how long can I go for? - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Boondocking - Dry Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #1

Utah
how long can I go for?

We have a new 2018 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 255BHSL. My question is this: how long can we dry camp for? I have no sense of whether this is 1, 2, 3, or 8 days. And yes, I KNOW it depends on how much you use water, propane, and electricity, but come on....there HAS to be an average idea out there. Just trying to get an IDEA of how many days I could safely/comfortably dry camp without some major failure.

Here is the kicker: We do NOT have a generator or solar panels. So our batteries would be fully charged before departure.

Here is our typical situation. I am curious to know how long our systems would last, and which system would give out first (e.g., batteries, propane, or holding tanks).

* 2-4 people
* 46 gallons fresh water tank, but only used for sink/shower. We would bring our own drinking water.
* 39 gallon grey tank
* 28 gallon black tank
* two 12-volt deep cycle batteries would only be used for average use of furnace fan, slide-out operation, water pump, and lights (we have a manual tongue jack)
* propane (two 20# tanks) would be used for stove, furnace, fridge, and water heater.
* assume outside temperature around 40 degrees, with furnace keeping the inside to 65 or so.
* use of USB ports to charge phones as needed (but could bring battery banks instead)

My guess it that our propane would last the longest. I am most concerned about the batteries....and MAYBE the black water tank, but using other/outdoor bathrooms is always a possibility.

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
We have a new 2018 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 255BHSL. My question is this: how long can we dry camp for? I have no sense of whether this is 1, 2, 3, or 8 days. And yes, I KNOW it depends on how much you use water, propane, and electricity, but come on....there HAS to be an average idea out there. Just trying to get an IDEA of how many days I could safely/comfortably dry camp without some major failure.

Here is the kicker: We do NOT have a generator or solar panels. So our batteries would be fully charged before departure.

Here is our typical situation. I am curious to know how long our systems would last, and which system would give out first (e.g., batteries, propane, or holding tanks).

* 2-4 people
* 46 gallons fresh water tank, but only used for sink/shower. We would bring our own drinking water.
* 39 gallon grey tank
* 28 gallon black tank
* two 12-volt deep cycle batteries would only be used for average use of furnace fan, slide-out operation, water pump, and lights (we have a manual tongue jack)
* propane (two 20# tanks) would be used for stove, furnace, fridge, and water heater.
* assume outside temperature around 40 degrees, with furnace keeping the inside to 65 or so.
* use of USB ports to charge phones as needed (but could bring battery banks instead)

My guess it that our propane would last the longest. I am most concerned about the batteries....and MAYBE the black water tank, but using other/outdoor bathrooms is always a possibility.
Your electricity will run out long before your water. Furnace runs on propane but needs electricity to power the blower. Water pump runs on 12v. LIGHTS run on 12v. IF you have more than one battery (like the ones that power golf carts) you will be much better off.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #3

Utah
Thanks Franktafl. I agree...the batteries would probably go out first. We have TWO deep cycle batteries. And also, they would be needed for the water pump and slide-out operation.

So what do you think, on average? 2 days? 3 days? 4 days? More?

Maybe I should just buy a generator.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #4

Florida
If you don't have any solar panels ( not mentioned) then a generator will be a must to keep your batteries topped off.

Two days of that furnace running will definitely drain them. You do not want to let your batteries get that low, it will damage them.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post

* 2-4 people
* 39 gallon grey tank
* 28 gallon black tank

We have dry camped only over night en route at WallyWorld.

No problem with running heater all night in 16 degree weather,

But here is the kicker. We have camped at some state and Corps of Engineers Camp Grounds with no sewer.

Our gray water tanks is filling up after only two days. Black is fine.

So that may also be a limiting factor.

Have fun
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 AM   #6

Utah
Thanks Thom. Good info. I did indeed mention in my original post that we don't have solar panels OR generators. I totally understand we need SOMETHING to keep the batteries topped off for longer trips. I was just curious how many nights we could survive on batteries only. I would have thought 2 or 3, but I may be mistaken.

Does hooking the trailer up to the truck electrical line recharge the batteries at all, or is that JUST for the running/signal lights?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:06 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Gray water can go discretely on the ground. Not all tagged deep cycle batteries are true deep cycle batteries so they will be the first problem area when running the furnace blower motor.
Two days unless everyone is super conservative.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 AM   #8

Utah
Thanks sundancer 87. I will go 1-2 days. I am surprised that dry camping cannot go longer without a generator or panel. I suppose the furnace is the main culprit. If we didn't have to run that, we could probably do another 1-2 days. Thanks everyone! On to the generator store I go, I suppose.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #9

Colorado
Gonna say it, this is something you should have considered before you bought the trailer.

My Toyhauler, 160 gal fresh water, 2-48 gallon grey water tanks, 2-48 gallon black tanks.
2 - propane tanks, 5500 watt Onan Generator on board. 30 gallon generator fuel tank, 40 gallon toy fuel tank, can transfer from toy tank to generator tank.

Two adults. Two 14lb rescue dogs. I have tracked usage on short stays and figure we're good for about seven days before the grey water tanks are full.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:23 AM   #10

Florida
You should get 12 volts on pin 7 for charging your battery from truck.
It will be a slow trickle charge and truck needs to be running,

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote

« Noisy and chilly | - »