Wireless backup camera style - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Washington
Wireless backup camera style

Hi,
I am considering installing a wireless backup camera on my 34' Rubicon.

I was toying with the idea of the camera that mounts directly above the license plate holder as opposed to the traditional camera mounted high above.

My license plate is mounted in the center of the trailer instead of on one side so view should be accurate side to side.

Just wondering if anybody has tried this style of camera on an RV?
How is the view compared to the "birds eye" view of the traditional mounted camera?

I want to do this right, hopefully the first time. Not too crazy about drilling holes in a brand new rig, which makes the license plate mounted camera an attractive option.

All comments and thoughts appreciated.

Hahn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

Illinois
Just my opinion, but I think a low mounted lens will get obstructed and dirtier faster (albeit a lot easier to wipe off) than a high mount. While I never used a low mount, I do like the broad view and long range of the high mount. I can see traffic in side lanes approaching from a good distance, whereas if you have a low mount and you have a car behind you, your view may not be as good. Just my thoughts
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:25 AM   #3

Texas
I bet after numerous replies you will end up with something similar to.........

1. High mount has numerous advantages. After all, a camera serves as a vantage point, and the higher vantage point is simply superior in almost every way.

2. Drilling holes in our RV's give us pause. And it should! It's something that must be done properly. But it isn't brain surgery. It's just a point of entry, and absolutely necessary if you desire an awesome camera result.

I assure you there is tons of experience and advice here for accomplishing this with excellent results. Take your time planning. Gather everything you need to carry that plan out. And whala, you'll be posting pics of your rear view camera for the rest of us to want one too.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Washington
Thank you, you both make excellent points.

I will most likely end up with the high mount once enough of the newness wears off and I feel more comfortable cutting into a new rig.

I had no trouble tweaking the 1985 motor home I had previously, it's just different now as the trailer is only less than a month old......hahaha
Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

South Carolina
There ARE wireless options. This one is pricey, but designed for RVs and trucks. Others may not have the transmitter power. Seems like you could pick off 12VDC from a taillight. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wirel...wireless&psc=1
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
There ARE wireless options. This one is pricey, but designed for RVs and trucks. Others may not have the transmitter power. Seems like you could pick off 12VDC from a taillight. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wirel...wireless&psc=1

That's actually one of the systems I was considering. Pricey, as you said, but looks pretty decent.

Anybody have any experience with "4Ucam" brand?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Not a fan of wireless. I installed a wireless backup camera on my dad's Toyota Tacoma... every time we went to Taco Bell or Hardees it would pick up their security cameras!

I would vote for the high mount, gives you a much better view.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:29 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Not a fan of wireless. I installed a wireless backup camera on my dad's Toyota Tacoma... every time we went to Taco Bell or Hardees it would pick up their security cameras!

I would vote for the high mount, gives you a much better view.

Aaron
Most of them are in the 2.4 giggythingamajigs, along with alot of other wireless stuff. They can't interfere with, but must accept interference from other stuff. 😟👒

I'd go see what the big boys are running, they gotta have something special for them 54' trailers.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote