Recommendations on new tires for a 3 axle toyhauler - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Boondocking - Dry Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Gus and Spicy, I have 3 axel Toyhauler also and planning to go to Alaska next year, I am going with carlisle tires, I know Bill and he Travels a lot of miles per year, but since your going this year, could you let me know how your trip goes….I heard that the roads are always getting repaired? The road in the lower 50 have been getting BAD everywhere, so maybe it won't be to hard on our RV?

Rich
Rich

The roads in Alaska are not as bad as they were bach when I lived in the North. The one thing you need to watch for are the frost heaves, they are fairly well maked and most of them are not much worse than some of the roads I driven in the lower 48.

Check your suspension before you go, I did manage to bust a set of shackles, thankfully we were almost home when it let go.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #22

Nevada
hddecker, Thanks Jim, I remember you had some suspension trouble, I guess I will just try and take it easy, If I can?

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #23

Alberta
Own a 2014 3305 and just last month after a lot of reading I had Sailun s637 installed. Mine being a dual axle have more weight on each tire. The junk Akuret that came stock were pulled after one tow ( I bought slightly used).
I was 14 400 gross last week with the kids dirtbikes and 60 gallons of water and regular loaded contents. Aired pressure was 92 psi as I was way under the 16.5 gross on hauler and did not feel I need 110 psi.

120 kilometer round trip in rolling hills of SW Alberta and 12.5 mpg on the lieometer when I got home! Very impressed!
These tires weigh 60 pounds each! Steel carcass with 5 ribs.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Own a 2014 3305 and just last month after a lot of reading I had Sailun s637 installed. Mine being a dual axle have more weight on each tire. The junk Akuret that came stock were pulled after one tow ( I bought slightly used).
I was 14 400 gross last week with the kids dirtbikes and 60 gallons of water and regular loaded contents. Aired pressure was 92 psi as I was way under the 16.5 gross on hauler and did not feel I need 110 psi.

120 kilometer round trip in rolling hills of SW Alberta and 12.5 mpg on the lieometer when I got home! Very impressed!
These tires weigh 60 pounds each! Steel carcass with 5 ribs.
Walker,

What size and load range are you running. If you don't mind my asking how much did it lighten your wallet.

Sounds like a similar tire that Gladiator makes, all steel constuction and about the same weight. I had good performace from the first set of Gladiators and was tempted to go with the all steel QR35s.

If your rigs tires were sized with the same formula Dutchmen used to size the tires on our TT, you must have been right up at the maximum capacity of the OEM tires.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #25

Nevada
Walker, Great to hear, I just put 1,781 miles on my new Sailum S637's, I have 3 Axles and they rode great, No side wall trouble, and yes they were a bear to put on the trailer, 14ply, and Big O tire put all 6 with Balance for just over $1,500.
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #26

Utah
Hello all, so I decided to take the plug and put 17.5 rims on with sampson J rated tires at 6000 pounds per tire. I have a V3305 with dual axles, I have driven it approx 1,000 mile so far and they look like they did when I picked them up new. Cost me 1540 for a set of 4.
Helidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 PM   #27

Nevada

Just turned 15,000 miles. Time for another rotation.

Carlisle F rated ST 235 16's

Thinking I have a bunch more miles to go. Perhaps China has been listening to the complaints!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
2014 V3005 Voltage Toy Hauler
2012 Dodge Ram 2500. Firestone Bags. 1 ton+ leaf spring pack basically stock
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerloco View Post

Just turned 15,000 miles. Time for another rotation.

Carlisle F rated ST 235 16's

Thinking I have a bunch more miles to go. Perhaps China has been listening to the complaints!!

I would say you might get another mile or two out of them.

Did your rig have 12 ply tires or did you upgrade to the 12 ply?

I feel a lot better knowing that I now have a 4000# buffer between the GVRW, over the 600# buffer that Dutchmen felt was sufficient.

I was looking forward to getting to 50k miles on my 14 ply tires. Now that I have the suspension upgraded and my new tires ready to install, I'll try again.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #29

Nevada
Upgraded from oem 10ply Westlakes. Got 18,000 miles out of those without rotating. As mentioned by others these 12 ply tires have much hardier side walls and immediately improved handling. My tandem axle trailer is normally in the range 14,500 + gross. If I get in the thirty thousand mile range I'll be doing a jig.
I am a strong believer in tire rotation!!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
Upgraded from oem 10ply Westlakes. Got 18,000 miles out of those without rotating. As mentioned by others these 12 ply tires have much hardier side walls and immediately improved handling. My tandem axle trailer is normally in the range 14,500 + gross. If I get in the thirty thousand mile range I'll be doing a jig.
I am a strong believer in tire rotation!!

No doubt in my mind that rotation extends tire life.

Saw on of those new little click bait things today that was talking about tire rotation on trailers.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #31

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Walker,

What size and load range are you running. If you don't mind my asking how much did it lighten your wallet.

Sounds like a similar tire that Gladiator makes, all steel constuction and about the same weight. I had good performace from the first set of Gladiators and was tempted to go with the all steel QR35s.

If your rigs tires were sized with the same formula Dutchmen used to size the tires on our TT, you must have been right up at the maximum capacity of the OEM tires.
Sorry for late reply. Root canal today,!!!!!!!

The Sailun I have are 235/80R16 in load G. 4080 lbs rating and 14 ply. 61 lbs
$941.00 installed at Kal Tire and they took the junk off. $197.00 tire.
Very fair IMO.
Had a hard time locating in Canada but give Kal a try.
The stock junk was load E and around 3600 lbs rating.
My axles are 7000 rated.
Locally when searching one dealer did reply with the Gladiator but went with Sailun as they are basically LT rated but not on paper.
Let me know if you need more info.
Go Sailun!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
Sorry for late reply. Root canal today,!!!!!!!

The Sailun I have are 235/80R16 in load G. 4080 lbs rating and 14 ply. 61 lbs
$941.00 installed at Kal Tire and they took the junk off. $197.00 tire.
Very fair IMO.
Had a hard time locating in Canada but give Kal a try.
The stock junk was load E and around 3600 lbs rating.
My axles are 7000 rated.
Locally when searching one dealer did reply with the Gladiator but went with Sailun as they are basically LT rated but not on paper.
Let me know if you need more info.
Go Sailun!!!!!!
Root canal, what a grind. I've been there, I had a root canal about 9 years ago. Middle of December last year, the sucker snapped of at the gum line. That sure lightened the wallett.

I was just wondering what the Sailuns were costing in Canada, I checked the specs and the two tires are about equal on the specs. If Gladiator ever lets me down, I'm check out the Sailuns. I got 25k miles out of my first set, before the busted shackle ate the rear axle tires.
I don't know exactly how long the shackle was broken, but my last fuel stop before home was 250 miles and everything was fine.

I doubt that I'll never have another suspension problem, I replaced it all with over built parts.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #33

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Root canal, what a grind. I've been there, I had a root canal about 9 years ago. Middle of December last year, the sucker snapped of at the gum line. That sure lightened the wallett.

I was just wondering what the Sailuns were costing in Canada, I checked the specs and the two tires are about equal on the specs. If Gladiator ever lets me down, I'm check out the Sailuns. I got 25k miles out of my first set, before the busted shackle ate the rear axle tires.
I don't know exactly how long the shackle was broken, but my last fuel stop before home was 250 miles and everything was fine.

I doubt that I'll never have another suspension problem, I replaced it all with over built parts.
Seems you did well with gladiator. Looks like there are a few ST tires that are still good with heavy toyhaulers. I was looking LT at first but they are pricy but safety is big.
The sailun for 197 CDN is very good.

Going to have a few ales later to give the dental work a try with cold contents!!!
cheers
Old 04-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #34

British Columbia
Quote:
Seems you did well with gladiator. Looks like there are a few ST tires that are still good with heavy toyhaulers. I was looking LT at first but they are pricy but safety is big.
The sailun for 197 CDN is very good.

Going to have a few ales later to give the dental work a try with cold contents!!!
cheers
Yes, they did much better than I had expected, in part because I went up one aspect ratio and two Load Range. But you can also feel the difference in the sidewall construction, the rubber compound and the weight.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #35

Nevada
From comments above it appears that gladiator has improved their quality as well. I bought one set of gladiators and for the next 3 years les schwabb had to adjust every tire as they would separate.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
From comments above it appears that gladiator has improved their quality as well. I bought one set of gladiators and for the next 3 years les schwabb had to adjust every tire as they would separate.

Bill,

I can only speak to my experience. When I had to replace my tires on a trip, I was shown 2 brands (can't remeber the second one) but when you put the 2 side by side the Gladiator was what I expected an ST tire to feel like. Very stiff sidewall and a hard rubber compound.

When I asked if they had anything in a higher LR, they brought out the 14 ply and I believe that is the biggest factor in the service life.

No doubt the OEM tires fit the need when you use the formula to calculate the load on the tires. The OEM tires gave me a fudge factor under 1000#, the upsized tires give a 4000# margin for error. Like the saying goes, "figures don't lie, but liars figure". I now have a tire sized well beyond the GVWR, without subtracting the tongue weight to make them fit.

It doesn't matter what brand, they all have failures for one reason or another at some time. When I had the Airstream, the Goodyear Marathons were blowing in numbers and there was a lot of POd Airstream owners with ripped up wheel wells.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #37

Nevada
Isn't that the truth. Goodyear marathons were probably the worst I ever had.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #38
Site Team

North Carolina
One thing people forget too is that tires lose carrying capacity as they age. If you have a brand new tire and it is very close to it's capacity, by the time it needs to be replaced due to wear or age it is probably overloaded.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #39

Ohio
Change tires

If you are considering changing tires then it is very important that your new tires have equal or greater load capacity than your OE tires.

It would also be a good thing to confirm you are not overloading any of your current tires. There is significant data that shows that a majority of RVs have one or more tires in overload.
This can be due to just being low on inflation or because of significant imbalance side to side or between axles as only a very very small % of trailers have the load evenly distributed across all tires.
Overload may also be due to just having too much "stuff" in the trailer.

Switching from ST type to LT type may be possible BUT there is a bit of work that must be done as there are almost no LT tires with the same dimensions as the ST but with sufficient load capacity.
Going from LR-C to LR-E may provide the capacity but the LR-C wheels would not be rated for the load & inflation found on the LR-E tires.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #40

Florida
Tires

I just got 2 new hercules made in China ST tires on my rig and they did not even balance them. The tire shop said you do not have to. I have over 2000 miles on them now and they look good. I do not see any strange tread wear. I try to keep the cost down when it comes to my travel trailer. Why spend extra money if you don't have to? I check the pressure before we travel 50 PSI. I do not overload my rig and I do not go over 65 MPH.

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, toy hauler