out will probably cause a row. Can you put a vehicle in between to block the air flow? Or can you run to WalMart for a cheap box fan, and blow it away? (Not right back at them, but off to one side)

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Tough Call. Hopefully the wind will shift. There are some who HAVE to have a fire, even if it's 80 degrees. Most campsites insist fires be in designated burn pits, so they have little choice as to where. Asking them to put it out will probably cause a row. Can you put a vehicle in between to block the air flow? Or can you run to WalMart for a cheap box fan, and blow it away? (Not right back at them, but off to one side)
Thanks! Already got the box fan and it's working fairly well. I never have understood the whole campfire no matter what idea. I get it if it's cold or nighttime or cooking but not when it's daylight and there's sweat already running down my back. [emoji5]

Old 10-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

Wyoming
Yeah, I agree, tough call...

Question: Are you also outside, under your awning and getting 'smoked out'... or are you simply concerned about residue left on the underside of the awning itself?

If the former, I might walk over kinda half-smiling/laughing & half-coughing, and say kinda jokingly.. "Wow, that wind is killing me, and you guys are smoking me out! Had to walk over here for some fresh air." Maybe they'd get the hint... maybe not.

If the latter, I'd let it go. You're at a campground, campers have fires. part of the price of camping.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Tennessee
Was definitely an eyes burning under the awning event till I got the fan out.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post
I never have understood the whole campfire no matter what idea. I get it if it's cold or nighttime or cooking but not when it's daylight and there's sweat already running down my back. [emoji5]
DW says it isn't real camping unless we have a fire.

We almost always cook breakfast and dinner over the fire.
ricks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #7

Tennessee
If you're cooking it makes sense. The ones that get me let them smolder all day long.

Bet you guys think I'm the biggest whiner ever was. Between my Coleman complaints and now smoldering campfires.
I was raised to do people right (honor your warranty Dutchmen) and not bother anybody unnecessarily and I expect the same [emoji846]

Old 10-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #8

Oregon
I think if he has the fire in a designated fire pit and it not burning garbage I don't think there is anything you can do about it. You could say something to that guy then the guy on the other side cranks up a fire or the guy behind you. There's just no control on where the smoke goes.

I use a Propane fire pit. Nice and clean and don't have to pay $10 for 6 pieces of wood...
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
We see it all the time at the local state park. I usually cook on charcoal, then have a campfire at the end of the day if it is cool enough. As long as they aren't burning trash or having an unsafe fire you basically have to deal with it. FWIW we usually stay at one or two specific sites at our local state park for just this reason. They are chosen because of where they are located to keep us away from the excess smoke.

I too don't understand the mentality of having to have a campfire going 24/7 regardless of the outside temperature or weather conditions. But that is the way some people are.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

I too don't understand the mentality of having to have a campfire going 24/7 regardless of the outside temperature or weather conditions. But that is the way some people are.

Aaron
How else can you have smores 24/7 like my crew demands?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
How else can you have smores 24/7 like my crew demands?
Microwave?[emoji849]

Aaron [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

Florida
What's next, boiled hot dogs?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
What's next, boiled hot dogs?

Aaron
Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Tennessee
I'm not anti-fire, I'm anti-smoke up the whole campground. Seen it way too many times. They aren't cooking or heating anything but they gotta light that fire 10' from where I'm trying to relax and smell the forest and good percentage of them just leave. I once saw a guy cut down a living tree at Roan Mtn State Park and burn it over a summer weekend. The hosts went by while he was in the tree with a hatchet and did nothing. They might have been afraid to. [emoji50]

Old 10-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #15

Texas
We see campers gathering wood and cutting down trees or limbs all the time where we are hosting. I make it a habit to call the office every time too. Have them on speed dial as a matter of fact. Maybe to answer your question WHY A FIRE ALL THE TIME, I have heard it here from campers, that the main reason they keep burning all day is they don't want to load up any fire wood they unloaded for the weekend. Hence, burn baby burn.

I do appreciate those that don't burn it all, because at the end of every weekend we gather the leftovers and now have a nice double stack for the winter. Oh the benefits of park hosting!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #16

Texas
I'm the fan guy. I love fans. Got all kinds, shapes, sizes.
With the acquisition recently of the tiny toy hauler, my ability to haul a few more with me is effortless.

It's like controlling the wind!!! And to some degree, the temperature.

With the right fan(s) deployed strategically, I'm betting you can almost guarantee a smoke free front porch.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I'm the fan guy. I love fans. Got all kinds, shapes, sizes.
With the acquisition recently of the tiny toy hauler, my ability to haul a few more with me is effortless.

It's like controlling the wind!!! And to some degree, the temperature.

With the right fan(s) deployed strategically, I'm betting you can almost guarantee a smoke free front porch.
I'm a fan guy too and keep a couple in the TT all the time. The box fan definitely helped and the smoker was a nice older guy and his misses. I honestly think most people don't realize what they are doing but I can't help wonder how many of them hate cigarette smoke and I really don't see a difference. If you are smoking up someone's personal space does it really matter if it's wood or tobacco smoke?
For the record I don't smoke anything.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post
For the record I don't smoke anything.
Ahhhhh. There could be an issue.

So they tell me. Just kidding.
My kids think I'm some freak from the past that never got in trouble or ever did anything wrong. (Or illegal) Nothing I say would convince them otherwise.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #19

Tennessee
I've never smoked any wackie tobacckie either but I did once have a problem with a certain brown liquid from Lynchburg, TN. But none of that now. Coke with cane sugar is about as hard core as I get. [emoji41]

Old 10-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #20

Tennessee
I'm on a 5 day trip and have listened to the neighbors stupid little rat dogs bark NON stop for the last 3 days. Every time someone walks by or has another dog with them they go off for at least 15 minutes nonstop. Owners just sitting there oblivious the ruckus. I'm going to start pouring water on my fire just to make it smoke. Hopefully it will choke the little rats.

I'd gladly take a little smoke over misbehaved kids or pets.