Wiring for Awning on Voltage... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Wyoming
Wiring for Awning on Voltage...

Ok guys, got one for ya here...

My next project is replacing the canopy on my main awning. I've already ordered & received the new ones, and will be doing the job next week.

As part of that, I want to incorporate the LED lights on the roller tube. The replacement canopy I ordered has the required power-wire sewn in, so that's no issue. The problem is getting power to the lights.

So here's the question: where do the Extend/Retract wires from the awning's motor head go after they enter the bodywork of the RV? Obviously they end up at the control panel by the door... but how do they get there?

I realize that various models may differ... but for my 3200, I need to know whether they stay at the same level and pass behind the bathroom wall, or do they drop down to the basement and pass under the bathroom floor and then back up to the control panel?

The reason I ask is I have no idea how I'm going to fish a wire from the forward awning bracket where the hole already is, back to a switch in the control panel. It's at least an 8-to10 foot run with the only obvious access behind the panel.

Any ideas?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Nevada
Tom;
I looked for awning wiring. I goes into the curb side propane tank cavity then into the battery bay from there it goes into the belly then up into electrical area (back side if fuse box) I hopes this helps you. I only looked because I am getting ready to go to NHRA Toyota Nationals.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Wyoming
Yeah, thanks... I found them this weekend.

The problem I see now is how to access the rear of the control panel from the basement to run additional wire for the LEDs along the same route. My furnace is located directly in between, and I can't see any way of getting above or below it.

It seems my only route anywhere near is from the basement, behind the furnace, and into the LR area via the intake vents below my stairs. Of course, this doesn't get me into behind the panel... but at least it gets me where I can mount a separate switch under the thermostat maybe.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #4

Nevada
I would pull a speaker that is above the thermostat with a string and a nut tied onto it drop the string down the hole then reach near the furnace intake. Or you can remove the control panel and do the same with the nut and string thing. Wrap the nut with tape. Hope it helps some.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Wyoming
Yep... have done that. The issue is that there's a shelf right below that speaker blocking access. There is a small 1" gap at the rear that I've been trying to run a fish tape thru to get down there... but I can't seem to find it at the bottom. It feels as if I'm bottoming out again on yet another shelf before I get to the there. I thought at first I was hitting the top of the furnace, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Have I mentioned before that I'm not an electrician? LOL
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

Wyoming
Update... SUCCESS!!

Was able to find a cavity... had to remove the electrical outlet & cable/tv amp plates to find it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Update... SUCCESS!!

Was able to find a cavity... had to remove the electrical outlet & cable/tv amp plates to find it.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
I would pull a speaker that is above the thermostat with a string and a nut tied onto it drop the string down the hole then reach near the furnace intake. Or you can remove the control panel and do the same with the nut and string thing. Wrap the nut with tape. Hope it helps some.
This is exactly how I ran control wiring for my inverter setup. Remove control panel, but on a string then mechanical finger under furnace to grab the nut from the basement area. Worked great.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote