Winter storage, sit on tires or hydrolic jacks? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Winter storage, sit on tires or hydrolic jacks?

When storing for the winter do you guys let your Voltage sit on tires or level it with jacks and let it sit that way? I live in Wisconsin so it does get cold for the winters..Thanks,Derek

dhart90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
I purchased three of these "4-Way" Deck Block | RONA. I then cut 4X4 posts (for two of them) so the two together (one deck block and one 4X4) just fit under the rear steel framing of the camper near the bumper. I then lift up the front of the trailer and place the third anchor and 4X4 there at the coupler (you want to cut the 4X4 long enough so your trailer is tilted so the water drains off in the spring). Please note that you still want the tires touching the ground but that the 4X4's are supporting all the weight of the trailer and any snow you get over the winter. I then cover my tires using these http://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Accesso...ds=tire+covers

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Iowa
jack stands

I am new to the voltage but I pesonally will raise it off the grond and put it on jack stands to relieve the preasure in the hydrauic system and cover the tires over the winter. I haven't figured out how to do this with my new 3895 but thats what I did with my 2011 bullet premier. That's just my $0.02.
dkySilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Tires need to be off the ground for storage. According to all tire experts tires need exercise, if they sit for too long they will deform the belts and get flat spots, leading to failure.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #5

Oklahoma
I had a fire administrator at one time that was waaaaaay out of his element. His big thing was to exercise all the rolling stock, meaning drive the trucks around the block to keep the flat spots out. We did that anyway but he was showing his position over the low life firefighter.

I'd had enough of him one day so I instructed my engineer to rope the mechanic's creeper to the engine, wait until the admin walked in the door, and then pull the engine out so he could see the creeper being exercised.

He called me on it and I explained to him and Chief that we had been ordered to exercise the rolling stock. Creeper, wheels, rolling stock. He was lucky I hadn't made my way to the air compressor.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Colorado
Tire Rack says "Don't store a vehicle with weight on its tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than weekly drives that flex the tires and help maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds." That same advice is found elsewhere as well.

The problem as I see it is what constitutes "extended" ? So I asked that question where I purchased the tires. The answer they gave me, for what it is worth, is you should start to be concerned if they are going to sit over 6 months. They emphasized the importance of keeping the air pressure at 110 (for my tires) even while sitting. And they said to keep the tires covered.

So since our trailer has yet to sit still for 6 full months in a row since we bought it and we do have the tires covered, the way I see it is I just needed to check the air pressure once a month and I should be good.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
My rule of thumb is 3 months max on stuff sitting, I have stored many a car for military guys being deployed (I help a buddy that has a barn and will rent them space). Some want the vehicle exercised, others want it stored. I will do both. If it is going to be stored for the duration we change all the fluids, fill the fuel tank and add stabilizer, then put the car on jacks with the tires just off the floor. Cover and there it sits until they come home.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote