Beer vs Whisky - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > Around the Campfire - The Art of Camping Well
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #41

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Ya know, back in 1993 we went to Milwaukee for the Harley-Davidson 90th birthday bash. It was fabulous.

One tour was the Miller brewery. With the tour we each got two tickets for a beer in the "beer garden"...it was drawn right off the Miller High Life line. Ice cold. Probably the best two beers I've ever had!!

Pirate
I was there as well. Had a pretty good time, also. I remember seeing quite a few Milwaukee cops riding wheelies on their Harley's. I still own and ride the 79 Electraglide I rode there.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #42

Colorado
wino,

That would be a shovelhead Electra-Glide wouldn't it. How far things have come.

My first was a 1983 Super Glide. Last year shovel, five speed belt drive.

Traded that for a 1984 Evo Softail, four speed chain drive. But the new Evo motor, the new frame...great bike. Stroked it to 89 inches with an S&S kit. Got bent in half by a county dump truck coming out of an unapproved alley to get to McDonalds for lunch.

1987 Statue of Liberty Electra-Glide. Sold it after the wreck above. But still have a lot of Statue of Liberty collectables I need to move one of these days.

Then a 1991 Fatboy that I rode at that celebration. 106 in Evo. 107hp 111 ft-lbs

Later a 2000 Electra-Glide classic twin cam. Turned that into a 116 in motor. 117hp 127 ft-lbs. Could raise the front wheel a couple of inches just with the throttle through third gear.

Lastly a 2008 Ultra-Classic. What a bike had the 100 in kit put in, heated hand grips, compression releases, but I gotta admit...I really did like the cruise control and anti-lock brakes. Didn't have 1000 miles on it, coming down Loveland Pass and an idiot with a cargo trailer pulled into traffic right in front of us...a car to our left. So I grabbed all the brakes....and she simply slowed quickly in a nice straight line! Whew...I never laughed at Harley's anti-lock brakes afterwards. This Sunglow Red bike got totaled when we got hit from behind in May 2008.

Those were the days!!!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 AM   #43

South Carolina
Recently found a new whisky, Cutty Sark Prohibition Edition. Good taste and I am hooked on the black bottle for some reason...
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #44

Illinois
Pirate, I think with all those close calls, it was a good idea to call it quits. Your buddies must have kept a safe distance from you when you rode (LOL). Seriously though, someone was looking after you. Glad you "survived". Like anyone who rides, I've had my share of close calls, drops, and things, but not like yours. Hopefully your four-wheel career has been less eventful.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #45

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Pass that recipe on. Love apple pie shots.
Rusty

I believe this is the recipe she uses.... Enjoy!
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #46

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I believe this is the recipe she uses.... Enjoy!
Yikes, that's dangerous. The best part of that recipe is BOOYAH!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #47
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
That's why we use the Jack Rudy tonic, you only need 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce per drink.
Hendricks is the best imo, but expensive. Beefeater is a close second for me. That tonic is expensive, but you can get a lot of drinks out of it if you don't go overboard.
Picked up two bottles of Jack Rudy today... I am golden. Now to get my butt home so I can mix one up.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #48

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Picked up two bottles of Jack Rudy today... I am golden. Now to get my butt home so I can mix one up.

Aaron
Don't forget those limes! Mix the first one like it says on the bottle, then adjust from there. And don't forget to use SODA water. We had some friends use the Jack Rudy and tonic water, they were complaining how sweet they were.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #49
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Don't forget those limes! Mix the first one like it says on the bottle, then adjust from there. And don't forget to use SODA water. We had some friends use the Jack Rudy and tonic water, they were complaining how sweet they were.
I am still working through my bag of limes from Mexico that came with my Padrino Tequila and Controy.

I actually own a soda siphon (syphon). The well water I have has a sweet taste to it and makes an awesome club soda. I also happen to have a fair amount of Polar Lime Seltzer on hand. Been using it for a while for a lighter version of the G&T, I have been splitting it half and half with regular tonic water, which is about to disappear from my menu.

Aaron
Old 08-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #50

Tennessee
You sir, sound like a fine bar tender. I've been homebrewing for 7 years and just recently started carbonating spring water in a keg for the wife. It surprisingly tastes close to Perrier, which is her fav. i'm not big on straight soda water.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #51

Tennessee
Drinking a Cadillac margarita right now, good lord these are good. Can't stand a sour mix margarita...

Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #52
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Drinking a Cadillac margarita right now, good lord these are good. Can't stand a sour mix margarita...

My 'ritas are as pure as they can get. Reposado tequila, Orange Liqueur and lime juice, no more, no less. Salt optional. I was a bartender back in my misspent youth. My tips paid for a whole lot of toys back in the day. I love old school stuff and the Gin and Tonics are the newest thing in my arsenal. I learned to make margaritas from a fellow in Cozumel. He is on one of the back streets off the main square where very few tourists go, $4 the last time I was there and he makes every one by hand, including squeezing the limes. Freaking Awesome! Some things cannot be improved on. Until I did the research I never realized that tonic water was the abomination that it is. I shall sin no more!

Aaron
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #53

Tennessee
Quote:
My 'ritas are as pure as they can get. Reposado tequila, Orange Liqueur and lime juice, no more, no less. Salt optional. I was a bartender back in my misspent youth. My tips paid for a whole lot of toys back in the day. I love old school stuff and the Gin and Tonics are the newest thing in my arsenal. I learned to make margaritas from a fellow in Cozumel. He is on one of the back streets off the main square where very few tourists go, $4 the last time I was there and he makes every one by hand, including squeezing the limes. Freaking Awesome! Some things cannot be improved on. Until I did the research I never realized that tonic water was the abomination that it is. I shall sin no more!

Aaron
Nice. These are 1800, Grand Marnier and lime juice. We just bought a lime squeezer thing, but it's a lotta work, the pulp in the drink is kinda nice. You'd be surprised how many bartenders don't know the difference between club soda and tonic water.
Of course I didn't know either, until recently. Live and learn.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:55 AM   #54

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Pirate, I think with all those close calls, it was a good idea to call it quits. Your buddies must have kept a safe distance from you when you rode (LOL). Seriously though, someone was looking after you. Glad you "survived". Like anyone who rides, I've had my share of close calls, drops, and things, but not like yours. Hopefully your four-wheel career has been less eventful.
Rusty
I've been riding Harley's my entire adult life, and one thing I can say is "never ride faster than you're guardian angel can fly". Knock on wood, I've never been down hard. In my youth, I did some pretty stupid stuff on two wheels. Glad I lived to talk about it.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #55

Missouri
Quote:
That's why we use the Jack Rudy tonic, you only need 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce per drink.

Hendricks is the best imo, but expensive. Beefeater is a close second for me. That tonic is expensive, but you can get a lot of drinks out of it if you don't go overboard.
I just went 4 stores looking for some good tonic, with no success. You guys sure made it sound worth a try, but I had to settle for the regular schweps

Where would I find what your talking about?

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #56
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
I just went 4 stores looking for some good tonic, with no success. You guys sure made it sound worth a try, but I had to settle for the regular schweps

Where would I find what your talking about?
Jack Ruby Cocktail Company they will be more than happy to ship it to you. They also have a place on their website where you can look for retail location.

I have been buying it from liquor store in Summerville, NC

Aaron
Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 AM   #57

Texas
I feel like an alcoholic that just fell off the wagon...
Yeah it starts with just one like an NC / SC draft.
Then tonight I'll be slammin' Horned Frog shots,
and make it an all-nighter with a Wildcat hi ball.
Friday will be a Bear and kinda Spartan... But I'm sure
tailgating the Tech game Saturday will be Open Bar
and an all out binge when they start servin' the good stuff.
Come Sunday I know I'll have one heck of a hangover...
but that's what the NFL is for!!! Monday I should probably
attend the local NCAA meeting... but what's gonna happen
on Monday Night when all my rowdy friends come over???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #58

Missouri
Quote:
Jack Ruby Cocktail Company they will be more than happy to ship it to you. They also have a place on their website where you can look for retail location.

I have been buying it from liquor store in Summerville, NC

Aaron
Thanks!! No retailers in Missouri, so I will order some and try next time.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #59
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Thanks!! No retailers in Missouri, so I will order some and try next time.
You are missing the point... ROAD TRIP!!! Come on over to VA, there are now several distilleries in the area. One is called Silver Back make a decent gin and vodka. They are in the Virginia mountains not to far from the Shenandoah valley. Beautiful place to visit. Over in NC in the mountains you have Defiant Single malt. Good stuff to be had out here.

Aaron
Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #60

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
A nice whiskey that I drink up here in the Great White North is from a small distillery just outside Niagara Falls Ontario is Forty Creeks Barrel Select. Aged 12 yrs, very smooth. Easy drinking.
I agree! I am a beer guy ( Alexander keiths) but like the 40 creek!

walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote