Water tank falling off - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Water tank falling off

Getting ready for the weekend filled the storage tanks and the rear tank is falling out (Down) on the passenger side, I can see aluminum support with (2) holes in the end near the frame, Anyone ever have this issue.

shiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

California
2016 Coleman BHWE

Last 4th of July our Water tank fell out during a trip to Lake Isabella. Still pumped Water so we used it the rest of trip and removed the Tank from Trailer prior to leaving. I then took it to the dealer. They kept the rig for a month,put a new tank in it and said I was good to go. The next weekend I was getting ready to head to the Lake and the Tank was sitting on the ground. I was just slightly pissed off at this point. I have now fixed it myself and do not trust the dealer at all. The problem was the support for the Tank had been mounted about an inch off. Instead of moving the support to tighten the gap they placed half inch spacers on both ends of the Tank. This was obviously never going to work, they were pushing it off of its only support. I never called them back concerning this, you cant fix stupid. I moved the support for Tank and added straps to make sure it doesnt fall out again. We have had no other problems with this Trailer. Its a 244BHWE

BATweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #3

Utah
Water Tank falling out.

I have a 2012 3200. Fast forward to 2015 - I noticed that the undercarriage seemed to start looking a bit..... pregnant. The dealer looked at it and said nah, it's fine.

Next trip we hauled a full load of water since we were boondocking, and on the way home we started to hear funny noises from the trailer. I crawled underneath and the underliner was ripped away on the driver's side and I could see that the tank cradle was severely bowed. As I inspected the rest of the underside it was apparent that the grey tank cradle was in the same sad shape. I strapped the tank the best I could and we limped to the dealer, as the trailer was supposedly under extended warranty (Coach-Net). Come to find out that both cradles had failed, and that the only remedy was for the dealer to fabricate new ones. The come to find out that my trailer (supposedly covered end to end) was not covered for anything attached to the frame!

Bit the bullet and had the cradles repaired. Basically they are angle iron pieces welded and sit inside another set of angle iron braces. I could have made them myself. Anyhow, on the way home from the dealer three of the screw fasteners failed and the water tank fell out again! I got the trailer home and replaced the cheap screws with grade 8 hardware, and then welded a set of extra braces underneath the cradles for extra peace of mind.

My nephew had a nearly identical issue with his Cyclone, so it seems this is pretty common.
Greybaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
This apparently is becoming and industry wide issue on many of the lighter built units. I have read of quite a few from every manufacturer. Best thing to do is beef up the mounts and move on.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Texas
We had similar problems with our 2013 Rubicon 2900. Black tank dropped off L channel support due to mis-aligment of support channel with tank and multiple broken heads on self-tapping screws used to attach the ends of the L channel to the frame. Repair required drilling out broken screws and replaced with #8 bolts and both tanks strapped in.
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote