Noisy and chilly - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Boondocking - Dry Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Arizona
Noisy and chilly

We have been dry camping at a local Country Music Festival for a few nights. We recently upgraded to the 3153ml. the trailer includes a wardrobe slide. Is it normal to lay in bed and feel like your in a tent? Voices, loud camps and music just blare through the walls. The way the trailer was described to us when we bought it is that it's got the most insulation of a trailer in its class. Lots of insulation in the floor the walls and the cap in the front. If this was true why does it feel like there's no barrier between us and everybody else outside? Our old trailer was not this loud.

In addition to the loud noise does it feel like your trailer is extra cold in the morning?

We do love this trailer it's just odd little things up or figuring out on our second trip

Thanks

Rick

Orrick541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

Florida
You believed what a salesman said?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

Minnesota
Sounds like the same salesman that told me my Frig operated on any of three powers... 120 vac, 12 vdc via and internal inverter, AND LP gas. RV salespeople are not any different than most used car salespeople, some good and some not so good. I'm sorry it is so loud though; ours seems quiet enough, but it is smaller, only 22.7 ft, with one little slide for the living/dining/spare bedroom couch.

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

South Carolina
Might have something to do with the fact that you are at a "Country Music Festival" I am a fan, so not busting on you.

Hard to gauge, but we parked in Walmart one time and a reefer parked right next to us. Ran the refrigeration unit all night. OUCH, think he was trying to teach us a lesson.

I woke up and was wondering why our heater was so loud! Looked outside and said Nite A**hole. Was not that bad actually.

Good luck!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Might have something to do with the fact that you are at a "Country Music Festival" I am a fan, so not busting on you.

Hard to gauge, but we parked in Walmart one time and a reefer parked right next to us. Ran the refrigeration unit all night. OUCH, think he was trying to teach us a lesson.

I woke up and was wondering why our heater was so loud! Looked outside and said Nite A**hole. Was not that bad actually.

Good luck!
Hi ArmyVeteran,
I recently read an article about parking in "Free" areas/lots to sleep along the highways and the writer commented about how much the big rig driver hate RV'ers. He said he had his trailer sideswiped in a parking lot and told of others that had similar happenings, including their slide destroyed by a Semi pulling out of a lot. I've never had anything really bad happen to me, but over the last several years, I've been able to plan well enough to call ahead and make reservations in an RV park. Some have been pretty nice and we even ended up taking a couple days to rest up, do a load of cloths, get a few groceries, and just relax. AARP, AAA, Good Sam memberships are often accepted and once a park accepted Good Sam AND AARP for almost 35% discount.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Wisconsin
I think that post was referring to RV'ers parking in truck stop parking places. The truckers have much more limited access to those spots and so resent RV'ers in those spaces. Also the space between trucks at truck stops is much smaller than in other RV options. Bumping out a slide makes it vulnerable to accidental clips by maneuvering trucks.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

South Carolina
I always park out of the way at Walmart and such. I am considerate to one and all. In that case we had actually parked between two median strips that no 18 wheeler could fit in. I don't get angry. I deal, as appropriate.

I am aware of the general animosity against "4 wheelers", And that is a shame. Truck drivers were know to be the saints of the road and helped people in distress. Not so much anymore.

The last time I tried to listen to CB radio. Over 25 years ago. The airwaves were full of cursing and worse and the "4 wheelers" were the scourge according to truckers.

As always, there are exceptions.

Have fun!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I think that post was referring to RV'ers parking in truck stop parking places. The truckers have much more limited access to those spots and so resent RV'ers in those spaces. Also the space between trucks at truck stops is much smaller than in other RV options. Bumping out a slide makes it vulnerable to accidental clips by maneuvering trucks.
You are correct and due to these reasons, I finally realized that I'm and old retired f@&t and in no big hurry! Thinking that made me slow down, enjoy the ride and park in comfort when I get tired. The RV parks have their share if issues too, but overall I feel better in a Park.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #9

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I always park out of the way at Walmart and such. I am considerate to one and all. In that case we had actually parked between two median strips that no 18 wheeler could fit in. I don't get angry. I deal, as appropriate.

I am aware of the general animosity against "4 wheelers", And that is a shame. Truck drivers were know to be the saints of the road and helped people in distress. Not so much anymore.

The last time I tried to listen to CB radio. Over 25 years ago. The airwaves were full of cursing and worse and the "4 wheelers" were the scourge according to truckers.

As always, there are exceptions.

Have fun!
You are right there, CB's became way too crowded and noisy by the 70's; I used one until the late 70's and took it out of the truck. I went Ham, but even that gets little use. I also have used Wally's parking lot and try to park away from the trucks. I remember when the 18 wheelers were, as you say, the saints of the road. I also believe that the four wheelers brought the dislike on themselves... many do not drive with respect to anyone, pass on the right when a truck wants to get over, you know what I mean.
By the way, I was not condemning the truck drivers, just relating what I read. The trucker's cost of operation is going up, space to park is less and 4 wheelers can become a night parking competitor that should leave truck parking spaces for the trucks.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
You are right there, CB's became way too crowded and noisy by the 70's; I used one until the late 70's and took it out of the truck. I went Ham, but even that gets little use. I also have used Wally's parking lot and try to park away from the trucks. I remember when the 18 wheelers were, as you say, the saints of the road. I also believe that the four wheelers brought the dislike on themselves... many do not drive with respect to anyone, pass on the right when a truck wants to get over, you know what I mean.
By the way, I was not condemning the truck drivers, just relating what I read. The trucker's cost of operation is going up, space to park is less and 4 wheelers can become a night parking competitor that should leave truck parking spaces for the trucks.
Do you open your RV up when you spend the night at wally world? Can you run a small generator?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Do you open your RV up when you spend the night at wally world? Can you run a small generator?

I try to park along the edge of the parking lots. Again, not to compete with the trucks. Then, I can open the slide that is not out in traffic. I don't have a generator, but with the trucks engines and reefers running all nite. Would not be a problem.

As to staying at RV parks and campgrounds, en route. Some of us are not as well to do, being retired old folks. not complaining, just explaining.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #12

Minnesota
Quote:
I don't know about the generators, I typically don't use one, I carry one, but seldom run it; I occasionally hear one running. As far as "opening the RV up", I open a few windows in warm weather and run the vent fan, if needed, Wally does not want people to set up camp and frown on opening the awning, lighting the BBQ, setting out chairs, etc., so we use it to rest, sleep, use their facilities, pick-up any needed supplies, and then move on.
When we park there, it's usually because it's late or we are too tired to go on and just meed a break and a few hours sleep.

I do not rest well at Wally and still prefer an RV Park... I don't know if they are safer or better, but I sleep better and can usually dump the tanks if needed, plug in to shore power, cable TV (if I want), and even stay over another night if I want to look around.

I met some folks on the FunFinder Forum a couple years ago that managed a small RV Park in Iowa. They invited us to stop over the next time through their neck of the woods, but our plans changed that year and we never made the stop.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #13

Minnesota
Quote:
We're old retired folks on a limited budget as well and if we are making a trip across country, I generally stop where and when I need/want to. We subscribed to AARP and Good Sam years ago and have found that we can save quite a bit, IF I plan my stops. By the way, some of the Truck Stops have an area for cars that allow a smaller trailer connected/RV parking; but again, there is too much noise and way too much traffic for my liking... so, I'm back to smaller RV parks, State and even some City parks, and even good old Wally.

Three years ago we spent a month in AZ and stayed at an Escapee's campground in Congress, AZ. We purchased a membership, stayed for free, and I did a little metal detecting at a nearby Gold Prospector club claim. Our complete stay for the month came out to just a couple $$/day. Not my style of campground (a bit too close to my neighbors), but complete hook-ups and it had a nice clean clubhouse, laundry, and showers a short walk away.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #14

Florida
Quote:
We're old retired folks on a limited budget as well and if we are making a trip across country, I generally stop where and when I need/want to. We subscribed to AARP and Good Sam years ago and have found that we can save quite a bit, IF I plan my stops. By the way, some of the Truck Stops have an area for cars that allow a smaller trailer connected/RV parking; but again, there is too much noise and way too much traffic for my liking... so, I'm back to smaller RV parks, State and even some City parks, and even good old Wally.

Three years ago we spent a month in AZ and stayed at an Escapee's campground in Congress, AZ. We purchased a membership, stayed for free, and I did a little metal detecting a a nearby Gold Prospector club claim. Our complete stay for the month came out to just a couple $$/day. Not my style of campground (a bit too close to my neighbors), but complete hook-ups and it had a nice clean clubhouse, laundry, and showers a short walk away.
How did you do with the metal detecting? I have a Garrett and a White's. Explore the beaches (when there is NO red tide) and do pretty well...
Old 08-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #15

Minnesota
Quote:
How did you do with the metal detecting? I have a Garrett and a White's. Explore the beaches (when there is NO red tide) and do pretty well...
Being from the Southwest desert, I was into nugget hunting. So being my first trailer was a custom built cargo. Anyway, I did okay and used a White's and then the last couple years I used mostly a Minelab GPX-5000. It was great and I generally used it in an all metal mode. Found bullet projectiles, in highly mineralized ground at nearly 16" and some several nuggets at almost a foot. However, old knees and my move to Minnesota parked my detectors and I have finally decided to sell the Minelab and buy another camera.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Being from the Southwest desert, I was into nugget hunting. So being my first trailer was a custom built cargo. Anyway, I did okay and used a White's and then the last couple years I used mostly a Minelab GPX-5000. It was great and I generally used it in an all metal mode. Found bullet projectiles, in highly mineralized ground at nearly 16" and some several nuggets at almost a foot. However, old knees and my move to Minnesota parked my detectors and I have finally decided to sell the Minelab and buy another camera.
I have a recently factory reconditioned Nikon FE. “LOADED”. Black body.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #17

Minnesota
Quote:
I have a recently factory reconditioned Nikon FE. “LOADED”. Black body.
Yep, I know what you mean, I have a couple of Canon A1s and a bag full of lenses, but I'm guessing that they are probably not worth much... they cost enough in the 70. but not today. I picked up a Canon EOS 7D Mark II digital a while back and like it well enough and I am starting to get used to it's settings.
I need to get some pics ready and will probably list my Minelab on eBay and through a Prospecting club in AZ. I paid close to $5K for it and hope to get $3500. The machine is clean, works great, I have two coils, and had it tweaked by the factory... a good buy for somebody... Kind of hate to sell it, but I'm not using and with my knees, probably won't.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 10-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #18

Texas
A few thoughts/observations looking at your model via the virtual tour. First, the bed sits over the pass thru so that is a large void that could carry sound and allow cool air to pass thru. You might look to see how well insulated that is. Secondly that unit has a lot of windows which wouldn't do much for noise or for insulation. A thought there might be adding some heavier curtains that could reduce noise and improve insulation.
JerryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #19

Oklahoma
08/18, might be taken care of by now.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
08/18, might be taken care of by now.
Wow, I totally missed that. Hopefully so.

JerryTX is offline   Reply With Quote