how long can I go for? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Boondocking - Dry Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #21

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
we've had our kodiak 240bhsl for about 4 years now and we dry camp alot. The problem you'll run into with your 2 batteries is running them down too low and not getting them fully recharged.especially with the standard "generic" inverter that comes in these campers, the generator needs to run for several hours in order to get the batteries fully topped back up. We would generally run it for 2ish hours in the am and a few hours in the pm. We killed a lot of batteries over the years.
We now have a 100watt solar panel mounted on the roof and still use out 2000watt generator for tv, microwave, etc. The panel does a great job at just trickle charging it throughout the day and keeping the batteries happy and we don't have to worry about just running the generator for the batteries.
We are a family of 4. We have 2 boys, 13 and 4yrs old. We generally dump grey discretely and we carry (3) 6 gallon jerry cans to refill our fresh tank. Black tank is the big problem and we can go 9 days if the boys pee outside mostly!
*like*

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #22

Alabama
Lithium batteries & solar.
Only poo in toilet that includes wife & 3 daughters. ��
Water trees with grey water.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #23

Wisconsin
Dumping Gray Water

Dumping gray water in a campsite is a serious issue in some campgrounds. Please consider others who camp nearby or will follow your stay.
Kitchen wash water attracts cute animals like racoons, possum and bears in Wisconsin state parks. You may enjoy seeing a racoon take your outdoor kitchen apart. Others may not.
Children who use your campsite after you leave have a tendency to explore the strangest places including the bushes you dumped in. Let them experience poison ivy not typhoid.
I understand dumping in wild sites when subsequent campers are not expected for a week or more. Try to be a courteous camper.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #24

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Dumping gray water in a campsite is a serious issue in some campgrounds. Please consider others who camp nearby or will follow your stay.
Kitchen wash water attracts cute animals like racoons, possum and bears in Wisconsin state parks. You may enjoy seeing a racoon take your outdoor kitchen apart. Others may not.
Children who use your campsite after you leave have a tendency to explore the strangest places including the bushes you dumped in. Let them experience poison ivy not typhoid.
I understand dumping in wild sites when subsequent campers are not expected for a week or more. Try to be a courteous camper.
For the record, we never did this while in the US but here in Aus we are about 20 years behind in regards to RV's & camping. It's only been in the last 5 years we could get a bathroom in our RV's, and having a hose run onto the ground was the norm for disposing of grey water and probably still is unless you have 70k upwards for a fancy RV. Or imported one from US like me. I had never heard of a grey or black water tank until I RV'd in US and I owned a 2003 17' coromal pop top family RV which slept 5.
You maybe lucky enough to have a drop toilet in the outback and that would be a luxury, certainly no running water. But, that's the beauty of it. After all we are discussing free camping in remote areas, our camp grounds are a lot more civilised in the cities and towns of Australia.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #25

Florida
Hello Mik68! Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to,hearing about your dentures in the real outback!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #26

Colorado
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
*like*
Thanks Franktafi, I think I'm a slow learner though as it took me close to 4 years and at least 3 sets of batteries to get to this point
In hindsight I'd have upgraded the converter to a 4 stage and installed at least a 100 Watt solar system years ago and still come out a few bucks ahead. Live and learn!
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #27

Alabama
Quote:
Hello Mik68! Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to,hearing about your dentures in the real outback!
We've had many plans to head into the outback since importing RV but unfortunately I could only afford a entry level tow vehicle, being a 98 chev suburban 6.5td, cost $20k plus $8k in repairs so far. It's given me a lot of trouble over the last few years so have no confidence in her. Can't afford the AUS$140k plus for a new one.
We'll get out there one day but for now we keep the trips within a 5 hour driving radius.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik68 View Post
We've had many plans to head into the outback since importing RV but unfortunately I could only afford a entry level tow vehicle, being a 98 chev suburban 6.5td, cost $20k plus $8k in repairs so far. It's given me a lot of trouble over the last few years so have no confidence in her. Can't afford the AUS$140k plus for a new one.
We'll get out there one day but for now we keep the trips within a 5 hour driving radius.
Some of the best times I ever had was when I went to Sydney for a week back in 1967!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #29

South Carolina
Quote:
Some of the best times I ever had was when I went to Sydney for a week back in 1967!
R&R huh?
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #30

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
R&R huh?
Yes! Was an awesome experience for an 18 yo
Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #31

South Carolina
Quote:
Yes! Was an awesome experience for an 18 yo

I had the pleasure of meeting several Aussie SAS troops at Fort Lewis. They were there training with our Green Berets. What a great bunch of guys. For some reason they took me under their wing. I was also 18, most of them and the Green Berets were well into the 30s. I was a signal corps wienie providing long haul comms between their various locations. I also knew where the good bars were haha.

Welcome HomE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote