Wheel spacing on a Voltage 3950 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #1

Virginia
Wheel spacing on a Voltage 3950

Hello Everyone, I am hoping someone can help me out. I am trying to get everything for our RV that we will need prior to delivery. I am looking at ordering the Fastway Onestep Wheel chocks. I need to know which ones to order, either the Std. that are 16"-24" or the XL's that are 24"-30".

Either if someone has used or is using the Fastway could tell me which worked for them. Or if one of you wouldn't mind measuring between two tires where they actually meet the pavement?
Attached Images

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Arkansas
Quote:
I need to know which ones to order, either the Std. that are 16"-24" or the XL's that are 24"-30".
I just measured mine. From where the ruler touches each tire on the concrete it was 24 inches. That would seem to confuse me. I wouldn't know whether to buy the Standard or the XL. I would think both should work.

slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #3

Washington
If you can wait till tomorrow I can get you the measurement. Not familiar with that system, I use commercial style chocks and that's it. I used to use the type that goes between the tires, and still carry them, but you have to be cautious. They can bend stuff if overly tightened.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I wouldn't try and anticipate what the manufacturer will use on your unit. I would wait until it's in my yard before purchasing something that is wanting a close measurement.

They may change tire size or axle spacing or who knows what.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Wyoming
This brings up a couple of interesting questions...

1) Just how many of you use wheel chocks of some kind?

2) For those of you who use them, what type of leveling system do you have?

I've had my rig for almost a year now, and have to admit that I don't use chocks, and never have. In fact, since I have the 6-point hydraulic auto-level system... I don't see a need to. The rig is fully supported by the 6-point system.

I guess I could see the need for them if one's rig only had the manual or electric stabilizer legs... but maybe I'm doing it wrong and have just been lucky that nothing bad has happened yet.

Comments?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

I've had my rig for almost a year now, and have to admit that I don't use chocks, and never have. In fact, since I have the 6-point hydraulic auto-level system... I don't see a need to. The rig is fully supported by the 6-point system.

I guess I could see the need for them if one's rig only had the manual or electric stabilizer legs... but maybe I'm doing it wrong and have just been lucky that nothing bad has happened yet.

Comments?

I bought some of those orangy wheels chocks and have use them once since last March.

I parked on the street in front of the dealership on a downhill slope. I used them then because I really needed them.

I don't think, under normal parking conditions, that with six contact points touching the ground to get me level I need to block wheels.
I don't have kids running through my rig and bouncing off the walls so I don't feel any need to block wheels.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Comments?
I use the yellow chocks from Wal-Mart every time I park which is several times most weeks.

I have the 6-point hydraulic auto-level system.

In order to auto-level I have to unhook my truck and pull out from under the 5th wheel. If I'm on an incline (even a gentle incline) and only the front two jacks are down it sometimes tries to roll down the incline with the front two jack skidding along just a little. Even if it don't roll the gentle incline put's excessive pressure on the front jacks to keep it from rolling. I feel the chocks help protect the jacks from trying to hold the RV from rolling. After I unhook I hit the auto-level and it does it's thing from there. The chocks are just a little added protection/insurance. I probable don't need them most of the time but most Wal-Mart lots and rest areas are not exactly level.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I wouldn't try and anticipate what the manufacturer will use on your unit. I would wait until it's in my yard before purchasing something that is wanting a close measurement.

They may change tire size or axle spacing or who knows what.
I would not try to anticipate if the measurement stays on the edge of the two units but if most were getting an inch or more less then 24" between the two tires then I would not hesitate. I agree that if the measurement is 24" it could end up being either end of that.

Sounds like I may not need them, I bought a couple of 6" rubber chocks from Harbor freight so I have something if needed. I guess I will wait until I get the unit.

Thanks for everyones response and it is good to hear the units are stable with the 6 point leveling system!

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

Washington
I use them every time I disconnect the trailer, for safety, once the trailer is up on all six points it's not all that important. It's the time between disconnecting and fully supported that I worry about.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote