Laugh at or with me, first time out - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Ontario
Laugh at or with me, first time out

Just back from our maiden voyage. Great time, such glitches but mostly a great experience. Went to a provincial park fairly close to where we live, hadn't been there so of course I got lost in the campground trying to find our site.

After driving in circles and seeing the same other campers again and again, I figured I better turn around. I found a double camping site that I figured had enough room to turn, about half way in I went oh ****. There was a huge tree that was growing at a 45 degree angle that made getting through difficult. I made at least 10 (probably 20) front and back corrections but finally got through with about an inch to spare of taking out my awning.

Of course this type of thing seems to encourage large crowds to gather and just watch, which increases the sweat level for sure. Screw em', got out and away I went.

Finally found my site and took a few tries to back in. This brought my neighbour over to "help". He stood in front of my truck at one side telling me to "turn and keep backing up". Dude, there's a post on this side and if I keep going it won't be good.

Finally got in nicely and set up without incident, just a couple of brush scratches. Sat down and downed 3 beers in record time. I think I'm going to like this camping thing!

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #2

California
Welcome the "club" we have all been there done that.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:48 AM   #3

Arizona
We had to have help backing into our storage space once. Most neighbors are always willing to lend a hand, or get a good laugh watching. Welcome to the club.

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #4

Illinois
You did better than most of us on our first try.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #5

Texas
Love your attitude.

I'll let ya be my wingman anytime!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #6

Colorado
You did better than me, our first outing I clipped one of those cement posts that protect the gas pump! Our camper was about 4 hours old! Minor damage thankfully. Anyway, 3 years later and no other incidents thankfully. Now I can confidently stuff my 27' trailer in any spot I want. People can watch away As others said, generally everyone watching is more than willing to help and very friendly.
Welcome to the group.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

Michigan
Give it time. The day we brought ours home, I had a helluva time getting it in the driveway. Got to the point where I was about to take it to the school down the road and leave it there for it's first night, but I eventually got it down. Fast forward 2 seasons. We went to a local state park earlier this year and I put it in a site between two trees and a fire ring. After setting up, an older guy from a few sites down strolled by and said "you really made the rest of us look like $hit!"

You'll get there!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

Washington
Lol for sure I will be getting mines soon so I know what to expect and even though I drove long truck for the Army there might be times that I will find myself in a tight spot, thanks for sharing.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

California
Welcome yea we've all been there. If you haven't seen it get "RV" with Robin Williams. None RVer wouldn't enjoy it as much as us that "have been there done that".
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Welcome yea we've all been there. If you haven't seen it get "RV" with Robin Williams. None RVer wouldn't enjoy it as much as us that "have been there done that".
But try to avoid the "poop geyser".
Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Ontario
Thanks everyone for helping me think I'm not the only one to have some issues. I saw that RV movie for the first time about a month ago, I'll watch it again once I have some experience and can truly laugh and not be terrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
But try to avoid the "poop geyser".
Funny you mention this, I was terrified about emptying the tanks for the first time. My wife even came out to "help"; let's face it, she came out to laugh, she knows me well enough to know when there could be something about to happen that she can lord over me forever.

But the process was painless, it went quickly, smoothly and cleanly. "hmm, that was the easiest part of the whole trip" she said.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Ontario
We're heading out again next week, this time we're going to 3 different sites spanning approximately 1800 kms. I'm pretty sure I'll have more rookie tales to share at my expense. Better load up the cooler.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #13

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Check out "The Long, Long Trailer" as well. Old 50's Lucy and Desi movie. Watched it, for the first time, last night after we got back from our annual group camp/rv trip. Vintage comedic genius........
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:29 AM   #14

British Columbia
Don,

I thought I was going to hear a disaster story when I saw title. I thought you had something serious happen.

I have to admit I did laugh, but not at you, at myself.

I have perfected the art of leaning the camper up against a tree and laughing about it. We were in a campergound just outside of Halifax. The operator told me that I shouldn't use the water at the camp site, it seems their well water had tested over the recommended daily dose of arsnic. They had a clean source at the utility shack, so we used our fresh water and I stopped to refil the next morning.

Tank is filled, got in the truck, looked in the mirrors, looked at the exit sign saying go right, no problem, from my eyes, to my brain, to my hands, I promptly turned left, what's that scrunching sound. Stop, get out of truck, walked back to camper, look up, scare light, cable/phone hook-up and about a foot of gutter, that's what that scrunching sound was. Where I stopped, about six inches into the livingroom slide.

Gutter $150, scarelight lens $15, cable/phone receptacle $20, clean sap and buff scratches on slide $elbow grease. Being able to laugh about it priceless, considering it wasn't my first rodeo.

Like I always told my trainees, "it ain't funny, unless it happens to someone else." Or enough time has past and you can say it was some guy. Opps, I guess that I can't do that anymore.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
Check out "The Long, Long Trailer" as well. Old 50's Lucy and Desi movie. Watched it, for the first time, last night after we got back from our annual group camp/rv trip. Vintage comedic genius........
I love the backing into the driveway scene, the perfect how not to do it tutorial.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #16

Florida
It has happened to all of us, but for some things turned ugly, I once saw a fellow camper (using the term loosely) back into the pedestal
then complained that it was that way on arrival and the CG should fix it so he could hook up., I have also observed people taking off with the electric /and or water hose still connected. It gets better as we
get experience. Happy Camping
Old 08-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #17

Tennessee
So glad I drove truck for a time before buying a camper, I look for the the smallest site possible.